Football Programmes Centre

Strange ebay dispute - could cost me a lot
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Strange ebay dispute - could cost me a lot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:25 pm 
Post subject: Strange ebay dispute - could cost me a lot

I had an email from ebay today to tell me that a dispute had just been raised in relation to a programme I sold in February - four months ago!

The reason is stated as 'the buyer didn't recognise the transaction' and they may decide to refund the full amount. This was a high value programme that sold for £134.

Trouble is, because it was so long ago, I can't provide proof of delivery any more, even though it was sent by Signed Delivery. The buyer didn't leave feedback, which is nothing unusual. I've messaged the buyer in case this is a misunderstanding, but no response.

Has anyone else had experience of a similar issue?
BlueFinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:51 pm 

Surely after four months, it's a done deal?
The buyer didn't recognise the transaction? What does that actually mean?
If I sell something on ebay, I would hold proof of postage/recorded delivery/special delivery for a few weeks and then into the bin!!
Thanks for the warning.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:05 pm 
Post subject:

Does it mean that, when presented with the details of the sale, he is denying all knowledge?

Surely eBay will have the record of him bidding and winning the item, and that after 4 months it's far too late to open a dispute on non-delivery.

I'd be asking eBay for further clarification, may require a phone call.
Vulpes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:58 pm 
Post subject:

I'm struggling to understand how the seller bares any responsibility for this issue. Ebay must be able review the buyers account, frequency online, volume of purchases & sales, IP address used etc etc

I find it highly improbable someone has accessed the buyer's ebay account, made a successful bid and payment, amended delivery address without them realising for 4 months, especially to the tune of 100+ pounds!! Unless they're filthy rich and don't bother to check their bank account

I've had a quick scan of the ebay rules at first sight there does appear to be a loop hole allowing such a scenario which places the onus on the seller months if not years down the line to prove they sent the item..needs looking at!

Scary!
dereksuffolk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:16 pm 
Post subject:

If it was sent special delivery did you enter the tracking number when marked as dispatched on Ebay. This should still be held on the Ebay system even if the sold item is no longer shown in your sold listings after 90 days? Hope this helps and you get it sorted Derek
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:04 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the comments. It's a strange one. I've sent a couple of messages to the buyer asking what is going on - he is a long-term active ebayer with regular sales and purchases. I won't identify him just yet in case this is an honest misunderstanding.

The full text of the message from ebay reads 'Your buyer filed a payment dispute for an order placed on 20 Feb, 2022. This means that they disputed a charge directly with their payment institution. They're requesting £134.90 back, and the reason for this dispute is that the buyer didn't recognise the transaction'.

I'm wondering if this is something related to a bank or credit card, as they can charge back disputed and fraudulent purchases well beyond the normal ebay dispute period.

What makes it even stranger is that he actually bought two programmes at the same time, and they were sent in the same envelope (although I can't prove that). The other was fairly low value, and he did leave positive feedback for that one.

One bit of good news, I have now managed to locate the Royal Mail tracking number.

I've got a few days to respond to ebay. Will post any outcome here in case this happens to anyone else.
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:13 am 

I had exactly the same thing happen to me last year sometime.

In my case, I had been selling small lots of football magazines (£10-£20) to a buyer over a period of about three months with no problems.

Then he placed an order for about £200 which I posted out.

About a month later, I had a "buyer doesn't recognise the transaction" case opened for the £200 order which immediately put the payment on hold in my Ebay account.

I tried to contact the buyer with no joy, so I then phoned Ebay.

I was told that it wasn't going to be a problem for me as I had the tracking details showing delivery and that I had obviously followed Ebay's delivery address instructions.

The down side was that it took about five weeks for them and the bank involved to complete their investigation at which point my payment was released back into my account.

I never got to the bottom of what had happened completely, but it boils down to one of two things.

1. The buyer tried it on and hoped to get a freebie.

2. Somebody in the household was purchasing from somebody else's account without their knowledge which would explain why they advised their bank that they didn't recognise the transaction.

The bottom line is that all should work out ok for you Kvaratschelia, but may take a few weeks.

Good luck.
BAZZERFOX42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:54 am 

Hi Five and In .... would love that eBay phone number as have been trying 2 numbers found on Google and no response ....... for 2 months!!!
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:06 am 
Post subject: Re: Strange ebay dispute - could cost me a lot

BAZZERFOX42 wrote:
Hi Five and In .... would love that eBay phone number as have been trying 2 numbers found on Google and no response ....... for 2 months!!!

Hi Bazzer

If you go into the help and contact banner at the top of your Ebay home page, it should lead you to a page where if you scroll down there is an option to click on a banner saying "Have us call you"

There is no actual phone number to ring, but it doesn't matter because they always call back within a minute or two.

Good luck
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:08 am 
Post subject: Re: Strange ebay dispute - could cost me a lot

Five and In wrote:
BAZZERFOX42 wrote:

Hi Bazzer

If you go into the help and contact banner at the top of your Ebay home page, it should lead you to a page where if you scroll down there is an option to click on a banner saying "Have us call you"

There is no actual phone number to ring, but it doesn't matter because they always call back within a minute or two.

Good luck

I've just realised that this may only be an option if you are what they term a premium member with access to the consierge service, which I am.

If not, I can't see any numbers anywhere. Crazy!
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:02 pm 
Post subject: strange ebay dispute

No phone number, because like most firms now, they simply do not want to talk to you.
grantham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:28 pm 
Post subject:

I find the callback service REALLY good actually. Much rather they ring me than me sit on hold waiting to speak to them. Had a number of reasons to talk to ebay over the years and always been most helpful
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:27 am 
Post subject:

grantham wrote:
I find the callback service REALLY good actually. Much rather they ring me than me sit on hold waiting to speak to them. Had a number of reasons to talk to ebay over the years and always been most helpful

I agree Grantham, and the added bonus is that you get to talk to somebody in Ireland who usually knows what they are doing as opposed to a robot in Mumbai following a script Smile
overlap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:07 am 
Post subject:

Whenever I have dealt with them in Ireland I have found them totally useless unfortunately, and unable to solve anything that is not part of their pre-prepared script.
Totally inflexible with it too, just didn't want to listen.
It was only when I threatened to go to the media with my problem that they finally accepted that I was in the right, and reinstated my account (which should never have been frozen in the first place).
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:41 am 
Post subject:

An update to my previous post: the purchaser has now responded to say it is not him who has raised the dispute but his credit card company, without his knowledge.

His credit card was hacked and it appears the company is now querying all payments in recent months over a certain amount.

Thankfully - more by luck than judgement - I managed to locate the Royal Mail tracking number and, to my surprise, the delivery confirmation is still available on the Royal Mail website. So I have uploaded that screenshot as evidence, and await for news.

Meanwhile my ebay funds are frozen, pending the outcome.

The lesson from this is to ensure that you have tracking or delivery evidence for large value items, and to put the tracking number on the item when you confirm it has been posted - it will therefore remain on file.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:14 am 
Post subject:

Kvaratschelia wrote:
An update to my previous post: the purchaser has now responded to say it is not him who has raised the dispute but his credit card company, without his knowledge.

His credit card was hacked and it appears the company is now querying all payments in recent months over a certain amount.

Thankfully - more by luck than judgement - I managed to locate the Royal Mail tracking number and, to my surprise, the delivery confirmation is still available on the Royal Mail website. So I have uploaded that screenshot as evidence, and await for news.

Meanwhile my ebay funds are frozen, pending the outcome.

The lesson from this is to ensure that you have tracking or delivery evidence for large value items, and to put the tracking number on the item when you confirm it has been posted - it will therefore remain on file.

Sounds like a good outcome, and a lesson for us all when it comes to high value items and tracking.

Also, I have no idea this issue could arise with CC companies, again something to be mindful of.
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:46 am 
Post subject:

To wrap this up, the issue has now been resolved and the process took just over a month.

I have just had this message from ebay: "The buyer’s payment institution sided with the buyer. The good news is that you’re protected for this dispute under eBay's Seller Protection policy. We won't deduct the dispute amount from your funds."

The money which was being held by ebay has been returned to me.

However, what amazes me is the statement that the payment institution (ie the credit card company) sided with the buyer, despite me providing proof of tracking and a signature for delivery. It appears the buyer not only got the programme worth £134, his credit card company somehow decided it was a fraudulent purchase and has refunded him every penny.

As for me, the only reason I got the money back was by providing that proof of delivery, which activated the Seller Protection policy. It is a lesson to send everything of high value with tracking, and to keep the receipts for a long time (four months in this instance).
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:12 pm 
Post subject:

"and to keep the receipts for a long time -four months in this instance"

The above is the most interesting because 99.9% off us are honest and once we pay the money at the PO and get the receipt-we think that is that as next day the item will arrive-i keep the receipt until the buyer has left feedback then of course you know it has arrived on time.

that very slim % however will represent a few no doubt.

Do you think in light of what you have just stated about the buyer there is a case to name and shame? if only to protect others, or perhaps that constitutes something against a thief's civil liberties!

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:00 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Do you think in light of what you have just stated about the buyer there is a case to name and shame? if only to protect others, or perhaps that constitutes something against a thief's civil liberties!

Actually no, not this time. As I explained earlier in the thread, the buyer did not even know about this until I told him.

The time for a buyer to complain to ebay about non-delivery had long gone, and what happened was that his credit card was hacked. His credit card company then went through all his transactions for the last six months or so, and systematically queried every payment over a set amount (£100 I think).

Hence it was the credit card company that raised the dispute with ebay, who in turn insisted that I provide evidence of delivery. Even though I was able to do this, ebay then withheld my money for a few weeks before refunding me under their seller protection programme.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

I wonder what would have happened if you didn't have the proof of delivery, but the purchaser advised his CC company and eBay that he had received the item and that it wasn't a fraudulent transaction?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> eBay All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: