Football Programmes Centre

Robert Blanthorne and John Walker Liverpool Fc
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Robert Blanthorne and John Walker Liverpool Fc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:35 pm 
Post subject: Robert Blanthorne and John Walker Liverpool Fc

Robert Blanthorne ( wife’s relative) was with Liverpool 1905-08, playing mainly for The Reserves. He could knock in the goals, but he made just two first team appearances before signing for Newcastle in 1908. It looks like injuries blighted his career. The other battered old photo is John Walker , who played for Hearts , Liverpool, Rangers, Morton and Scotland( 5 caps) between 1893- 1906. I know it’s a long shot, but the question is has anyone on the forum got a programme with Robert Blanthorne in the Liverpool FC line-up , Reserves or First team,, or John Walker in any team line- up that they could display? I’m thinking Carlisleprogs could be the man . Some unbelievable programmes in your collection my friend Bow
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

Have had a look but only found a couple of potentials and sadly neither of your wife’s relatives are mentioned.

Best of luck with the search
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:54 am 
Post subject: Robert Blanthorne and John Walker Liverpool FC

Carlisleprogs, many thanks for having a look .
Gordon7co

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:20 pm 
Post subject:

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:31 pm 

Gordon, thank you so much. Brilliant!
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:45 pm 
Post subject:

Flaming Pie, I am sure you know, but Robert Blanthorne scored 5 of the goals for Grimsby in their 6 - 2 FA cup win v Carlisle on 1 February 1908. Carlisle had knocked Brentford out after a replay in the previous round.

I like looking back at the careers of these early footballers. There are good sections on Blanthorne on both the Liverpool and Newcastle history sites.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:49 pm 
Post subject: Robert Blanthorne and John Walker

Carlisleprogs, looks like greats things were expected of Blanthorne at Liverpool, but there’s a suggestion that he was lacking in speed. Locally, his early teams were Rock Ferry and Birkenhead before signing for The Reds. My wife had no idea that Blanthorne was related, but when she started doing that family tree thing all was revealed. I think there was only six other families of Blanthorne’s in the country when he was playing for Liverpool. Wife’s grandmother was a Blanthorne from Rock Ferry. John Walker’s story is interesting . After football he went to live in Canada. Sounds like he had a tragic death after a woodcutting accident when he was in his sixties. Here’s an interesting press photo ( Woodland / Fullward London) of one of the greats from the early days of football. The match is The South v The North 1902 at White Hart Lane. The player standing with the ball at his feet is the Spurs , Chelsea and England star Vivian Woodward.

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:56 pm 

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: