Football Programmes Centre

Replica Tickets
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Replica Tickets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForestMick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:03 pm 
Post subject: Replica Tickets

Now before you get angry Mr. Gas, I'm new to this ticket malarky, so excuse my ignorance!! I know a guy who says that he has loads of replica tickets. Is this something that ticket collectors are interested in, or is it a bit of a joke?If its not, let me know, and I'll get him to provide a list, with prices.Cheers,Mick.
MisterGas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Mick.

I have noticed that some collectors have copies made of their rarer-tickets.

It goes something like this......

10 original tickets they have payed £100 each for.
They make copies and sell the 10 copies for £2.50 a set.
They provide a service for people who either dont want to spend £1000 on originals or maybe want them for a display or something like that.

So if the guys sells 400 sets of prints/copies...His originals have cost him NOUGHT.

Personally........Im not into copies, they are no use to me but some people maybe interested.

Big Kisses Mr G xxxx
ForestMick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:00 am 
Post subject:

Thanks for that Mr. G. Sounds like the same as progs then?I'm with you, but each to their own!!
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:25 am 
Post subject:

Just another question regarding the subject of replica tickets.

Whats the best way to tell if a ticket is a replica or original apart form the obvious discolouring etc....

Are all replica tickets distinctly marked?
MisterGas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:55 am 
Post subject:

How do we recognise replica programmes as well.

As discribed somewhere on this forum already, people will go to lengths to age replica's.

One day i may be conned but lets hope that sellers are honest.

When you have your item in your hand, the feel and smell are very noticeable but not fool proof.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:28 pm 
Post subject: Copies

Unless it's a recent big match sell out being copied, the vast majority of copies are pre 1950. Touch and feel are useful tools, especially for 1940's programmes as they were all made out of very poor quality pulped paper, due to the war effort - hence the reason why so few remain in very good condition. Smell is also a giveaway as old paper has a definite whiff about it, stale, musty, almost if they've been kept in a drawer or attic.
No doubt technology will move on and eventually be able to replicate all this?
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:00 pm 
Post subject:

Would anyone of you guys be willing to write an article on how to spot or at least try to spot 'fake/replica' tickets?

Doesnt have to be pages and pages long, just something that would be useful in helping people not get conned.

The article would be posted on the main site and, of course, be credited to yourself.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:01 pm 
Post subject: replicas

Same rule of thumb with tickets as programmes, albeit England international tickets changed their paper consistency from being more card to paper in the mid 60's, Scotland much later - late 70's/early80's still made out of thickened paper/card.
F.A.Cup Final programmes also changed over from card like to paper in the late 60's. Would certainly be more difficult to copy the thicker tickets, and even the earlier big match paper ones, but I think it's an absolute doddle to do the latter ones now. Not sure if there's any kind of watermark / franking system in use now, they used to have foil strips to try and beat the counterfeiters on matchday, but the memorabilia market's totally different. There's a guy on ebay at the moment flogging replica big match tickets from the 30's onwards for a couple of quid, the lot.
Similarly, I assume any unscrupulous operator in a club office that uses their own automated system could print tickets after the game has finished (so they have no value to the club) but could then be sold onto the memorabilia market? Indeed, would it even be unsrcupulous????
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: