Football Programmes Centre

The buzz of making a saving on a rare programme.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The buzz of making a saving on a rare programme.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArabJames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:23 pm 
Post subject: The buzz of making a saving on a rare programme.

In my hunt to complete my Dundee United European collection, one of the last few I needed was the away match against Sparta Prague in 1970. Found it in 2 dealers catalogues around a year ago......£60 in one and £75 in the other.

So I've been putting the odd £1 or so away for the past wee whiley for one of them, also hoping that one may come on e-bay at some point.

After a year of waiting one finally came on and I won it........for £18!

Gives you a fair buzz, especially now it's sealed and safe in my collection with the others Smile
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:34 pm 
Post subject:

Congratulations James!

I love it when that happens! Although when I see it so cheap I always think to myself 'what am I missing here? Is there a catch?'

One thing that annoy's me though is the way alot of dealers over inflate the price of a programme when you can quite easily get it cheaper on eBay.
paulo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:10 pm 
Post subject:

Have to agree Barrett. I have been picking up England aways that dealers are selling for between £10 and £25 for less than £2!

Dealers need to get a bit more realistic or they will fade out and die!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm 
Post subject: rare programmes

Last week I bought Aston Villa vs Bolton 1929-30 season on ebay. Normal price expected to pay for something like this from a dealer would be about £80 to £100. I got if for £19. Is that it's value/ Absolutely not. Am 100% confident that it'll go for about £45 to £50 if it goes back onto ebay again some time in the future. Would I expect to get all programmes from the late 1920's at this price? Of course I wouldn't, and I wouldn't expect dealers to re-adjust their prices based on just one randomly sampled programme. I would however, expect dealers to react to the sitaution we find ourselves in at the moment and maybe price more realistically, but very few seem to go down that route.
Don't bash the full time dealers all the time. They have to make a living, and if it hadn't been for them prior to the internet there would be no programme collectors as we know them now. They've provided an important service for donkey's years, even if some of them don't accept what's happening now, and deserve more than the cheap remarks about being dinosaurs etc. Like any other commercial business the vast majority of them will br struggling nowadays. The real quality programmes still come from the long established dealers and the auction houses, not ebay. Ebay will also have it's day, and people very rarely realise the proper value of programmes on there nowadays, and that's why I'm constantly buying on there as it's a buyers rather than sellers market.
Before we criticise them further, there's quite a number of folk on here who contribute fairly regularly and also produce lists based on dealers prices, not ebay. Both can co-exist alongside each other happily as long as each part realises that unless programmes are of genuine quality now they will not sell. Genuine quality items will still find their real value in either sector.
crowdedhouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:26 pm 
Post subject: rare programmes

Just picked up the 1957 FA Cup Wrexham v Manchester United programme for 99p plus postage !!!

It's definately a buyers market at the moment, just wish some dealers realise that the market value of their stock is only what the buyer is prepared to pay NOT the price they want to sell.

I'm quite happy to watch programmes on my want list come & go at inflated prices, as eventually I'll pick up the item at a price I want to pay.

It's time to re-evaluate the market in the current financial climate as many collectors are finding disposable income drying up, therefore, the amount they will pay to enhance their collection is become more realistic. Programme collecting is coming back to more affordable levels, which is probably not a bad thing for the future of the hobby.

As Ebay shows, the numbers of programmes on sale is now around the 130,000 mark as opposed to an average of 80,000 items a couple of months ago. Yes, free listings under 99p has prompted many sellers to advertise their long-term held stock but in general their are more sellers than buyers at the moment and, I fear, many professional dealers will go under.

Come on guys, lets start pricing items at more realistic values otherwise overpricing will lead to programme stocks becoming just unsellable pieces of paper.
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

I find 99% of people's asking prices on this forum are definately realistic and amazing compared to eBay and msot dealers.

It just shows how fair and understanding the people of this forum are.
grimsbybarralad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:51 am 
Post subject:

Barrett wrote:
I find 99% of people's asking prices on this forum are definately realistic and amazing compared to eBay and msot dealers.

It just shows how fair and understanding the people of this forum are.

I'm fairly new to programme collecting but isn't e-bay the best example ever of a supply/demand curve? Admittedly some sellers have ridiculous starting prices but my experience is that generally they don't sell. What I find interesting is how random programmes can generate huge prices for no apparent reason. For example I was bidding on a GTFC programme which ended up being sold (not to me) for over £20.00. Another example of the same programme (which I no longer need) hasn't attracted a bid with a start price of 99p. As an inexperienced collector I've had to guard against paying over the odds by being dragged into a bidding war but the "thrill of the chase" and all that, coupled with the fear that you will never see the same programme again can be enough to sway even levelled headed people like me Very Happy
Having looked through a lot of dealers sites they seem to let themselves down a bit by not updating their stock records very often and in some cases presenting too broad a brush when it comes to pricing i.e. a programme against a team that has gone out of the league seems to be priced far higher than the supply would dictate.
Just the rambling observations of a newbie who is absolutely hooked on this great hobby!
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:53 am 
Post subject:

I've been collecting on/off for around 10 years now. At first I was only 11 years old so was just getting a programme each game I went to but then my uncle gave me his old programmes and that got me hooked. I stopped for a while in my mid teens and then started again around 3 years ago when I was 18. The best thing I ever done was to monitor eBay for a specific time period (a year for me) and log down the programme, date of sale, final selling price and postage costs of all the programmes I was interested in.

This now gives me an idea as to the actual value of alot of 'sought after' programmes from my club.

For example, an away european game against Dinamo Bucharest (official uefa cup programme) was quite scarce for a few months after the game and was going for stupid prices of around £60 - £80.

Then 6 months later it was on eBay with a Buy It Now price of £4.99!! Lately it has not even been selling for 99p.

Another european away game had been sold around 5-6 times in that 1 year period and always fetched around the £30 mark. So now I know that when I am bidding for that programme I know it's value and won't pay over a certain price.

eBay is a great tool for buyers and sellers and has really revolutionised the programme collecting market. Okay you can pick up a bargain or two on their but you can also get ripped off.

But for me the people of this forum are the honest type of collectors that we need. They price programmes accordingly especially in the current climate and help each other out when certain programems are sought after. There is no-one getting ripped off or programmes mis-described and when there is a problem it is sorted out straight away.

Trust in the collectors on this website and you will be rewarded over the long term! Not only in your collection but also in your pocket!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: