Football Programmes Centre

Future Fairs 22/23
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Future Fairs 22/23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geordie Ian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:40 pm 
Post subject: Future Fairs 22/23

Just a quick question on the subject of upcoming fairs around the World Cup/Christmas break and international breaks. Whats peoples thoughts on multiple fairs on a certain date ? I have several venues that are requesting fairs but historical fairs are planned on the said dates. I can fill the venues on most weekends but historically whats been the thoughts about multiple fairs on the same day?
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:43 am 
Post subject:

Don't do it.

No benefit to dealers and punters alike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
NWM Football

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:53 pm 
Post subject:

Spot on. If memory serves there was even a case of three fairs on the same day at some point in the last year or so (wasn't it Northampton, Wolves, & somewhere else ???).

One a day please !
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
Geordie Ian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:58 pm 
Post subject: Future Fairs

Sadly if demand dictates I’m sure the nation can cope with two events on the same day. People can make a choice. Costa doesn’t close because Starbucks is open. The punters will decide and vendors can decide which venue they want to embrace.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:31 pm 
Post subject:

'Costa doesn’t close because Starbucks is open'

No but the long standing traditional local coffee shop might not be too impressed if they pitched up next door.

Ian....you sound like you've already made your choice....which brings me to the conclusion why ask the question in the first place.

The Fair scene has become quite vibrant since the pandemic. (and long may that continue).... but if a market becomes over saturated, (Fairs fighting for the same dates) supply will overtake demand and then nobody wins and will be detrimental to all.

I'm let to see evidence that there is sufficient demand to warrant more than one fair on the same day.... unless they are taking place at either end of the country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Geordie Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:55 am 

Sadly some of the historical fairs have been neglected for many a year, no effort, no invention, just pack as many dealers into a room as possible, fact. This is feedback from dealers and vendors themselves. Not my words. Id rather have a room full of class dealers providing a great service with quality items than what I've witnessed in recent times. Some embarrassing situations that have resembled a messy jumble sale. Lets not allow our passion to become a joke and keep the standards high.Yes I've made my decision and will provide alternative venues. I'm sure our nation of 60 million plus can cope with two or three fairs on the same day. With some of these events only fetching a few dozen people in recent times. Expansion is whats needed in our industry. If not its going to vanish.
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:31 am 
Post subject:

Why then did you both asking the question ?

The Boris Johnson of the programme world Shocked
Geordie Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:46 am 
Post subject:

se20blue loving your keyboard warrior skills keep any insults to yourself please.

Last edited by Geordie Ian on Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Geordie Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:50 am 

se20blue keep your sneaky keyboard warrior comments to yourself please.
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:39 am 
Post subject:

Wow!! Take it the customer service course was over subscribed?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:10 pm 
Post subject: Re: Future Fairs 22/23

Geordie Ian wrote:
Sadly some of the historical fairs have been neglected for many a year, no effort, no invention, just pack as many dealers into a room as possible, fact. This is feedback from dealers and vendors themselves. Not my words. Id rather have a room full of class dealers providing a great service with quality items than what I've witnessed in recent times. Some embarrassing situations that have resembled a messy jumble sale. Lets not allow our passion to become a joke and keep the standards high.Yes I've made my decision and will provide alternative venues. I'm sure our nation of 60 million plus can cope with two or three fairs on the same day. With some of these events only fetching a few dozen people in recent times. Expansion is whats needed in our industry. If not its going to vanish.

If, as you say, some Fairs in England only attract "a few dozen", how will it help by holding multiple Fairs on the same day?
Geordie Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:11 pm 
Post subject: Future Fairs 2022

Not being allowed to host fairs on a certain date just because historically some fairs happen on that said date , doesn’t make it a healthy market. Some venues have had dwindling numbers for years, so new venues and ideas help the industry. I’ve had numerous dealers mention to me that they drive hours to events and simple refreshments are not available after a long journey. Certain venues don’t have simple transport links. That’s not good.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:35 pm 
Post subject: Re: Future Fairs 2022

Geordie Ian wrote:
Not being allowed to host fairs on a certain date just because historically some fairs happen on that said date , doesn’t make it a healthy market. Some venues have had dwindling numbers for years, so new venues and ideas help the industry. I’ve had numerous dealers mention to me that they drive hours to events and simple refreshments are not available after a long journey. Certain venues don’t have simple transport links. That’s not good.

That doesn't really answer my question as to how holding multiple fairs on the same day will address these issues?
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:25 pm 
Post subject:

It comes down to simple economics if there was money to be made then several fairs could and would go ahead, however if they failed financially then it's self regulating, dealers can only attend one fair at a time, and some would be more lucrative than others.
Maybe fairs are in the main letting collectors meet the dealers face to face the more personal touch than you would otherwise encounter.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: