Football Programmes Centre

Is This Jimmy Speirs of Bradford City?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is This Jimmy Speirs of Bradford City?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:50 pm 
Post subject: Is This Jimmy Speirs of Bradford City?

I think that this is a photo of Jimmy Speirs.. Jimmy captained and scored the winning goal for Bradford City when they won the FA Cup after a replay in 1911. He joined Leeds City in 1912. After winning the Military Medal , he died at the third battle of Ypres in 1917. Can any Bradford City oficianaedoes confirm that this is indeed Jimmy ? Many thanks.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:05 pm 
Post subject:

There are 3 photos of Jimmy Speirs in "Wool City Rivals" and none of them look like this bloke. This is the clearest image:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:45 pm 

Thanks for having a look Pete. The seller thinks that he was a Bradford City player. Looks like he has got a training top on. Shirts and socks fit with City from that era, Mind you , lots of other teams had the same socks/shorts as well.. Will keep looking.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:10 pm 
Post subject:

Photo of Jimmy Spiers in 1914 Leeds City team taken from The Leeds Utd Story (1992)

Lile many good men of the time he responded to Kitchener's call 'Your Country Needs You; and enlisted in 1915, a year before conscription started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Speirs
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:58 am 

Footyfan , thanks for posting the Leeds City picture. As you said, Jimmy Speirs was certainly a brave man. Still not convinced that my pic is not him .Perhaps he had more wavy hair when he was younger during his early career before he joined Bradford City? It’s interesting to note that he was one of two players that scored winning goals in FA Cup Finals, that then lost their lives during The First World War. Jimmy scored the winner against Newcastle Unt after a replay in 1911 and Sandy Turnbull of Man Unt scored the winner against Bristol City in 1909. Sandy died in Arras, France in 1917.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:13 pm 
Post subject:

The wiki link I posted details Jimmy Spiers football career, may be worth researching the photos of teams he played for before Bradford City? These include Clyde and Rangers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Speirs

Some References (links) at the bottom of the wiki article that may prove helpful.

As an aside great website that links football and WW1 at:
https://www.footballandthefirstworldwar.org/
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:42 pm 
Post subject:

Team group showing him Cup Winners team group

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:35 pm 
Post subject: Is This Jimmy Spears of Bradford City?

Thanks nutfield, my wife is certain that it is Jimmy ( l’ve got her involved now) , but l have my doubts. His hairstyle seemed to remain the same throughout his career.. The player in my photo has more wavy hair.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: