Football Programmes Centre

Derby Days
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Derby Days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senior82

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:32 am 
Post subject: Derby Days

I'm sure i'm not alone on this one - it's the eve of a local derby for my rugby team and I feel sick already! We're at home, our opponents Doncaster have been garbage so far this year, and our superstar new signing from Fiji arrived in the country last week - yet I still feel nervous! One bookie even has Sheffield at 1/10 to win the match

It's always the same for a derby game in football or rugby, I always get a massive adrenaline rush - please tell me it's not just me!
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:06 pm 
Post subject:

Its not just you Senior!!

Having played Swansea on the weekend in the league for the first time at home in 10 years the atmosphere building up to the game was incredibly tense! Back in 1999 we were only getting crowds of 10,000 too so there were a lot of fans attending their first derby game as were now getting about 18,500 a game.

When they scored with minutes to go i thought the result was going to destroy my whole coming week! Luckily we popped up with a penalty in injury time to tie the game 2-2 and although we have had to endure jacks on the radio saying they were by far the greatest footballing team (Apparently they are the 5th best in the country after the Big 4!), we can just reflect on the fact that we have established ourselves in the CHampionship, gone through the phase of playing sexy football and grown to learn that some times its just sweat and grit that you need to grind out results which we have done well this year.

Thats why we are sitting pretty in the play offs and the "Brazilians" of the league have blown their chances. Fair play Roberto is a good manager and they have some good players but i think they will find it hard to keep hold of them in the summer and can see them struggling next year.

Thank god they have fallen away a bit from the play offs though as it was making my stomach turn thinking about having to play them in a play off final to gain promotion to the greatest league in the world, with all the money that comes with it. I dont think i would have been able to watch hardly any of the game and it would have destroyed the whole summer (and next season) if they had beaten us and got to play in the division above us next year!!

Best of luck in the game!
Senior82

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:15 am 
Post subject:

And after all the build up and hype....we lost 22-23 Crying or Very sad
paulo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:47 am 
Post subject:

Its our away derby today and I am up and about already - cant sleep!

Ours is even worse today as it is must win. With three games to go we are in the bottom 3 and need the points!
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:38 am 
Post subject:

Sorry Paulo, I'd normally wish you good luck,but ........ COME ON IPSWICH!!!!!
coolascustard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:23 pm 
Post subject:

The state we are in at the moment I will second that.
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:40 pm 
Post subject:

Yeah, I can't believe how you've got sucked back in, think you'll be fine though. I want you to stay up, with Leicester comin up, there's plenty of local Derbies for us now.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: