Football Programmes Centre

Graham Budd - Sporting Gold - Stacey's - all this week
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Graham Budd - Sporting Gold - Stacey's - all this week
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:28 am 
Post subject: Graham Budd - Sporting Gold - Stacey's - all this week

Well, a busy few days for auctions!

I'm following the Graham Budd auction, lots of high quality programmes under the hammer today but I still don't "get" shirt collecting (these were yesterday)

Nothing for me at Sporting Gold on Friday but some nice stuff at Stacey's on Monday and will go to viewing for that this weekend and pop along to the new venue at Great Baddow (just outside Chelmsford) on Monday

Anyone else bidding?
Posh1959

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:44 pm 
Post subject:

Some real quality at Budds I managed to buy just 2 lots for my collection and was the underbidder on several lots. Some sky high prices and some bargains.
Sportingold in contrast for me has little to offer before me this time.
Staceys I have a phone line booked for 3 lots, but I think many of the estimates are high.
amazorblade

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:07 pm 
Post subject:

Got the item I wanted at Budd's and at a lot less than the estimate - but still cannot get over the extraordinary fees that they charge the buyer. (heaven knows what they charge the seller!). Also the combination of some clubs programmes into a single lot seemed a little strange to me.

I agree the point about shirts. As there are so many 'match worn' shirts these days I cannot believe that their value will hold up in 50 years time - especially for those players who had a limited career.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:22 pm 
Post subject:

Shirt collecting is a minefield as far as provenance is concerned. I notice the famous Aguerroooooo Man City shirt was withdrawn after online bids had reached £48k. There was also at least one other shirt withdrawn after it was pointed out to them that it wasn't what they thought it was.

As for commission, this is via Saleroom for Sportingold

Sportingold Limited
Sporting Memorabilia
27 May 2022
24.00% buyer's premium inc. VAT/sales tax
6.00% online commission inc. VAT/sales tax

Am I reading it right that you'd pay 30% if you bid via Saleroom?? that's mad.

EDIT: it seems like it;
"A buyers premium of 24% (inclusive of vat) of the hammer price is payable by the buyers of all lots. All winning bids received through The Saleroom.com are subject to an additional 4.95% (exclusive of vat) premium. Winning bids received through Easyliveauction.com are subject to an additional 3% (exclusive of vat) premium or no additional percentage if the bidder opts to pay the £3 flat fee, in which the percentage will be the standard Sportingold buyers’ premium."
amazorblade

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:34 pm 
Post subject:

Easy Live Auction fees for online bidding are cheaper for the Sportingold auction especially if you have your eye on a number of lots
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

amazorblade wrote:
Easy Live Auction fees for online bidding are cheaper for the Sportingold auction especially if you have your eye on a number of lots

Agreed, but the base 24% is way too much IMO. It seems commission charges are getting a bit out of hand.
Bokbag

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:43 am 
Post subject:

I agree entirely. To add 30% plus a large postage fee and then a processing fee completely skews prices at these auctions. Unless it is a niche programme it is far cheaper to get them on Facebook or eBay now. Best example is the 1990 World Cup Final recently. 4 have sold on eBay recently for a max of £45 posted. One went a couple of auctions ago at Sportingold for £130 including fees. It makes zero sense. Even 1958 WC programmes are about 60% overpriced at auction houses now.
Rutland

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:45 pm 
Post subject:

Graham Budd minimum postage charges is £15, that's on top of high commission charges.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:36 pm 
Post subject:

Rutland wrote:
Graham Budd minimum postage charges is £15, that's on top of high commission charges.

You're kidding me? I rarely bid at auction however I won one lot yesterday for one programme. £15 is a high percentage of the overall cost.

They can keep it if they try and charge that.
Rutland

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:46 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Rutland wrote:

You're kidding me? I rarely bid at auction however I won one lot yesterday for one programme. £15 is a high percentage of the overall cost.

They can keep it if they try and charge that.

Phone them to pay your invoice on debit card, you will find I'm not kidding.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

I bought 2 bulky lots of press photos (about 90 of them) from Loddon Auctions earlier this month. I paid 22.8% commission inc VAT and £5.55 post & packing. That, I reckon, is reasonable, but I don't know if their prices are going up next time.

Sportingold were at 20.4% inc VAT plus £3 packing plus post - but have now gone up to £24 inc VAT, with presumably the same for packing & post. New vendors are now charged 15% plus VAT (18%).

The way things are going, some auction houses will fail to attract custom from vendors and then will deter bidders. They must be very careful, but I can see some falling by the wayside. Graham Budd is no longer run by Mr Budd, the new owners are just using his name. £15 for postage is an outrage.

There may be trouble ahead..........

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:54 pm 
Post subject:

Rutland wrote:

It was actually £10, and if they're sending it Special Delivery (which they should given the value) then it's not actually too bad.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Graham Budd is no longer run by Mr Budd, the new owners are just using his name. £15 for postage is an outrage.

He was holding the gavel for a lot of this weeks auction.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:14 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Graham Budd is no longer run by Mr Budd, the new owners are just using his name. £15 for postage is an outrage.

He was holding the gavel for a lot of this weeks auction.

According to Companies House, Graham Budd has not had significant control of Graham Budd Auctions Ltd since February 2021. Ownership is now with GB Auctions Ltd. Graham Budd is still a director of Graham Budd Auctions Ltd but has no interest or ownership of GB Auctions Ltd

I can see one of the directors is also a director of Solihull Moors FC whilst the CEO (Adam Gascoigne) was previously with a shirt framing/memorabilia company (possibly still is?)

(CEO of course is a pretty ridiculous job title where a company only has two full time employees!!!)
Rutland

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:30 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Rutland wrote:

It was actually £10, and if they're sending it Special Delivery (which they should given the value) then it's not actually too bad.

You are very lucky in that case. I bought one programme and they told me that £15 was their minimum charge.
ndg1860

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:31 pm 
Post subject:

I won one lot from Budd and £10 postage charge. I also bid through their site which meant I didn't have to pay the extra thesaleroom charge.

As to Sportingold, there is quite a lot for me to bid on.

And to Stacey's only one, but I am also selling three lots there.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:15 pm 
Post subject:

Rutland wrote:
You are very lucky in that case. I bought one programme and they told me that £15 was their minimum charge.

and it's being sent Special Delivery, so for £10 it's not bad.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:02 pm 
Post subject:

I can ship up to 0.5lb from the USA with tracking and insurance for $14 or 11 pound ten pence. Up to 2lb is $23 or 18.23 pound using eBay international.
martino

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:10 pm 
Post subject:

Staceys have let me down

Not sure if I would be around I sent Dave commission bids, which were acknowledged. I bid £150 on one lot which sold for £130.

However not to me as Dave tells me that they cocked up my commission bid and it was missed. Not good.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:34 pm 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
Staceys have let me down

Not sure if I would be around I sent Dave commission bids, which were acknowledged. I bid £150 on one lot which sold for £130.

However not to me as Dave tells me that they cocked up my commission bid and it was missed. Not good.

Sorry to hear that Martino. Thankfully they got mine. I was wondering till the email arrived at 18:24.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: