Football Programmes Centre

Every Picture Tells A Story
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Every Picture Tells A Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:07 pm 
Post subject:

Growing up the FA Cup was the competition to win in my book, watching Crystal Palace our normal Cup run was either going out in the 1st or 2nd round, it was only when we were promoted in 1964 to the 2nd Division that we entered the competition in round three and we immediately had a decent cup run to the sixth round losing to finalists Leeds United. In the previous round we pulled off a Cup shock in beating Nottingham Forest 3-1.

Moving onto 1976 we had another Cup run under Malcom Allison this time reaching the semii finals, one step away from the final, only to lose to Southampton ( a game that still bugs me!). However there were highs all the way beating Leeds United, Chelsea and Sunderland, especially as Palace were in the Third Division at thew time.

Finally we reached Wembley in 1990 after beating Liverpool in the semi final, probably Palace fans most emotional and best remembered game.

Since then, sadly with the Premier League taking priority it has gone down in most peoples estimation.

What I miss about the Cup games is them all being played on a Saturday at 3pm, if you carried out a cup shock you could wallow in the glory over the weekend before the Cup draw on the following Monday.

Having an early lunch on the Monday to listen to the Cup draw on the radio at 12.30pm without knowing your clubs number in the draw.

Sad to say I do not bother watching the draws these days especially the last one when draws for round 4 and 5 were done at the same time.

If only the clubs not competing for Champions League places put out there normal first team I can see no reason why they cannot go all the way if they are playing teams mostly consisting of reserve players.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

For me, the rot set in for the FA Cup (and footblall in general) when the Premier League came into being and a club could earn vastly more for finishing, say, 8th as opposed to, say, 11th than they would for winning the Cup.
Part of the Cup's charm was the possibility of a surprise result and, occasionally, a full-blown shock result. We can all recall those games - but I can barely recollect even the Finals since, say, 1989.
I will say, though, that there's just the hint of a reverse in thetournament's fortunes this season with the "big" clubs not so inclined to bung out a reserve XI.
I thought I would really object to replays being scrapped but, to be fair to clubs, the schedule was busy enough anyway and it's also had the positive impact of clubs "going for it" on the day.
Perhaps if the eventual winner received a much-coveted CL place, then it might be a big enough carrot-on-a-stick to stimulate added interest.

Just as an aside, the best 90 minutes of football I've ever seen 'live' was in the Cup when Derby beat Forest 2-0 in Jan'83. Given the differing fortunes of the two clubs at the time , that one ranked 8/10 on the Richter Shock Scale. Which made it all the better and more memorable.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:59 pm 
Post subject:

Every year there is at least one phone in on the radio where they explore why the FA Cup has lost a lot of its magic.

And more often than not, the blame is laid on Man United not taking part one year, because they went around the world to play in a World team championship.

For me that is a weak excuse and not the real reason.

For me the main change is that 'staying up' in the Premier league is so vital for the 14 'non big 6' teams that they mostly treat it as a reserve fixture

And the top half of the Championship just want to win promotion to the money league.

Many season ticket holders know it is going to be the reserves, so don't bother attending. Whole stands at many grounds are closed. Ticket prices are cheaper as a result to try and tempt people in, which although not a bad thing, makes it feel cheap and second rate.

Games are played all over the weekend. It's most fun when you get an away game at a ground you wouldn't normally visit (ie not a club in your division) - it sounds daft but I look forward to going to a Doncaster or Cambridge far more than a game like Southampton at home which we already get every season.

The FA Cup Final was akin to the Superbowl, people all over the world tuned in, and the FA owned it. Now it always kicks off at 5.30 and is about as exciting as watching any 'big 6' pair up on a 'Super Sunday'. I only look forward to it if there's a 'non big 6' club in it - lets be honest, unless you support one of those big 6, you want a Wigan or Portsmouth win once in a while
Accies1874

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:03 pm 
Post subject: Every Picture Tells A Story

As someone from north of the border, I was always been jealous of the best cup competition in the world. Favourite earliest memories from afar were the 1970 Final replay shown live in Scotland, Colchester and the Charlie George screamer in 1971, Hereford 1972, Jim Montgomery and Sunderland in 1973, I could go on. The first cup tie I attended was Brighton's 1983 victory at Anfield on their way to Wembley. Thought this would be the highlight until I managed to obtain a ticket for the 2013 Final when Wigan with ex Hamilton players McArthur and McCarthy in the team ( I support Hamilton) overcame Manchester City. Easily my most memorable game on English soil.
Sadly the FA Cup has been devalued through the years by clubs due to the Premier League riches. I understand the clubs position but as a football fan I only want to see clubs always playing their strongest team.[/code]
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:14 pm 
Post subject:

Excellent chaps, thank you. I reckon you've all hit the nail on the head. And now for something rather ridiculous. (By the way, continue to write about #18 if you wish, don't let this one stop you).

Still on an FA Cup theme, the photo shows two Charlton players (purportedly Tommy Dawson and with the newspaper, Gordon Hurst) with suitcases at a bus-stop (though it looks more like a telegraph pole!) immediately after the 1947 Cup Final - which they won, as I know you know. Now I've been told that the paper isn't being read by Hurst but it is in fact the Addicks' goalscorer, Chris Duffy. Now I'm not Charlton's biggest fan but surely even they wouldn't have allowed their players to get the bus home after winning the Cup..... would they? So now after the conjecture, I'm asking you, have you ever seen footballers on the bus, or train, or anywhere else that's way out of context, before or after a game, and what were they up to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

Here you go Pete, a Palace response that fits the question...

Connor Wickham got the train home after scoring the winner in the 2016 FA Cup Semi Final for Palace....

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/crystal-palace-hero-connor-wickham-catches-train-home-with-fans-after-putting-club-through-to-fa-cup-final-a3233506.html

In terms of my own experiences, off the top of my head, sat opposite former Palace player David Payne on the tube going to West Ham away (when they played at Upton Park), obv. many, many years after he stopped playing;

saw Kenny Sansom at Victoria tube station on the platform, no sadly he wasn't sober;

sat next to Steve Coppell on a minibus once, he talked about England games abroad he'd been to as a player.

Player Brede Hangeland used to just get the train to home games (he used Selhurst Station). Whilst I never saw him on the train itself, I'd usually see him walking from the station to the ground.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:20 am 

Not that long ago, this was the bad old days, when top players didn’t have enough money to employ servants to do their food shopping and home deliveries hadn’t been invented, Liverpool and Everton players would often set up house on The Wirral . Tesco’s , Heswall was usually the shop of choice for a lot of these stars. Here’s some famous footballers that l have spotted there: John Barnes, Bruce Grobbelaar ( with a bloody great big cowboy hat on trying not to be noticed) , Didi Hamann, Barry Horne , Paul lnce , David James by the deli counter checking out the chicken drumsticks, Tranmere manager Johnny King waiting to have his loaf sliced, Sir Philip Carter( Everton chairman) pushing a trolley. There have been many , many more , practically every other shopper had football connections! Further along The Wirral coast, Rafa Benitez buying fish and chips in West kirby ( no salt but plenty of vinegar) Over in Liverpool city centre , Tommy Smith in the bookies, Gerry Byrne in The Cavern Pub. Manchester was also fertile ground for star spottings . Nobby Stiles , Trafford Centre Christmas shopping, he looked fed up, Sir Bobby Charlton buying a magnum from an ice cream van, this was at The GMEX Manchester Olympic bid event many years ago. This was all before The FA brought a restraining order out on me to stop me stalking footballers Very Happy
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:00 am 
Post subject:

I have a mate who lives in Heswall and have also seen a couple of legends. Michael Thomas buying some milk and Karl Heinz Riedle picking up his child from nursery.

Years ago my mum and dad used to run a pub on the main A road between Liverpool and Manchester. Aside from the numerous football supporters visiting before or after the game, we also had the occasional football and rugby stars attending. Quite a few of the Liverpool team from the 60s used to come in for a sneaky pint. I've seen Geoff Strong playing darts against Ian Callaghan and have stood watching Ian St John as he played on the pinball machine! As an 11 year old I remember thinking how big he was. Years later when I was working at Anfield I got chatting to him and told him the story, thinking how small he was! Smile

I've also seen Peter Thompson sat on the next table in a cafe on Southport Pier. This was on the day of the start of the 1970 World Cup. Peter had been part of the provisional party but left out of the full squad. His glorious suntan and intensified blonde hair was probably due to the weather he left behind in Colombia and Ecuador. I was so pleased when he waved back at me! Wave
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:30 pm 
Post subject: Every Picture Telks A Story

Jim , some great memories there. When l was a kid, early 1960s, I did meet Bill Shankly . This was at the players entrance Anfield. I suppose he wasn’t yet the legendary figure he was to become. Nice man, who took time to talk to the kids. He talked to us as if we were members of the press and told us who had had a fitness test that morning and the team line- up for the afternoon game. We were waiting for autographs and l never thought of asking the great man for his. I’m an Evertonian, but would go and watch Liverpool when l could . Don’t go shopping at Tescos , Heswall anymore, because you couldn’t move for bloody footballers Smile ln more recent times ,l have spotted Liverpool’s Mark Wright at some of the local auctions. If Pete puts up an airport photo, spotted some famous faces at Manchester. Here’s a photo of Bill Shankly at Poulton Vics FC, Wallasey early 1970s. The question is Jim , who is the famous face standing behind him?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:47 pm 
Post subject:

Not easy to see but Dixie Dean maybe?
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:53 pm 
Post subject:

Not a footballer, but loosely linked to the earlier discussion about commentators/presenters; back in 1990 or 1991 I was on a train from Manchester to Sheffield. I noticed that the bloke sitting in front of me was wearing a shiny purple shell suit. I just assumed it was the latest Manc or Scouse fashion but when we stood up to leave the train I realised it was David Icke.

For those who don’t know, Icke, played a few games for Hereford as a goalkeeper before moving to the BBC as a sports presenter. At some point in the early 90s he announced himself as some kind of messiah and started wearing turquoise. He quickly became a figure of ridicule. If I remember rightly, he thought the world was run by alien lizard like creatures in human form. He has been back in the news lately as he has been suspended from some social media due to spreading false information about Covid.

Some of my older Carlisle supporting mates tell tales of seeing Stan Bowles in the bookies about half an hour before a home match. They usually embellish it by saying he was wearing his full kit.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:05 pm 
Post subject: Every Oicture Tells A Story

You got it right Sid. Dixie Dean and Bill Shankly had great respect for each other. Dixie loved a pint, Shankly was tea total, but imagine sitting with these two that day in the bar as they talked football. Carlisleprogs,, l think it was Tommy Docherty who once said ‘if only Stan Bowles could pass a bookies the same way he could pass a football he would be a very wealthy young man’.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:29 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, Dixie Dean. Might I add that his is one of the better statues around, on a par with the gentleman stood in front of him. Wink

I have been to Goodison on numerous occasions for Derbies, and with my mates when Liverpool vouchers where being handed out for the upcoming derby! (Also used to work there as well) On one occasion in particular in the late 70s I remember seeing a big crowd surrounding someone trying to get into the main stand. I just caught a glimpse of the "celebrity" as he entered the ground. From then on I could say that I saw the great Dixie Dean at Goodison Park!

Laughing
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

The late Chic McClelland (ex-Aberdeen left back) became a typewriter salesman upon retirement and came into my office to try and sell us a few (the days just before PCs took off).

I recall him being very poilte and rather surprised I had heard of him.

Last year, I was sitting in a cafe on a rainy morning nearby work when in popped two jovial old gentlemen asking for a plate of stovies (local dish - look it up!).
Turns out they were both members of the 1970 Aberdeen squad which won the Scottish Cup that year. One was Tommy McMillan but i can't say for certain who the other was (Jimmy Smith?)

Got chatting to them and was told that they likked to meet up once a month for a long walk along the beach and finish off with a bite to eat. Sadly, one of the two, I forget which one, was stricken by that awful dementia disease so was very reliant on the other to help him.

I thought that was so nice that they had remained friends after all those years.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:36 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:

For those who don’t know, Icke, played a few games for Hereford as a goalkeeper before moving to the BBC as a sports presenter. At some point in the early 90s he announced himself as some kind of messiah and started wearing turquoise. He quickly became a figure of ridicule. If I remember rightly, he thought the world was run by alien lizard like creatures in human form. He has been back in the news lately as he has been suspended from some social media due to spreading false information about Covid.

I've got David Icke's autograph on a 70/1 Derby v Coventry reserves programme - maybe I should pass it on to a graphologist to see if it highlights any early signs of madness!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 pm 

derby , some Beatles links with Tesco’s, Heswall. Used to see McCartney’s brother Mike in there quite often by the fresh bread counter. In the 1960s, Paul purchased a house for his dad near to Heswall in Gayton. When Aunt Mimi moved to Dorset , Lennon Would stay there with Paul for their Liverpool visits . Paul , on his Wirral visits , is still spotted in Heswall shopping centre. If you want your Sgt Pepper signed, this is the place Very Happy
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:33 pm 
Post subject:

Heswall - born 24th November 1955 - the legend that is Ian Terrence Botham (ignoring the peerage)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:54 pm 
Post subject:

Fantastic stuff guys, I've barely seen any football celebrities myself, though once shared a flight and then got on the same coach as Steve Backley complete with javelins (to Helsinki). And walked shoulder to shoulder through customs at Antigua airport with Viv Richards. His shoulders were just a tad wider than mine. Oh and once sat in a departure lounge at Gatwick with Mr & Mrs Dave Sexton.

Moving on - here's #20

I thought I might mention that 25 years ago today Eric Cantona karate-kicked at that foul-mouthed (so-called) Palace fan at Selhurst Park. The photo below reminds me of that because Chelsea's Eddie McCreadie is in a very similar pose, as if he's launching himself at Sunderland's George Herd. Either that or George has given his fellow Scot an almighty shove towards the Stamford Bridge dog track. I think the latter. What amused me in this photo though, is the hypothetical telephone conversation between the newspaper Sports Editor and the photographer. "So, Fred, did you get that incredible shot of McCreadie in mid air?" "What shot? I must have been looking the wrong way!" So let me know if you were there at Selhurst Park on 25th Jan 1995 (I wasn't, but that's another story), or if you've seen an another outrageously violent incident at football, or if you've seen a photographer get caught up in the action somehow - or anything else that comes to mind. Thank you - and let's try to keep up the standard on the last few photos.
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:02 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, I was at Selhurst Park for the Cantona kung-fu kick. At the Whitehorse Lane end as that season the ground was 3 sided whilst the Holmesdale was being rebuilt. For me, Cantona had a violent streak, the red mist had descended, Fergie didn't even give him eye contact as he headed towards the tunnel, and the whole ground was revelling in his dismissal. Still a barking mad incident though, you don't even get that in non league!.

Outrageous violence? One that springs to mind was Palace v Birmingham at Selhurst Park in May 1989. The last league game of the season, and Birmingham were already relegated, to the 3rd Division for the first time in their history after a dismal season. Huge numbers of Birmingham fans turned up in fancy dress and many were very late, either through spending longer than usual in the pubs pre-match, plus long queues to get in, and some even got a train to Crystal Palace (as in the Athletics stadium) rather than Selhurst.

The away terrace was very full, and when Palace (who needed a 4-0 win to possibly finish 2nd for automatic promotion) scored the first goal, that seemed to be the signal for the Birmingham fans to spill onto the pitch, which stewards were afraid to stop as the Hillsborough disaster was only a month before.

There was then mayhem for quite some time, as fans from both sides had a huge punch up, all the more surreal for all the fancy dress costumes on show. Eventually police horses charged across the pitch, fans receded to the stands and the game resumed after something like a 25 minute break.

Palace didn't get the 4-0 win, it was 4-1 I believe (although even 4-0 wouldn't have been enough anyway in the end), but won promotion through the play offs
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:38 pm 

Dorking ,, with all the mayhem taking place in fancy dress costumes, it would have been even more bizarre if the police horses that tried to restore order had been those pantomime ones with blokes inside Very Happy Probably the most violent game l was at was Everton v Leeds ‘ The Battle of Goodison Park’ 1964. The ref had to take the two teams off the pitch to cool down. It was all a bit crazy, but l can’t remember any of the players getting badly hurt. The only Wembley game l ever attended was the 1974 Charity Shield , Liverpool v Leeds. This was the game when Johnny Giles laid out Kevin Keegan with a peach of a punch. When the Liverpool player jumped to his feet ,for some strange reason , Billy Bremner was sent off along with Keegan.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: