Football Programmes Centre

Giant New Year Fair in London - is it happening?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Giant New Year Fair in London - is it happening?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:50 pm 
Post subject: Giant New Year Fair in London - is it happening?

As the title says, is it happening in January?
Supermono13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:11 am 
Post subject:

I am under the impression that it has been cancelled.

A couple of people who were enquiring about stalls have been told it is not going ahead.

Not entirely sure of the reason - whether venue problems or lack of interest - but, hopefully, a clarification from someone responsible for the organising will follow sometime soon.
PaulM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:02 pm 
Post subject:

Martin Corrie invited Barry Dixey & I organise it. The previous hotel were not really interested, so we found an alternative, and made a provisional booking and contacted a wide range of dealers and other potential stallholders. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, there was nowhere near enough people interested. Below is the message sent out, which explains everything in a bit more detail

"Just to let you know we have decided not to proceed with the national New Year Programme & Memorabilia Fair in 2022. With the date less than three months away, and with the hotel pressing us to sign the contract and commit ourselves to the £2,500 booking fee Barry and I have had to make a firm decision.

For various reasons (sad deaths, worries about covid, other commitments and decisions not to attend central London events due to congestion and other road charges) a number of stallholders from the last New Year Fair (in 2020) have decided to pull out. We have approached others involved in selling football programmes, memorabilia, books etc and although there has been some interest and several positive bookings the total in terms of making the New Year Fair a comprehensive and attractive event just doesn't stack up at present.

In 2020 there were 17 stallholders, taking 48 tables in total. To date we have 9 stallholders confirmed, taking 21 tables, and a few others who say they may be interested but can't commit at this time.

We have therefore taken the decision not to go ahead with a national Fair at a central London hotel in January 2022. We have started to explore options for future years as we are still confident that an event of this kind has the potential to be successful for dealers and stallholders and believe there are a large number of collectors who would like to attend a large Programme & Memorabilia Fair at the start of the year.

We will keep you informed about developments.

Best wishes.

Paul
NWM Football

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:03 pm 
Post subject:

Not happening.

Barry Dixey & Paul Matz did look at getting something arranged, but I don't think there was enough interest to make it viable.

While this idiot Khan is in charge in London and continues to steal from motorists at every available opportunity (i.e., this so called 'temporary' extension of hours/price increase to Congestion Charge which was implemented sixteen months ago - not to mention his extortionate ULEZ charge), fewer people are going to swallow the extra expenses involved in travelling into town.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:18 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the clarification Thumbs Up
ndnewsham

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:41 pm 
Post subject:

One thing I do miss is the old Bolton programme fair, used to be absolutely packed out back in the day, as well as the Altrincham New Years Fair ?
Bokbag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:30 pm 
Post subject:

Just to clarify the changes to the congestion zone were imposed on TfL by the Tory government as a condition for bailing out TfL who lost all their income during the first lockdown. So we can blame the Tories for no programme fair in London on New Years this year Wink
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

ndnewsham wrote:
One thing I do miss is the old Bolton programme fair, used to be absolutely packed out back in the day, as well as the Altrincham New Years Fair ?

Altrincham Fair now switched to Sale a stone's throw away as was mentioned recently on the Forum

http://footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/userpix/52_salefair_1.jpg

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: