Football Programmes Centre

Who Collects Souvenir Pirate Programmes?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Who Collects Souvenir Pirate Programmes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

I've a few Dundalk ones in my collection all right, one from a 60s FAI Cup semi that had no other programme, and 3 almost identical ones from Dundalk’s 3 FAI Cup finals in 1977, 79 and 81, which had official programmes too.

Obviously I studiously ignore the home made crap on eBay which inevitably comes up for practically every modern away game involving a UK or Irish side!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:41 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
They're nice to have as novelty items but I wouldn't fork out big money for them. There's one for the 1948 Cup S/F between Derby and Man Utd which had a three figure sum being asked for last time I saw it on auction. Crazy.

Some variable quality pirates produced for a number of the post-war Amateur Cup Finals that I've picked up for not very much down the years. As I say - novelty items, nothing more.

Here's a couple of them:

There are a number of Pirates that were produced for the 1948 Cup Semi at Hillsbrough v Derby County but the one you are talking about is by a Printer named Prosser. It was produced to raise funds as there was a Printers Strike/issue with wages at that time and maybe funds being raised went to some workers??

It does not turn up too often for sure and one reason it has the high price plus imo it is quite a decent item even though its only 4 pages, it was printed in Red and White but i have never seen it printed in Black and White which was a "trick" employed by other "Souvenir" sellers so they could sell to the mass hordes of both sides of supporters.

Manchester United v Derby County F.A. Cup Semi-Final played at Sheffield Wednesday 1947-8. by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:46 am 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:
I also collect them but only those produced and sold at games.

I have no interest in those produced by bedroom bandits in Serbia, Ukraine, Netherlands or Brighton.

I have paid well for some in particular when no official programme was produced. Some examples from here include Shamrock Rovers late 60's friendlies v Man Utd, Everton and Celtic (69 - 68 had an official and pirate issue) where no official programmes were done. The Man Utd one sold for over £700 last year in Sportingold.

No official programme done for Bohemians v Hamburg 74 European game and I've never managed to get the pirate.

I have to say the price obtained for the Shamrock Rovers v Manchester United in 1968-9 was very high indeed, there was no official programme which goes some way to explaining it all, but the one thing that always struck me when i first saw it was the obvious spelling error on the cover!

MU-1130001 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

it is also an "OFFICIAL SOUVENIR" well it is because there is no official version! Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:55 am 
Post subject:

Here are a few others:

HSV Hamburg v Manchester United Pre-Season Match 1964-5 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Manchester Boys v Swansea Boys English Schools Trophy Final 2nd Leg 1950 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

this next one was printed in Old Gold and sold to the "Wolves End" to boost sales, there will have been a Red version also-smart tactics!

F.A. Cup Run 1948-1949 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 am 
Post subject:

AndyBRFC wrote:

then a 1965/66 FA Cup match at Carrow Road between Norwich City and Blackburn Rovers

Same template used for this one....

Also found this one.....

Can anyone can tell me how to post these images the right way up?! I've tried the rotation instructions which invariably don't work.

Confused
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

Back cover of the 4 page Arsenal issue, produced by
J BUICK and indicated as unofficial. ( Right way up this time... Confused )

Hate this one from Dutch, Ukrainian or German origin probably... Sad

garyspain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:23 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
garyspain wrote:
I also collect them but only those produced and sold at games.

I have no interest in those produced by bedroom bandits in Serbia, Ukraine, Netherlands or Brighton.

I have paid well for some in particular when no official programme was produced. Some examples from here include Shamrock Rovers late 60's friendlies v Man Utd, Everton and Celtic (69 - 68 had an official and pirate issue) where no official programmes were done. The Man Utd one sold for over £700 last year in Sportingold.

No official programme done for Bohemians v Hamburg 74 European game and I've never managed to get the pirate.

I have to say the price obtained for the Shamrock Rovers v Manchester United in 1968-9 was very high indeed, there was no official programme which goes some way to explaining it all, but the one thing that always struck me when i first saw it was the obvious spelling error on the cover!

MU-1130001 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

it is also an "OFFICIAL SOUVENIR" well it is because there is no official version! Wave

I never noticed the spelling error until you pointed it out and I have the programme for many years.

Definitely the lack of an official programme made a huge difference to the price.

I remember years ago chatting to a local collector who was collecting at the time and knew the main producer of those programmes. As a collector he didn't bother with them but said the guy had a printing press near Tolka Park in the Drumcondra area of Dublin. Dalymount Park is a short walk as well as the main Gaelic Games stadium Croke Park. He would regularly be seen selling them at all 3 venues.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:55 pm 
Post subject:

Wigan haven't been involved in many games were a pirate programme has been issued no money to be made, i wouldn't be surprised if this is the only one, be happy see more if there any out there, this is the same format used for several games in this era.

Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:11 pm 
Post subject:

Raxfactor wrote:
Wigan haven't been involved in many games were a pirate programme has been issued no money to be made, i wouldn't be surprised if this is the only one, be happy see more if there any out there, this is the same format used for several games in this era.

I used to have the official gatefold issue of this (with ticket) which I sold many years ago.

Any idea of their worth now?! Confused
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 pm 
Post subject:

Hello Jim,
not as much as it was once worth probably in the £30+ range (hopefully) for the programme back in the day it sold for higher, the ticket is scarce I don't have one so I would say its worth more than the programme.
If you sold years ago you made the right decision.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 pm 
Post subject:

a few more offerings

MU-770001 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Waterford v Manchester United European Cup 1st Round Match with Original Match Ticket Season 1968-9 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Hull City v Manchester United by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Eintracht Frankfurt v Manchester United August 1963 Pre-Season Friendly Match by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

MU-4620001 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Wave

Raxfactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:32 pm 
Post subject:

England v Scotland Feb 3rd 1945 two examples of pirates printed for this match with the war nearing its end.

Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:33 pm 
Post subject:

Just bought a palace v real Madrid one they are cack but thought it completed the official one it's got a list of cup winners on the back for some reason ?
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:02 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:07 pm 
Post subject:

Rubbish, isn't it Jim?

If you go back to page 1 of this thread, you'll see this pirate already posted, plus one for Palace v Forest 1965
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:10 pm 
Post subject:

Ahh I missed that yes they are but the o c d in me had to make it a set lol
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:22 pm 
Post subject:

Another pirate version of the Crystal Palace v Nottingham Forest FA Cup match from 1964/65

Two pirate versions were also produced for the Crystal Palace v Leeds United FA Cup 6th round match from the same season
Cpfc jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:27 pm 
Post subject:

Harry Gregg was our keeper ? he kept that quiet lol
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: