Football Programmes Centre

Every Picture Tells A Story
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Every Picture Tells A Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:58 pm 
Post subject:

As a youth, (15 or 16) every summer the Sheffield R.A used to hold training sessions in our local park, I used to sometimes rock up with the old man (He was the secretary) and join in the match at the end.

There was this one lad, who was far fitter than everyone else, and during the match if you touched him he'd be on the floor, all in good nature I assure you. He'd throw himself about with a smile on his face.

They called him 'Uriah Rennie'.

The old man said 'he knows every trick in the book, he'll make to the football League'

Since then and that's about 40 years ago he still stops to say hello, when I see him and asks about me dad, if he's not with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 pm 
Post subject:

No mention of Mark Clattenburg then.... However, Mr Uriah Rennie, I always respected him as he was doing he best never to send anyone off, until - Leicester v Palace 97/8. He red-carded Marc Edworthy who tripped a Leicester player - fair enough - except the Leicester player had been off the pitch and came back on before being waved on - he shouldn't have been on the pitch! And that was his one red card! Moving on......

The League Liner, as it became known, started life in January 1973 with "Kick-Off Disco" emblazoned on it. League Secretary Alan Hardaker is here pointing at that and launching it for the 1st match, QPR v Burnley - so the Turfites were the first to use it. Anyone here on that train? And what about later journeys, who has memories of it, the disco, the food, late arrivals, smashed windows etc? And what of Mr Hardaker, who ran the league with a rod of iron back then? Over to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:39 pm 
Post subject:

Another little story about Uriah was the time he was given a lift by the manager of Caribbean Sports here in Sheffield, I understand he used to play for them occasionally to an away game at Norton Woodseats.

When he got out the car they parted ways in the car Park. Uriah dressed in full tracksuit headed for the officials gate only to be stopped by the gateman, an old fella about 80 odd, flat cap, ciggy hanging out the corner of his mouth.

'Can't come in here son' said the Gateman.
'You don't understand I'm the ref' said Uriah
'Players have to go down there' insisted the old man.
'No, I'm the ref, honest' pleaded a perplexed Uriah

Black referees were unheard off back then, and Uriah was getting nowhere.

The old boy looked him up and down
'Do you think I was born 'f***ing yesterday son, players down there'

It took some time to sort it out I tell yer, but that would be the last time Uriah turned up at a game in a full tracksuit of one of the teams playing'

Not the brightest move Laughing
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 pm 
Post subject:

No train-spotters on here - should have guessed, really.

The occasion was Stan Matthews' 25th anniversary in the game in 1956, little did we know he'd eventually stop playing just short of his 35th. With him here are Jim Laker and Sam Bartram and Joe Mercer is behind Stan. In that year, Laker took a record 19 Australian wickets in the Manchester test - having taken all 10 wickets in an innings for his county, Surrey, against the Aussies earlier that summer. He became the first cricketer to win SPOTY too. As for Bartram, a phenomenally good keeper and a true Charlton legend. And we all have various bits of info about Sir Stan, so let's discuss these four 50's superstars. I await with interest.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 pm 
Post subject: Every Picture Tells A Story

Currently reading a Joe Mercer biography. Similar to Sharrowblade’s story about over zealous gatemen, Mercer was once nearly blocked from appearing for England against Northern lreland at Windsor Park, Belfast during the post - war period. Joe had promised a pal a ticket for the game . Prior to kick- off , he nipped out of the England dressing room to pass the ticket on to him . When he tried to get back into the stadium the commissionaire refused him entry. A bemused Joe told him that he was England’s captain for that afternoons game. He still wouldn’t budge until a passing Irish FA official told the man on the gate that he had seen photos of Mercer in the newspapers and it’s definitely him!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm 
Post subject:

Bernard Manning used to tell the story of Sebastian Coe turning up at Anfield one day and the old Gate-man, a 'nasty bastard' telling him 'not in here, you have to go all the way round to the other side, but not in here'.

Coe looking aggrieved says 'Look here do you know who I am, I'm Sebastian Coe, 1500 mtrs Olympic Gold Medallist.

The old boy didn't seem impressed 'Should't take you f****** long then'

Apologies for the language.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:47 pm 
Post subject:

Nothing posted yesterday, I have pc issues but it's behaving better today.

Arsenal v Liverpool 1964, FA Cup 5th round and 2 spectators are being ejected from the ground before the kick-off. 4 gentlemen from the constabulary are doing the ejecting. I am only assuming this pair are Liverpudlians as I would think it very unusual for home fans to be slung out before a game. But how often do you see a man being evicted with his lady (wife/girlfriend) walking alongside waving at and cajoling the crowd? So I don't supposed anyone knows this pair, but have you been thrown out? Have you been a copper at a game? Have you taken your lady to a game and been out-sung or embarrassed by her? Come on, let's hear your thoughts.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:19 pm 
Post subject:

Never been thrown out, Pete, but I was refused entry twice last season at Goodison Park and the Ettihad on grounds of suspicion that I was carrying pyrotechnics.

I quite like them Cocker Spaniels they use.... but those Cavity searches left me walking funny for a couple of hours
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: