Football Programmes Centre

Programme Monthly coverage of this forum
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Programme Monthly coverage of this forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:56 am 
Post subject:

Since I've been here since day 2 (I think) and was part of Barrett's 2 previous fora I think I am well qualified to comment on the overall membership - as a (silent) Moderator I can also qualify my comments with some authority.

It would be greatly surprising if, with nearly 900 members, we hadn't had a few disagreements in the two years we have been live on this forum. Nevertheless the number of spats have been very few. Everyone I have dealt with has been extremely courteous and obliging. I have myself helped with many enquiries and received much valuable information. It's impossible to please all the people all the time but I can assure you that there are people on ebay (for example) who are much much worse than virtually everyone on here. We have had a few minor skirmishes - mostly disagreements with people who have come on here and acted the Proctor or become indignant when genuine, sincere opinions have been offered - without prejudice - and the advice has been rejected (does anyone remember the Man Utd teamsheet fiasco?). The reality in that case was that the person concerned didn't want to listen to honest (indeed obvious) advice. Like I say, you can't please all the people all of the time.

So I'm sure that the Editor of PMFC wants to defend his pitch (which is for sale is it not?). Trouble is we don't really care what he thinks if he selectively chooses to diss this forum. Because, almost to a man or woman, we know he is wrong.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:20 pm 
Post subject:

Vintage Steve wrote:
You have to remember that the internet has turned programme selling and collecting upside down.To many of the old brigade involved in the hobby it's the great evil that has not only decimated their trade, but destroyed the opportunities for their little scams. I personally wouldn't get too upset about the defaming of this forum.

Spot on Steve.

Personally, I've never met the PM Editor, never had no correspondance, or dealings. I have only read one copy of PM. (99% of the articles have no relevance for me). So there will be no character assassination here.

I think he's entitled to his opinion, as is everyone else. He may have a valid point about some forum members, let's face it some of them would sell their grandmothers for a few quid profit, and if you don't agree with that, great, but you're being naive.

However, as Rocky Boro rightly pointed out, there is a element, and there always has (and always will be in this hobby), that have used PM as a vehicle for basically scamming people.

From what began as a dig, at the Man U boys for expressing their opinion now appears to have escalated to some kind of monthly crusade against this forum. As Steve said 'I wouldn't worry too much'.

In a strange way, by mentioning this forum monthly, it's actually giving the site more publicity. I'm sure there's a few of PM readers who were unaware of the site, have since had a butcher's to see what all the fuss is about. Smile SB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 pm 
Post subject:

Sharrowblade;

The PM Editor john Litster was at the Lincoln fair sat behind the stall selling books which was to my right.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:16 pm 
Post subject:

Afternoon Clive,

Yes, so I was informed later. I don't think he was too impressed with my two little un's running circles around his table, casting spells from Harry Potter Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
ForestMick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:59 pm 
Post subject:

I've read this thread, and what seems to be some sort of ongoing feud between PM and this Forum. As someone who has been collecting for less than 10 years, I would be classed as one of the new breed, and like a few posters have said, buy my programmes from a variety of sources, not just the forum. Therefore, it is in all of our interests, as collectors AND dealers, to work together, not fight like schoolkids over who said what. If it wasn't for this forum, I would have stopped collecting, and I know others in the same boat. I also feel that this site makes collecting accessible to the next generation, who we need to come through to make the hobby survive. The 'Old Guard' can sit in judgement of sites like this and new collectors like me, and slowly watch the hobby die, or they can reluctantly accept that t'internet is the future of the hobby, and look at how they can work with it, not against. I think, for the sake of the hobby, its about time we all shook hands and got on with what we're here for ... collecting football programmes. Smile
ForestPaul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:13 pm 
Post subject:

Well said Mick Thumbs Up
surfinjim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:15 pm 
Post subject:

What will it be, Programme Monthly or The Programme Forum? There's only one way to find out.............FIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHTTTTTT!

Jim

Bolder, Blackhall, Williamson, Smith, Pickering, Hornsby, King, Johnson, McCulloch, Mellor, Curran.

Scorers; Mellor, King, Curran, Smith (pen)

GODS EVERY ONE OF THEM!
stodin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:29 pm 
Post subject:

surfinjim wrote:
What will it be, Programme Monthly or The Programme Forum? There's only one way to find out.............FIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHTTTTTT!

Jim

http://www.googlefight.com/ind.....amme+Forum
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 pm 
Post subject:

Very Clever Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: