Football Programmes Centre

POMPEY MATCHES ON ISLE OF WIGHT
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
POMPEY MATCHES ON ISLE OF WIGHT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelseapeter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:50 pm 
Post subject: POMPEY MATCHES ON ISLE OF WIGHT

HI.JUST PURCASE A 1979-80 PORTSMOUTH V CHELSEA.
SOUTH ESTERN COUNTIES.TEAM SHETT.PLAYED ON ISLE OF WIGHT.THE PERSON I BOUGHT IT FROM SAID HE ATTENDED THE MATCH.AND .SAID IT WAS A ONE OFF MATCH BY POMPEY..THE QUESTION I ASK , WAS IT THE ONLY TIME THEY PLAYED ON THE ISLAND.APART FROM FREINDLIES.
AND IS IT RARE.IT WAS PLAYED AT RYDE SPORTS GROUND
KICK OFF 11-15AM.SO POMPEY FANS COULD ATTEND THE
PORTSMOUTH V STOCKPORT CO UNTY.MATCH AT FRATTON PARK.IN THE AFTERNOON.ANY INFOMATION WOULD BE APECATED. '
facup1939

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:13 am 
Post subject:

Hi Peter

As far as I am aware this is a one off for a South East Counties game.

Portsmouth have played many friendlies on the Isle of Wight over the years, against a variety of teams.

In addition, they played a number of games in the Hampshire League and Cup during the 1950s and 1960s, until the club abolished the Reserve / Youth teams in 1965.

In 1990, they also played Newport in the Hampshire Senior Cup.

This is probably the only time however they have played a designated home game on the Island.

I think I know the person you purchased the teamsheet from. He would certainly have attended the game, probably with his father. He has forgotten more about Pompey history than most people know.
RoddyN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

I presume this was the programme to which you were referring. As you can see it took place at Ryde Sports Club on 8th September 1979.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: