Football Programmes Centre

Neil Danns
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Neil Danns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:18 pm 
Post subject: Neil Danns

Not strictly programme related but this week one of my local teams - gap Connah's Quay Nomads of the Welsh Premier League - signed Neil Danns until the end of the season. I must confess that in my ignorance I have never heard of him but it seems he is a Guyanan international who played over 100 games for both Crystal Palace and Bolton. So, can any of the Palace or Trotters fans on here enlighten me as to his ability and whether he is worth me making a 20 mile trip down the road to watch him play when restrictions permit?
Diolch pawb, Mark Thumbs Up
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:23 pm 
Post subject:

Great midfielder glad he's still playing must be late 30s now but good footballing brain makes up for that great player for palace wouldn't say no to him now actually late 30s or not lol
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

He was a perfectly competent Championship player when he was at Palace. He left Palace about 10 years ago, so no idea what he has been like since then, but I did notice he was captain of Bury FC when they went bust, which says he's probably still got something about him.

Good on him for keeping playing all the time he is able to - and not afraid to drop down the levels in order to do so.

Are there any games actually being played in Wales (outside of 'elite' football in the 'English' leagues?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

He's 38 now, did a great job at Palace at the time, always with an eye for goal. Credit to him for keeping fit enough to play and drop down a few levels, but I very much doubt he's going to pull up any trees now. Could be worth at least one 20-mile trip though. Go on man!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:57 pm 
Post subject: Neil Danns

Thanks Gents. I will go and watch him when we are allowed to.
'Elite' football, ie Welsh Premier League restarts tomorrow in Wales with Newtown v Penybont (how bloody elite is that!) but no spectators are allowed in which is pitiful given the ease with which social distancing could be achieved at most WPL grounds.
I feel I should have heard of Mr Danns but he never came on my radar.
If anyone is interested in non league football here in North Wales I strongly recommend my mate's website Grassroots North Wales run by my namesake Dave Jones, there's a report on Neil Danns signing on it at nwsport.co.uk
Dave is an old friend and journalism colleague of mine and his site is a fascinating read for anyone interested in the non league game in general.
Diolch eto pawb, Mark Thumbs Up
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:14 am 
Post subject:

In answer to Dorkings question as to games being played outside of Wales 'elite' Premier Division, well the answer is No. My local football team, Llantwit Major has not kicked a football in the first Division for nearly a year, along with other local teams. They did play, and won, agaist Llanelli in a cup game though. I believe it's the same for Nort Wales and Mid Wales clubs below Premier level.
foxes1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:44 am 
Post subject:

We signed him from Palace and he played about 30 games for us, he came to us with a good reputation but it didn't really work out for him at Leicester He was one of Sven Goran Eriksons buys problem was under Erickson we bought that many players in that Danns didn't really settle into the team, it was not until Erickson was sacked that Danns's form improved under Nigel Pearson he looked a fairly decent player but was sent-off in one game and I dont think he played for us again.
It comes down to the fact that some players do well under one manager but when playing for others they don't.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:27 am 
Post subject:

Saw him make his debut for Blackburn in the uefa cup against CSKA Sofia 20 years ago. Watched him develop as a youth player at Blackburn. He looked to have a very promising future but never really made it to the top.
tranmereandy1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 pm 
Post subject:

Played a few games for Tranmere, after Bury were shafted. Did ok but nothing amazing, hence not a longer spell. Must admit i did have to look up where Guyana was!
fcht1962

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:27 pm 
Post subject:

Just left Halifax where he was dreadful...
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:54 pm 
Post subject:

Looks like I won't have to wait too long to see Mr Danns in action as S4C's Sgorio football show have just announced their schedule of live games for March.

Live Sgorio matches – March 2021
Saturday 6 March – The New Saints v Bala Town – 4.45pm – S4C
Tuesday 9 March – Barry Town United v Pen-y-Bont – 7.45pm – Online
Saturday 13 March – Haverfordwest County v The New Saints – 4.45pm – S4C
Tuesday 16 March – Bala Town v Connah’s Quay – 7.45pm – Online
Saturday 20 March – Bala Town v Caernarfon Town – 2.30pm – S4C
Saturday 27 March – Caernarfon Town v Cardiff Met – 2.30pm – S4C

It's live on their facebook page but the quality is usually spot on. Looking forward to it!
Hwyl fawr pawb, Mark
Thumbs Up
AndyBRFC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:07 pm 
Post subject:

an FA Youth Cup teamsheet from when Neil was at Blackburn as a youngster Very Happy

Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you grumpypants
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: