Football Programmes Centre

WC 1966 Man United Badge
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
WC 1966 Man United Badge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:01 am 
Post subject: WC 1966 Man United Badge

Never seen one of these before, looks like those are British silver hallmarks.

I think the anchor symbol denotes Birmingham, and the lion denotes sterling. No date letter though.

Lovely badge and a rarity for sure, bit of a jaw-dropping price too ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1726.....EBIDX%3AIT

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:28 am 
Post subject: Re: WC 1966 Man United Badge

littlewiggy wrote:
Never seen one of these before, looks like those are British silver hallmarks.

I think the anchor symbol denotes Birmingham, and the lion denotes sterling. No date letter though.

Lovely badge and a rarity for sure, bit of a jaw-dropping price too ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1726.....EBIDX%3AIT

Hi Liam

This is an official badge produced by MUFC and given out to the 3 teams that played at Old Trafford during the WC Group stages.

Bulgaria-Hungary-Portugal.

I would imagine the players and the officials of those Football Associations and anyone who travelled with the respective 3 countries plus and World Cup Officials as well.

Yes it is Hallmarked Silver from the Birmingham Assay Office and the date letter is present it is the letter "q" which was stamped for 1965 which is correct as the badges were manufactured well in advance as was the printing of all the official paperwork/brochures/programme/tickets etc etc

Personally I think the price is quite a little too high and feel it may have been snapped up if it was around the £250-300 mark-hey but what do I know!

I do not have one but I would not be bidding at that level unless it was for something related to MUFC [scarce supporters badge type of thing]

I also think one or two folks may not be so keen to send their brass to Bulgaria that easily, but you can get ripped off just as easily here in the UK! Laughing
Seller looks the part and if I had an interest I would not have any issues in sending the cash there via PPal[covered anyway I guess].

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:31 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the great reply Leslie, it's always interesting to discover a back story behind a badge's issue.

Classy touch by United that, handing these beauties out to the teams they hosted.
What a lovely memento for them.

Super piece of provenance too on how it ended up in Bulgaria.

Thumbs Up

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
justlost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:44 pm 
Post subject:

the hallmark stamps are as follows
Anchor = Birmingham
Lion = Sterling silver
Q= 1965
hope this helps
holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:16 pm 
Post subject: Badge

Hi everyone
Can anyone confirm the size of this badge and whether there were different sizes produced?
Many thanks Thumbs Up
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:05 pm 
Post subject: Re: Badge

holtie96 wrote:
Hi everyone
Can anyone confirm the size of this badge and whether there were different sizes produced?
Many thanks Thumbs Up

Hi

To my knowledge there are 4 versions of this World Cup Badge, the one i am showing an image off was handed out to the World Cup organisers as far as I know, the other 3 are the same except they have the names of the Countries who participated at Old Trafford in Bulgaria, Hungary and Portugal.

The Badges were all the same size around 2.5cm in width and height or thereabouts. each with a makers mark and the Hallmark.

also at the same time Manchester United had Silver and Enamel badges produced for the Manchester United team and i have been fortunate enough to have found Noel Cantwell and David Herd-see below, these two badges are around the same dimensions

Noel Cantwell Manchester United's Club Captain in 1966 when this Badge was produced. by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Hope this helps Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:14 pm 
Post subject: Badge

Cheers Leslie
Amazing help as always Thumbs Up
holtie96

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:16 pm 
Post subject: 1966

Here is an image of my badge it’s silver hall marked
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:52 pm 
Post subject:

Excellent Condition, very nice item indeed.

Valky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:49 pm 

Such info is fantastic (even if I do only collect Chelsea badges).

Thank you!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:16 pm 

Valky wrote:
Such info is fantastic (even if I do only collect Chelsea badges).

Thank you!

Thanks, it is always appreciated when someone makes a positive comment, perhaps you can show some of your Badge collection-make a nice change too!. Thumbs Up

Valky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:21 am 

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:34 am 

Valky wrote:
http://theleftback.co.uk/

Thumbs Up

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: