Football Programmes Centre

Women in Football both on & off the field-your view?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Women in Football both on & off the field-your view?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goonerboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:29 pm 
Post subject:

There is a difference of course between being a broadcaster and pundit. A broadcaster is a different skillset and appointments should be based only on the relevant skills regardless of gender. In my opinion broadcasters such as Gabby Logan and Clare Balding are among the best in the business and were rightly given opportunities because they have the appropriate abilities.
However a pundit is/should be a different skillset and be based on insight and expertise through experience. Although Mourinho, Benitez, Wenger etc never played at the highest level, they have managed at it and fully understand the realities and nuances. Similarly with the guys who have played at the top level. A coach or player at a women's team does not (yet) have that expertise and insight. They may have coaching badges but then so do hundreds of other men. Their insight is based on principles and their experiences at a lower level rather than having been there. But that is also true about most professions ie experts are the ones who have the knowledge, experience and proven success. I truly hope that some of the current female managers get a chance to manage in both women's and men's games without prejudice but to me I would rather listen to the insights of someone who has expertise through having experienced the same environment.
This is not sexism but expertism. A parallel is something like Masterchef where you can see that all the chefs take far more notice of the feedback from the michelin star chefs like Monica and Marcus than they do of Gregg.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:13 am 
Post subject:

Bokbag wrote:
With all due respect to the Alex Scott point that is just rubbish. She played at the highest level possible in the women’s game including in America and has a degree in sports broadcasting. She is academically more qualified than Gary Lineker was. To dismiss her because she is a black female “because she ticks a few boxes” is very poor. But I am sure everyone didn’t blink twice when Alan Shearer with no broadcasting experience at all was given a million pound a year contract for MOTD. Broadcasting is not the same as punditry. She is very well qualified for her role. You may not like her but frankly that’s not the same as saying she is above her pay grade.

To say the women’s game hasn’t earned it is also missing the point. It needs this level of support to grow and is one of the highest played girls sports in the country. There is also a problem with women stopping playing sport and being frowned at for playing. Some of this will not change until attitudes, including coverage change. I don’t understand why it would make someone uncomfortable?! I don’t care about F1 at all but I don’t whinge because it’s on sky sports news. Why can’t we just be happy that a women’s game is growing? This has nothing to do with me having a daughter and everything to do with believing it is right that resources are used to grow a game with massive potential.

I do agree 100% with the Chelsea manager point though she is excellent and far superior to most male pundits. But by the criteria above she shouldn’t be there because she didn’t play the same game (ie women should know their place)

I think Alex Scott is shite and contributes nothing as a pundit or presenter, although it seems you're not allowed to hold that opinion these days.

Emma Hayes on the other hand is a very good pundit, Gabby Yorath is an exceptional presenter.

The point concerning the womens game is that it does not (yet) deserve the coverage it receives. There are other areas of the game that deserve the coverage afforded to the womens game, but those areas do not tick the right boxes.

In Scotland, womens club football is often televised on the BBC Scotland channel, most of the time you're lucky if there's 100 people at the game.
Super Hoopy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:30 pm 
Post subject:

Was very very impressed with Emma Hayes and her punditry during the Euros last Summer, believe me that as a QPR fan praising a Chel**a employee is not the done thing. No
However, with Emma Hayes I will make the exception.
She was head and shoulders above a lot of her male counterparts like the Nevilles, Leon Osman or even Micah Richards who appears to have been chosen as footballs answer to Kris Akabusi...awful.
Its a pity that either through her work schedule or the BBC that she's not chosen for shows such as MOTD.
HendonHotshots

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

Definitely agree on Emma Hayes comments - very knowledgeable & clearly loves/knows her football. Her commentary during the euros was excellent

Last night I thought it was a really nice touch by Brendan rogers to go out of his way to compliment her on the work she’s done for womens football (link below although I’d point out I’m not routinely a daily Mail reader!!)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10352853/amp/Leicester-City-Brendan-Rodgers-hails-Chelsea-Womens-manager-Emma-Hayes-amazing.html
James

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:39 pm 
Post subject:

I'm a male with no daughters or relatives who play womens football, however I often try and attend as many Womens games as possible.

In terms of football if you want to see:
22 players falling over blades of grass and demanding opponents get booked watch the premier league
22 Players lumping the ball all the way down the pitch to the big man up front then watch League 2 or the National League
22 Players just tear into each other for a full 90 minutes with no quit then watch a national league north/south or below game
22 Players who will work their socks of in a professional manner with a few touches of skill them watch the Womens WSL.

TalkSport and Sky have some MALE pundits on there regularly who are either completely clueless or mumble so that people cannot hear them, Clinton Morrison, the amount of people who have said they can't understand him, and then you add in the worst pundit ever Jamie O'Hara how is he even employed as a pundit, OK Merson brings some humour with his inability to pronounce players names, I would much rather listen to Michelle Owen who seems to be doing the presenting on the Football League matches as she speaks clearly concisely and can bring in the other pundits she has on the show for a conversation

If i had a choice between any of the muppets at Sky (Neville, Carragher, Redknapp Confused etc) or Emma Hayes to talk about football with i would want to speak or listen to Emma Hayes.

I was at the recent Womens FA Cup Final between Arsenal and Chelsea and Chelsea bossed it but the tactics that Chelsea went with, Arsenal with their MALE manager had no answer to combat the tactical masterclass that Hayes and her team put on, I was just about high enough in the stands to watch it unfold but it was fascinating watching that Chelsea team and their tactics.
denisosh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:42 am 
Post subject:

Whilst I agree there are a lot of sports where I don't see any good reason to segregate by sex there are also a lot where you will never get gender equivalence.

Some sports require freakish blokes (e.g. rugby) there'd have to be something seriously wrong with you as a woman to be able to compete with 16 & 17 stone muscular fit men. (Although I'm sure there's the odd specimen dotted around).

I suppose my problem is what happens if it simply drives women from some sports?
On of the sport I pay any attention to (running) the best women runners probably wouldn't be on the start line with the best males.
I've no problem with them being there, in fact I'd love it. But I do have a problem if they're not and that to me is the danger.
We end up with sports whose starting lineup is male dominated and barely a woman to be seen.

Fundamentally the problem is that the start line of a lot of sports isn't just a handful of regular people, they're a tiny percentage of the absolute best, genetically well suited to their chosen sport.
The bell curves of male/female might overlap but do they overlap enough to allow any significant number of women to make it to the startup?

Read more: https://neathousepartners.com/positive-discrimination/
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: