Football Programmes Centre

Holywell v Wrexham Match Poster
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Holywell v Wrexham Match Poster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:07 pm 
Post subject: Holywell v Wrexham Match Poster

I purchased this Welsh League match poster a few days ago of a good eBay seller. Just liked the look of it and thought it would be interesting to research. . It’s definitely an original. lt looks like the home team are Holywell, the poster was printed by Reece Bros , Wrexham. Wrexham joined The Football League North in 1921. In their early days they played in The Welsh League for a few seasons (1894-96) . It could be, but I don’t really think the poster can be that old! Post Second- World - War , Wrexham Reserves played the odd season in The Welsh League. Admission prices to the ground on the poster are 8p and l shilling for the enclosure or stand. Boys under 15 half price.. l have been trying to date it from these admission prices and think it might be early 1930s. Has anyone got any ideas on a year for this match poster? Many thanks .
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

Wrexham and Holywell were both members of the Welsh League (North) from 58/9 to the mid 1970s when Wrexham left. The poster will refer to a game played at the Racecourse, Wrexham, rather than Halkyn Road, Holywell as Reece printers always put the opposition in bigger typesize than Wrexham on their posters to the best of my knowledge. Also Holywell had it's own printworks - Williams and Mansley in Leadworks Lane - who printed Chester's programmes for years as well as HTFC programmes in the 50s and 60s so it's safe to assume it was for a Wrexham home game in my view. If you can find out what year October 1st fell on a Saturday you should be close to getting an answer. There are guys on this forum who are far more clued up on Wrexham than me but I'm confident I am on the right lines here. A trawl through the Welsh Football Data Archive doesn't reveal Wrexham and the Wellmen competing in the same league prior to the late 50s but I stand to be corrected.
It's lovely to be able to assist with a query from my neck of the woods - doesn't happen often!
Diolch pawb, Mark Thumbs Up
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:52 am 

Mark, many thanks for taking the time to check this out. The seller did some research himself and thought it was 1929-30 Season. He did think it was a Wrexham away game. I haven’t checked this myself, but seller said the 1st Oct 1929 fell on a Saturday. Perhaps Wrexham Reserves played Holywell on this date at The Racecourse? If it was a Reserve game, would they have bothered getting posters printed? Then again, perhaps posters were printed for all Wrexham matches? If they did, l don’t think many have survived. Looking at admission prices for matches at Wrexham, they seem to fluctuate. I think you had a poster for a Racecourse match( Rhyl) from 1921. This came up looking for early Wrexham posters.. Stand and enclosure for yours was 1 shilling 6 pence. On the poster l’ve got its 1shilling for the stands and enclosure. But l don’t think that the lower price for entry to the stands on mine necessarily means its an earlier match. Perhaps they charged what they wanted for each individual game? The telephone number on the one l have got is just 377 for Breese Bros Printers, Wrexham. I don’t know if this helps identify a date? On the subject of posters , l also picked up this Widnes Rugby League team v Liverpool FC recently as well. I didn’t intend to become a poster collector, but it looks like it’s happening Laughing
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 am 
Post subject:

Interesting stuff! If Wrexham's ressies and Holywell were in the same league in 1929/30 then my guess is it would have been the Welsh National League (North) which ran from 1921/2 to 1929/30 but there are seemingly no available records for this competition to check that assumption out. As I said, there are forum members out there with a far greater knowledge of Wrexham than me and I am sure one or two will jump in and solve this conundrum for us!
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:53 pm 
Post subject:

according to this link
https://www.easycalculation.com/date-day/same-calendar-years.php

Saturday 1st October occurred in 1921 1927 1932 1938 1949 1955 1960 & 1966

NOT 1929.

added 1921

Last edited by se20blue on Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:21 pm 

se20blue, many thanks for that. If The Welsh National League ( North) ran from 1921-30 it looks like 1927 could be the year. I will see if l can check some Welsh newspapers for that 1st Oct 1927 date. They might have the fixtures.
Ugarte5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:11 pm 
Post subject:

Hi

From the research done for my Wrexham archive website it looks like it's from 1921 as that is the only time Wrexham have played Holywell on Saturday 1st October. That was also the 6th league game of the season for the reserves which (I think!) is what is on the top left of the poster.

Match info here:
https://www.wrexhamafcarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=11236

List of Wrexham games against Holywell here:
https://www.wrexhamafcarchive.co.uk/headtohead.php?id=333
Pablo2019

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:40 pm 
Post subject:

What an excellent and interesting item and even better help and responses from well informed and genuinely helpful posters, rather than the usual sarcastic, bitter ones.
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:03 pm 
Post subject:

From what I have found out, Saturday 1st October fell on the years 1932, 1938, 1949, 1955, 1960, 1966, 1977, 1983, 1988, 1994....
Hope this can assist you in some way.
By the way 1st October 1929 fell on a Tuesday.
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:05 pm 
Post subject:

Oh damn!!! Too late, info I provided was trumped by others. Great info by others.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:10 pm 

Ugarte5, thanks for that information. As Pablo said , the responce and help from forum members has been outstanding . You have even given me the team line-ups! The match no 6 printed at the top of the poster seems to confirm the date you have given me. So it’s nearly 100 years old . I better get it protected in a frame Laughing
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:13 pm 

Thanks Grumpy.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:08 pm 
Post subject: Re: Holywell v Wrexham Match Poster

Flaming Pie wrote:
I purchased this Welsh League match poster a few days ago of a good eBay seller. Just liked the look of it and thought it would be interesting to research. . It’s definitely an original. lt looks like the home team are Holywell, the poster was printed by Reece Bros , Wrexham. Wrexham joined The Football League North in 1921. In their early days they played in The Welsh League for a few seasons (1894-96) . It could be, but I don’t really think the poster can be that old! Post Second- World - War , Wrexham Reserves played the odd season in The Welsh League. Admission prices to the ground on the poster are 8p and l shilling for the enclosure or stand. Boys under 15 half price.. l have been trying to date it from these admission prices and think it might be early 1930s. Has anyone got any ideas on a year for this match poster? Many thanks .

This is what the Forum was set up for! Genuine active collectors able to show and discuss what they have and when they need some assistance in solving an issue those with the knowledge can come to their aid pretty much immediately-well done to everyone who had some input!

With the return of 3 old members coming back this week as was reported earlier in the week-it is now a much more pleasant place to be but i just wish MORE members would share what they have-keep it up! Nod

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:38 pm 
Post subject:

Well done all, a fascinating thread, a great poster and an interesting hobby to get into. Keep going, Mr Pie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:12 pm 
Post subject:

Class act is Pie.

One of the many posters I really missed during my exile, Pete.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 pm 

Thanks for that Leslie, Pete and littlewiggy. I’ve now got a grand total of three posters in my collection.. I think it gave a boost to a lot of people on this forum when littlewiggy returned from exile in Elba. Even Mary Hopkin (Sky News) said she was made up! Just received a message from America saying that two Hollywood stars are interested in the Wrexham poster, but l think it was a hoax call Laughing
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 pm 

Thanks for that Leslie, Pete and littlewiggy. I’ve now got a grand total of three posters in my collection.. I think it gave a boost to a lot of people on this forum when littlewiggy returned from exile in Elba. Even Mary Hopkin (Sky News) said she was made up! Just received a message from America saying that two Hollywood stars are interested in the Wrexham poster, but l think it was a hoax call Laughing
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:19 am 
Post subject:

Maybe a section for Posters could be sorted out as I am sure there will be quite a number in the hands of Forum members, if anyone else feels the same way then lets have a bit of a poll and if there is sufficient interest we can lobby Past Pirate?.

Here's one i "liberated" a couple of weeks ago when United played Newcastle! i could not resist it, i managed 3 before i was spotted in different locations Laughing

https://flic.kr/p/2mohdVa

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:58 pm 
Post subject:

That poster has been doing the rounds for years, I owned it about 15 years ago and it eventually sold on eBay for £125 and it was listed as from 1921 when I bought it. It’s been bought and sold at numerous auction houses and eBay ever since.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:33 am 

The life of a poster! Glad l never paid anything like that for it Cossie Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: