Football Programmes Centre

Are our programmes worth anything !! Pompey & Man utd.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Are our programmes worth anything !! Pompey & Man utd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:15 pm 
Post subject: Are our programmes worth anything !! Pompey & Man utd.

One of the most collectable Pompey programmes postponed away v Manchester united on e bay for BIN £500

Only a year ago it would command £1000

At this rate mine will end up in the green bin !!!

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Trieste to Trapani

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:12 pm 
Post subject:

I've got a Portsmouth v Pegasus friendly single sheet somewhere. Mid fifties, reasonable condition for s/s. Never seen it on ebay but don't check very often. Is it rare/worth selling?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:02 pm 
Post subject: Re: Are our programmes worth anything !! Pompey & Man ut

pompeypete wrote:
One of the most collectable Pompey programmes postponed away v Manchester united on e bay for BIN £500

Only a year ago it would command £1000

At this rate mine will end up in the green bin !!!

Pete it was massively over priced in the first place so i am not surprised it has dropped like a lead weight. Besides, it may well be a postponed programme but it has seemed to turn up quite a bit over the years. I think the advent of Ebay and the accesability now to locate such items, coupled with some collectors now looking to cash in has brought a little bit of a glut of 1945-6-to mid 1950's United homes.

Thumbs Up

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
New Forest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:43 am 
Post subject:

It has been said time and time again over the years that a programme is only worth what someone would pay from a catalogue. Or two persons in an auction.

A programme drops in value if the supply now exceeds the serious demand. The first thing I notice from an auction catalogue is that Man U programmes are estimated three or four times that of another team from the same period. On the one hand that is bad news for the collector (good news for the seller) but there is always more choice.

At the moment we are seeing a change in collecting. The old dealers are packing up from age or worse. The collectors like me will not be around for ever and as we give up there are not many new ones coming along. Supply is now equalling demand. Mind you there are still a few sellers who think Man U v Pompey is still worth £1000.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:23 pm 
Post subject:

Makes me wonder how many people out there have digital collections, albums collected from screen shots from eBay or wherever, web sites etc.
So the actual programme is never owned, but you could however compile compete season images very easily nowadays, this option was never available back in the day.
However if I was young and interested in rare programme art/covers or an historical games from the past an image could easily be obtained and albums going back donkeys years created for nowt.
I am thinking specifically about England pre war away games.
I have screen shot a few rare ones I had never seen or new existed for ref in the future.
It makes me wonder are we dinosaurs in a digital age, I don't even get paper bills anymore, paper money if the globalists got their way would be gone.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:55 pm 
Post subject:

It's often mentioned on here that we're all old buggers, and that there's not much sign of new, young collectors coming along to replace us when we shuffle off this mortal coil, but I tend to think most collectors don't really start collecting seriously until they're in their mid-30s or older, simply because they don't have the same level of disposable income when raising young families, starting out on the mortgage chain, etc etc. Life always gets in the way.

So maybe they will come along, there certainly has never been any let up in the demand for collectibles on sites such as eBay from buyers of all ages. Hard copy programmes, tickets & general ephemera will soon be completely digital & consigned to the past forever, and that can only make such items even more desirable & collectible, surely??

They'll soon become historic relics of a bygone age. It's happening now right before our eyes. People will always collect history, it's in our make up.

Just my Two Penn 'Orth's worth, anyway.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:06 pm 
Post subject:

interesting point Raxfactor.
I was having a discussion with a young chap regards NFTs (non-fungible tokens) or digital 'one-off' art images.

He collects them as an investor even though the exact same image is everywhere on the internet... for free!!!!
So i pointed out that it was just a Ponzi scheme and basically a load of old bollox aimed at those with more money than sense Mr T Very Happy

I then explained that owning and having a rare programme, a rare vinyl albu or a rare signed photo IS unique...

kids today, eh... Confused
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:23 am 
Post subject:

Re: Digital collecting

NFT's are madness - I understand how they work but it's based on inflationary nonsense - a picture of a cartoon monkey is worth buying for £1000 because you think someone tomorrow will buy it for £2000 - and that person thinks £2000 is a good price because the next person will pay £3000 and round it goes

As far as programmes go however I'm already starting a digital collection. My plan is to try and collect one image of a home programme per club per season all the way back to 1888. That's about 10,000 images but it's all free of charge and won't take up any space
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:35 am 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
It's often mentioned on here that we're all old buggers, and that there's not much sign of new, young collectors coming along to replace us when we shuffle off this mortal coil, but I tend to think most collectors don't really start collecting seriously until they're in their mid-30s or older, simply because they don't have the same level of disposable income when raising young families, starting out on the mortgage chain, etc etc. Life always gets in the way.

So maybe they will come along, there certainly has never been any let up in the demand for collectibles on sites such as eBay from buyers of all ages. Hard copy programmes, tickets & general ephemera will soon be completely digital & consigned to the past forever, and that can only make such items even more desirable & collectible, surely??

They'll soon become historic relics of a bygone age. It's happening now right before our eyes. People will always collect history, it's in our make up.

Just my Two Penn 'Orth's worth, anyway.

Spot on Wiggy, I too get the impression that new serious collectors come onto the scene somewhere around late 30's - 40's as they seek out nostalgia, maybe re-discover their programmes when they were kids etc. Vinyl is making a comeback for much the same reasons.

I don't think we'll ever see too many kids taking up the hobby seriously these days.
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:17 pm 
Post subject:

I also agree with Wiggy here

Having started the Scottish Football Programme and Memorabilia Fairs Facebook and Twitter page last August, I would say that the majority of people following the pages appear to be mid thirties and over.

But then there are a smattering of younger fans joined and just last night I had an individual contact me privately to ask what is involved at a Programme and Memorabilia Fair as they hadn't heard of them but were interested to find out more and come along to one.

So for me, there is an opportunity to use the Social Media platforms to inform and educate younger fans about the hobby and it's benefits. At the same time, recognising that I maybe need to broaden my own horizons and not just concentrate on programmes but what also appeals to the modern football fan that will attract them to events.

I'm a great believer that most football fans are collectors, they may not realise it and may not be at the level members of this forum are, but they will have held on to programmes, shirts, badges etc. for all the reasons we know and have been discussed on here

I strongly believe there is a future of for the Hobby, maybe just not in the same kind of format we are used to.

Anyway, that's my thoughts for a Wednesday lunchtime !

Jim
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:49 pm 
Post subject:

I agree fellas. I think pre mid-30s / early 40s in age, the interest in collecting is there, just not the wherewithal. That's certainly how it was for me.

So, during that period where financial priorities lay elsewhere, those with the collecting bug tend to make do with hoarding on a wholly lesser scale, such as a programme from every game they've been to, a few badges picked up from the club shop here & there, and a couple of boyhood scarves, shirts & the like that you couldn't bear to part with, despite the fact you'd need to lose 60% of your current body weight to fit into the bugger.

Then, when the kids have flown the nest, or when the missus comes to her senses & kicks you out (in my case!), you're finally in a position to start following those boyhood dreams where as a nipper you wanted all of the programmes, all of those badges, those shirts your heroes wore, stuff you'd dreamt of owning since you were knee height to a grasshopper.

I've always said, women are far more pragmatic & mature, whilst us lads never truly grow up. And that collecting bent & the "need" to have everything is that little lad that still lives inside us all.

I honestly don't see the digital age changing that too drastically, lads will always want to collect their team's history I think. (hope!)

Merseman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm 
Post subject:

Valid points.

That said if programmes less common at games, some may never acquire 'the bug'.

Ditto postcards/stamps/coins/etc.

How are cigarette cards faring, banned for years and fewer smokers who'll remember?
Footyfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 pm 
Post subject: COLLECTING

Someone once said the only difference between Men & Boys is the cost of their toys.
So it is with out hobby, our 'toys' are more expensive because we are buying memories/nostalgia from our youth.
I stated collecting as a kid but was only able to add both quality and quantity when i was in my late 30s.
Personally, I have no real interest in the modern 40/50 page magazine that pass as match programmes preferring the programmes from my youth.
Is my collection worth anything? - it is to me! I did not start collecting to make my fortune only to relive my youth and part of the enjoyment is the search.
What happens to my collection when I pass will not bother me then again I may well dispose of it before then anyway.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:08 am 
Post subject: Re: COLLECTING

Footyfan wrote:
Someone once said the only difference between Men & Boys is the cost of their toys.
So it is with out hobby, our 'toys' are more expensive because we are buying memories/nostalgia from our youth.
I stated collecting as a kid but was only able to add both quality and quantity when i was in my late 30s.
Personally, I have no real interest in the modern 40/50 page magazine that pass as match programmes preferring the programmes from my youth.
Is my collection worth anything? - it is to me! I did not start collecting to make my fortune only to relive my youth and part of the enjoyment is the search.
What happens to my collection when I pass will not bother me then again I may well dispose of it before then anyway.

I couldn't agree more. I've always thought it's the thrill of the hunt that makes this hobby so enjoyable.

And are we satisfied when we finally hunt down & secure that treasured item?

Nope, well only for a day maybe, and then we're off hunting that next "must have" item.

Laughing

New Forest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:24 pm 
Post subject:

Looking back now my earliest programme I kept was when I was ten. I still have a book I started recording the ones I had which amounted to 171. I now have 4000 all of the same club home/away. That does not sound a lot unless you think of it as 50 per season for the last 80 years.

In those days you did not have eBay or auction houses. You might see the odd one mentioned in football magazine but that was it. It was even before clubs had shops.

Perhaps its now just to easy, especially if you have deep pockets.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:44 pm 
Post subject:

I was interested in collecting everything I could from as early as I was interested in football (age 7/8?)

Part of the collecting bug was my grandad gave me a brand new stamp collectors album and showed me how to display stamps in it, he also saved all the stamps he got in the post for me, I did the same at my home, and he got me a bottle of stamplift as well.

I was just brought up to keep things, we didn't have much but what we had we kept. If I got a comic as a treat, I'd keep it after I'd read it, and then I'd re-read it again in the future. Same with the comic 'Annuals' I'd get as presents and so on.

So I think in my case the obsession with collecting things all started with looking after what I had.

As I got older and got your own money, it was a real treat to be able to get all the football stickers in the book, or buy a copy of Shoot every week rather than when it was bought for me, only getting a copy occasionally. And I'd keep the copies and read them again and again to learn as much as I could.

I don't think the kids of today are worried about reading and learning as much as they can about their interests in the same way I did. I just was a sponge for reading and learning facts and information and knowledge.

For me football programmes always were extra special, rather than an occasional article in a magazine or newspaper, a whole programme all about your team and the club itself. A mine of information, and I was interested in every little detail.

The future value was irrelevant, to me programmes were gold dust just for what they were and all the fascinating information in them. Of course I'd want to keep them all, because of course I'd always want to be able to re-read the contents and look things up again.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:44 pm 
Post subject:

oops double post
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:42 am 
Post subject:

I think one of the major issues with programme collecting is that there appears to be no youngsters coming in to the hobby.
Go along to a football memorabilia fair and its quite noticeable of the lack of anyone under the age of 50.
I applauded those fairs that used to give younger people a free bag of programmes on entry although I don't see that much anymore...

I just don't agree with the idea that people wait till their 30s and 40s to start collecting.
I started out in my early teens as I'm sure that many on this board did.
Truth of the matter is that youngsters have a wider range of things to spend their pocket money on and when they do go to football matches they usually pick up anything rather than a football programme.
Lack of space being a major contributing factor especially in London.

Programmes are like a lot if things to do with hobby collecting, only worth what someone is willing to pay.
At the weekend three QPR reserve programmes went for between £35 and £90.
Those were very big prices and down to 3-4 of us missing them from our collection rather than anything else.
Some items still make very decent money but you do need a few interested parties rather than just one person.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: