Football Programmes Centre

Insuring your collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Insuring your collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
upthecounty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:05 pm 
Post subject: Insuring your collection

Good afternoon Gents.
Looking for a bit of advice ( apologies if I've posted this in the wrong area) What are your thoughts on insuring your programmes?
Can anyone recommend a specific insurance company that caters for our needs or is it more beneficial to include within your home contents insurance?
Kind regards - Scott
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:44 pm 
Post subject:

Something im very interested in too and have been for months but never looked into it properly. However this weekend i did atleast include my expensive programmes on my general home contents insurance.
upthecounty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:49 pm 
Post subject: Insuring your collection

Hi Craig, makes sense adding it to your home contents.But I want to insure my whole collection. I guess there must be dedicated insurers for this, but don't know where to look.Thought that there must be a few pearls of wisdom to be picked up from our fellow collectors.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:51 pm 
Post subject:

It’s always best to speak to your home contents insurer to check what their policy is.

I have always went on the premise that as long as each individual item in the collection is below the value on your policy then they will pay out if the worst happens eg they’ll replace a TV upto a value of £1500, or a hi-fi upto that value, or a three piece suite, I would therefore expect them to pay out for every programme upto that individual value. If you have items above the threshold, then you would need extra cover.

I have a spreadsheet of all my more valuable programmes, giving details of match, condition etc as well as what I would consider to be their “insurance value”, this is saved on my PC, it is also saved on a memory stick and stored elsewhere should my PC get stolen or the house burns down. That would then provide the insurers with details of your collection. I would also take some general photo’s illustrating the collection (and individual photos of the rarer single items) and save on said memory stick - or save to a photo hosting website. The more info you have, the more likely they’ll pay out without quibble.

My run of the mill stuff is not yet logged.
smk06

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:29 pm 
Post subject:

I've been looking into this for the last few months. These two sites were recommended on other threads;

http://www.connoisseurpolicies.com/index.asp
http://www.mjacollections.co.uk/index.html

My problem is that my collection is stored in Derby but I live in Leeds. When I finally buy my own house and stop renting I'll move my collection up to Leeds then will be able to extensively catalogue, describe condition etc.

Hope this helps.
vinnie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:39 pm 
Post subject:

Whereas I agree that insurance companies will pay out up to (say) £1,500 on any item, it is the case that a collection of football programmes will be classed as just one item. That means a total pay out of just £1,500 in the worst case scenario; ie if you have a collection valued at £40,000 then £1,500 is all you will get should there be a total loss - each programme will not be valued seperately.
Your present home contents insurance policy needs to be extended to cover the full value of your collection.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:13 pm 
Post subject:

vinnie wrote:
Whereas I agree that insurance companies will pay out up to (say) £1,500 on any item, it is the case that a collection of football programmes will be classed as just one item. That means a total pay out of just £1,500 in the worst case scenario; ie if you have a collection valued at £40,000 then £1,500 is all you will get should there be a total loss - each programme will not be valued seperately.
Your present home contents insurance policy needs to be extended to cover the full value of your collection.

In some cases yes, in some cases not, hence why it's always best to check with your individual insurer.
upthecounty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

smk06 wrote:
I've been looking into this for the last few months. These two sites were recommended on other threads;

http://www.connoisseurpolicies.com/index.asp
http://www.mjacollections.co.uk/index.html

My problem is that my collection is stored in Derby but I live in Leeds. When I finally buy my own house and stop renting I'll move my collection up to Leeds then will be able to extensively catalogue, describe condition etc.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for that, does anyone have any experiences of using that attached companies?
tcno10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:04 pm 
Post subject: insurance

it might be cheaper to insure your collection as a dealer,
mine costs just over £30 a month but its pretty comprehensive and you can relax knowing all is ok if the proverbial hit the fan
insurer is Swinton .
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: