Football Programmes Centre

Press photo - Football League v League of Ireland 1951 or 55
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Press photo - Football League v League of Ireland 1951 or 55

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:44 am 
Post subject: Press photo - Football League v League of Ireland 1951 or 55

This photo was sold to me as Manchester United v Preston. Fair enough, it's Tom Finney, so it could be Preston. But it's clearly not Old Trafford, or Deepdale, and it's not Man Utd. And it's not the PP Preston badge...

It is in fact, the Football League XI against the League of Ireland, at Goodison Park, and it's either 10.10.1951 or it's 7.12.1955. Tom Finney played in both games at Goodison Park. So my question concerns the goalkeeper because if I can get him, it confirms the date.

So on 10.10.51, the LOI keeper was Paddy Neville of Drumcondra.

And on 7.12.55, the keeper was Dinny Lowry of St Patrick's Athletic.

Does anyone know the answer? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation. And the photo is available should anyone be interested in acquiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:21 am 
Post subject:

He looks like Dinny Lowry to me although before mytime. No idea what Neville looks like but Lowry was a legendary keeper in the 50's and 60's.

Here he is in another photo. Same guy?

https://comeheretome.com/2014/11/03/a-53-year-wait-ends/
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:07 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Gary, it could be Dinny, the action shot is about 5/6 years before the team photo on that site - in the absence of more definite info on Paddy Neville, I'll go with that.

Cheers Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: