Football Programmes Centre

Convery Auction 27 Oct
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Convery Auction 27 Oct

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:56 pm 
Post subject: Convery Auction 27 Oct

Hi,

Anyone else keeping an eye on this auction tomorrow? I went out to the venue to have a look today but there's not much Hibs stuff there for me. Will be interesting to see how the Nobby Stiles lots get on though. Estimate on the WC medal is 100 - 150k!!

Cheers
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm 
Post subject:

On the BBC News, his medal went for £160k

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:32 pm 
Post subject:

It did indeed. The BBC were interviewing Nobby Stiles son outside when I left. If I remember rightly the Alan Ball WC Final shirt went for £44k!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:56 pm 
Post subject:

ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:22 pm 
Post subject:

Can't understand why the Stiles family didn't approach the club directly in the first instance to see whether they were interested in purchasing some of items privately. It would have saved both parties a phenomenal amount of commission.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:40 pm 
Post subject:

Maidonian wrote:
Can't understand why the Stiles family didn't approach the club directly in the first instance to see whether they were interested in purchasing some of items privately. It would have saved both parties a phenomenal amount of commission.

...because they were spending the money on something totally irrelevant, like Rooney's wages. Glad Nobby got a decent whack for them, but it puts it all into perspective that his World Cup winning medal, European Cup winning medal and match worn shirt went for roughly the same amount that Rooney "earns" in a week.
Also, are you that naive that you don't thin United knew of his intention to sell? Do you now also think that it would have been far more beneficial to them to show proper homage to the guy and offer him say the equivalent of a month's worth of Rooney's wages aka £1 million?
Their two dealings have, I believe, totally devalued the lots when they're compared to each other.
treble99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:36 pm 
Post subject:

you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
let's take the Rooney situation first.
i think Rooney has been a complete and utter prick in his recent actions but his conduct is that of a totally uneducated man who has left everything to his skint and greedy agent.
as a result he has ruffled a lot of feathers but now earns £200k a week as opposed to the £300k a week he would have got at Manchester City.
if he stayed at United he will be declared greedy and if he left then United would be accused of having become a short sighted selling club.
there is no winner at Old Trafford but a bit of mischief is available for all other fans.
all of the above is totally irrelevant to Nobby selling his medals.
why should Rooney have any interest in Nobby's medals.
why shouldn't an average Manchester City player who is earning twice as much as Rooney buy the medals.
for exactly the same reason ie it is irrelevant.
Nobby did not sell his medals because he is broke as the papers would have the nieve readers believe.he sold so he could give the cash to his sons so he could see them have a better life before he croakes it and the taxman comes for the death duties.
he did not sell everything anyway.notice there are no charity shield medals.he played in 3 and he has 3 sons.see the mathematics!

now United didn't get a chance to buy the items.
they were hawked around by Nobby's son and a good commission deal with Convery was presumably the outcome.
as a result Nobbys son turned up at the Manchester United museum with no notice and demanded all his dad's item.
they are of course the family's but where was the courtesy of a little notice?
they have now been bought by the museum and will return to where they were.
Nobby got £400k and everybody's happy.or they should be shouldn't they
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: