Football Programmes Centre

BADGE WEBSITE
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
BADGE WEBSITE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seasidave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:56 am 
Post subject: BADGE WEBSITE

Hi All,
My Blackpool website is now defunct after having issues being moved from Moonfruit to Yell.
Pretty mad about it as the site looked great and has taken me many hours over many years.
Just wondered who people recommend?
I’d like lots of separate pages so I can upload say 4000+ pictures and have pages for each club.
Size/layout/navigation/cost and ease to use set up being the obvious issues.
Thanks for any help
Dave
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:31 am 
Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Sounds like a pain! Hopefully you managed to rescue some of the content.

I built my own and host on IONOS (previously 1and1) - I have never had any issues in the 12+ years I have used them...

They have some really good deals, £1 a month for the first year and then approx £5 to £13 a month depending on which package you choose.

Each package comes with MySQL and PHP capabilities - which could be useful given what you are trying to achieve.

I would suggest/recommend creating very few pages and dynamically changing the content depending on the user selection.

For example: http://www.nutsandboltsarchive.co.uk/programmesSeason.php
This is just one webpage but the content changes depending on which season the user selects.... I only have to create/edit/maintain one page - but the content can be continuously extended.
Happy to go through the above if it doesn't make sense.

Hope this helps

Kenny

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:16 pm 
Post subject:

I didn't realise that Blackpool badge website was yours Dave, you should know that site was the reason I wanted my own site, as I used to spend ages looking through it and admiring it. Constantly wishing I had something similar for Newport County, but not knowing how. That was what led to me, a hopeless technophobe, creating my Flickr site five years ago.

Yours was a brilliant site and an absolutely fantastic collection of badges, mate! I bet it inspired a few others too!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
YCFC1922

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:41 pm 
Post subject:

Me too, loved looking through Daves site, in fact was gutted to try an old link I had only to find it broken. Good luck in getting sorted Dave
Seasidave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:30 pm 
Post subject:

Kcs, wiggy and YCFC - thanks for your kind words on the site I had, I’m gutted it did not pass over to yell correctly. Hours of work went into it over the years.

Thanks very much to kcs’s advise and to wiggy via private messages.

I really appreciate the help and advice guys I really do.

My plan is to start from scratch in the Winter. There will hopefully be 3 times as many badges and pictures for you to see for ALL teams.
cribsie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:30 pm 
Post subject:

Pretty much the same thing happened to my Reading website 'The Biscuitmen' a couple of years back and like yourself lots of hard work was lost. But earlier this year I relaunched it on the Wix platform having tried the free version first, and personally I'm very happy with the result. You can design it from scratch or choose from numerous templates and customise it how you want, but there is no coding required, it's more or less 'drag and drop'. On the free version you have to use the web address Wix gives you, plus it displays adverts, but it's worth doing to see what it looks like. If you then want to subscribe you can chose your own domain name, and it's possible to transfer the original address from your old site (which I did with chrisdlee.com, something that was important for me) plus the ads disappear. Another thing, it might be worth searching the 'Internet Archive' site as they save defunct websites, so yours could be there.
Seasidave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

Cheers cribsie,

Do you have a link to your website?

I’ve logged onto Wix and Flickr to have a look around.

Dave
cribsie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

Seasidave wrote:
Cheers cribsie,

Do you have a link to your website?

I’ve logged onto Wix and Flickr to have a look around.

Dave

Hi Dave, here you are https://www.chrisdlee.com/
Seasidave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:19 am 
Post subject:

Thank you
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:52 am 
Post subject:

Just to endorse 'cribsie's' view on the Wix platform. I have had a site for a couple of years now, got loads of pages and pictures on it and no real issues. Also costs me nothing as I run on the Wix domain at present.

Check it out on the link below.
Seasidave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:12 pm 
Post subject:

GreatBarrWolf wrote:
Just to endorse 'cribsie's' view on the Wix platform. I have had a site for a couple of years now, got loads of pages and pictures on it and no real issues. Also costs me nothing as I run on the Wix domain at present.

Check it out on the link below.

Great site well done and thank you.
Looking like Wix or Flckr.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:00 am 
Post subject: Websites/Issues/Costs Ect Ect

I read with interest and can only sympathize when all those images appear to be lost and years of work may have disappeared-awful.

Because of some of the horror stories and the fact that i never the time to devote to doing it myself, i stumbled upon Flickr in 2007 and added a few odds n ends and then forgot about it completely until in 2009 when i came back and i added a few more and it went from there.

The purpose of creating any website amongst collectors is not to earn from it but to share your enthusiasm and display what is important to you and if like minded individuals can get some pleasure out of seeing many of the "lost treasures" and it makes them feel good or more importantly think, "I had one of those, I went to that game" ect ect then for me all the monotony of the scanning and everything else has been made worth wile.

Flckr has changed hands a few times but currently if you want to show case your stuff and you have a lot its under a £1 a week and you can sort any format image wise but unlike a website you cannot add text unless of course you specifically set up "an album" as an intro.

This is not an advert for Flickr, just my view-much easier for me to deal with and any major issues if there are any they are sorted out by others, only been one in all these years and that was about migration but eventually everything that was feared lost-was returned.

Anyone can set up a non Flickr Pro account costs nothing, but if your serious and have a lot of stuff then go for the Pro.

I also understand that for some folks they want their own website and good luck to them, each to their own.

In my opinion there are too few sites showing individuals collections but you can always be anonymous and no need to use any names, collecting is not about keeping everything close to your chest-well it is for many but that is their choice.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: