Football Programmes Centre

Can any Watford / Bobby Howfield fans help with this
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Can any Watford / Bobby Howfield fans help with this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 pm 
Post subject: Can any Watford / Bobby Howfield fans help with this

Picked up a few pieces of Bobby Howfield / Watford memorabilia and looking for a little help piecing this together.

The cloth badge, I can only find a blue and white version of this style for 1958/59. For the following season it looks like the badge is the style in the photograph. Where would this version of the badge have been used. It has traces of blue on the back like it may have been cut off a blue shirt ?

Also did he have any connection to the taxi industry. This may be from somewhere completely different but it was for sale along with the items pictured and also some of his NFL memorabilia from his kicking days in that sport.

I added a little about the Football League Provident Fund too, this was his as it has his signature, date signed, etc inside.

Thanks

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:06 pm 
Post subject:

Watford wore blue & white up to 1958/9 - maybe that's why there is a residue of blue material on the back.

Bobby Howfield had 2 spells at Watford, 1957-9 and then 1962-4 which is probably when the photo was taken. He also played for Crewe & Fulham and had 2 spells at Aldershot, ending his career there at age 30 in 1966.

Other than that, I don't have any other info about him but it looks like he became a cabbie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:31 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Pete.

I believe he’s in the USA. He ended his career in the USA in the NFL in the mid 70’s and the latest I have is he was in Denver. Might have moved back to England for a while in between and took to the Taxi business ? Or maybe the badge belonged to a family member ? I can’t date that as of yet.

Yip, I had this down for the 1958-59 season when they wore blue but it’s the wrong color of badge, would have been white if that was the case. Maybe black was used too.

Cheers
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

Another possibility is that the badge was worn either on a suit or blazer.
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

The Historical Football Kits page about Watford seems to have many variants on the W F C badge in your photo, but none totally matching it.

See here below, scroll down past the kits and there is history, inc badges:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Watford/Watford.htm
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:56 pm 
Post subject:

overlap wrote:
The Historical Football Kits page about Watford seems to have many variants on the W F C badge in your photo, but none totally matching it.

See here below, scroll down past the kits and there is history, inc badges:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Watford/Watford.htm

Thanks, I’d had a look at that as well.

Thanks Nutfield too, that’s a possibility as well.

I love digging into things like this. I’m not a Watford fan ( although I did have a Watford top I used for 5’s back in the early 80’s Smile ) or a Bobby Howfield fan either for that matter. Just thought they were interesting items.

Howfield must be one of very few who has played “soccer” in the U.K, the USA and “football” in the NFL as well. Might be the only one.
NWM Football

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:07 am 
Post subject:

There's an excellent historical publication which comes out three or four times a season entitled "The Watford Treasury" put together by a handful of fans with the blessing of the club and with the assistance of the Watford Museum and Watford Observer's archives. I don't recall seeing that style of crest in any of the issues published to date, or any crest on photos featuring the old blue shirts. I'd be inclined to agree that it's a blazer badge.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:07 am 
Post subject:

NWM Football wrote:
There's an excellent historical publication which comes out three or four times a season entitled "The Watford Treasury" put together by a handful of fans with the blessing of the club and with the assistance of the Watford Museum and Watford Observer's archives. I don't recall seeing that style of crest in any of the issues published to date, or any crest on photos featuring the old blue shirts. I'd be inclined to agree that it's a blazer badge.

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: