Football Programmes Centre

LIVERPOOL FC PROGRAMMES : The Definitive Collector’s Guide
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LIVERPOOL FC PROGRAMMES : The Definitive Collector’s Guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:58 pm 
Post subject: LIVERPOOL FC PROGRAMMES : The Definitive Collector’s Guide

Many years ago Jim Gardiner produced the excellent "Liverpool FC Programme Guide" which covered seasons 1945/46 to 1995/96 and subsequently his checklist book a few years later. For the past four years my mate Andy Marsden has taken on the laborious task of not only updating it, but going back over every match, from every season in much finer detail. Now close to completion, he is working to a tight schedule, but hopes to have the new and updated non profit making guide printed and available by late March 2021.

Enclosed below are images of the advertising flyer that has been produced for an Early Bird pre-publication offer. The book will be essential reading for any LFC collector or fan, but from discussions with Andy I believe many collectors from other clubs will find many interesting features, and perhaps verification of ultra rare issues. Indeed, collectors from this forum have been most helpful with some of the more elusive items and will all receive accreditation within the book. Covering 75 seasons and close to 5,000 matches, images of the programme cover for every LFC issue known to exist from 1945/46 right up until 2019/20 are all included. Each season has a chapter in which he discusses the programmes, including interesting quotes and extracts, non-issues along with a few events on or off the pitch. He’s even gone on to list each programme price, volume/number/token, page count and much more.

The pictures below give an insight into the look and feel of the book, the two double page spreads at the top of the third image show some of the pages from a sample chapter. There is also mention on how to identify fake, reprint and reproduction issues. He’s given me a bit of an exclusive that isn't on the flyer regarding 25 "breakout sections" – interspersed throughout the book which provide even more detail. These include anything from pirate programmes, FA Cup Final variants (unearthing more issues than Programme Monthly has previously stated), "The Programme That Never Was", Pilot Test programmes, and some special programme issues he’s giving no clues about!

The hefty book was estimated at around 600 pages, but as the layout work is underway it now looks like it will be closer to 750 or 800 A4 plus pages. Probably the biggest football programme book ever produced to date. If you are interested in purchasing a copy at the pre-publication price (you’ll also receive a free 84pp checklist book) then the last picture includes Andy’s contact details, please remember to mention the forum when contacting him to secure the price which is valid until 31 January 2021

Andy has done all the work for free, he just has design and print costs to cover, after that all profits are going to the LFC Foundation, the charity of Liverpool Football Club.It would be great if some forum members could support this project as the money will ultimately be going to good causes close to the football ground plus it sounds like a great project and very worthy read indeed.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:57 pm 
Post subject:

Just emailed him to order a copy.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Benno Spire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:34 pm 
Post subject:

Looks amazing, wish there was one of these for each club
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:26 pm 
Post subject:

Mine is on order and paid for.
Would love to do similar for Rovers so this may give me some ideas.
May not be as many customers for Rovers though so might have to keep the price a bit lower I think.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

The dedication and effort to produce something like this is incredible. Massive congratulations to Andy
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:39 pm 
Post subject:

I will be ordering this, looks a fantastic achievement
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:03 pm 
Post subject:

Following on from my earlier post, Andy is still fully immersed in trying to complete his upcoming book – LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL PROGRAMMES:The Definitive Collector’s Guide. He tells me 25 of the 75 seasons have been returned by the designer and he is now working with the editor to check through these early chapters. Hitting the estimated late March 2021 publication date hangs in the balance due to delays as a by-product of the COVID lockdown restrictions, but the guys are working as fast as they can.

He's just forwarded me a ‘sneak peak’ of some of those layouts and asked to share these on the forum. The first image shows both the Collector’s Guide and the LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL PROGRAMME CHECKLIST 1945 -2020 book covers. Whilst the second shows a variety of pages, styles and formats from inside the Collector’s Guide. For those interested the four pages from left to right are the initial page of the 50/51 chapter, then one of the spreads from the 51/52 season and finally a page from 65/66 showing the “Featured Programme” (there is one of these per season).

Having now put together a third of the book, the page count estimate has been refined. With each chapter varying between 10 to 13 pages, add in the 25 breakout sections, it is now looking close to the 850 mark. Quite an increase from the 600 pages mentioned in the flyer. The book measurements are 297 mm high, 240 mm wide and around 60 mm in depth, that’s 11.69” by 9.45” by 2.36” in old money!

Andy wishes to thank all the forum members who have placed a pre-publication order as well as the encouragement and generous feedback he’s received. He promises to back on the forum once the book is complete.

You can still place an order to receive a generous discount on the price and the free checklist book. All profits are going to the LFC Foundation charity.

swnydwr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:01 pm 
Post subject:

just read through the sampler - this is going to be an excellent point of reference for collectors!
MRPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:46 pm 
Post subject:

I Totally agree. As a friend and European traveller with Andy (he gets the programmes, I go the bar) its going to be a massive Tomb and reference guide and the effort he has put in is stupid. Not forgetting my other mate, the editor and exiled Scouser Michael Adams working hard in Canada. This will take the collecting of Liverpool post war programmes to a new level and be the ultimate reference guide with something like 900 pages in hardback WOW "!"!
smk06

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:40 pm 
Post subject:

Been in contact with Andy this week to pre-order a copy. The release date was due to be this month but has been put back to June now.

The early-bird £50 offer is still available to anyone who wants to pre-order a copy but the price will increase once the book is released. Andy's email address is on one of the graphics earlier in this thread if anyone is interested in buying a copy. All profits will go to the LFC Foundation.

Derby County home wants:
1982/83 Sunderland Fr (s/s)
Reds v Whites & Whites v Blues 1948-1957
1946/47 Arsenal post 5/2

Derby County away wants:
1968/69 Carlisle post 8/2/69
1946/47 Middlesbrough, Liverpool
1945/46 West Brom

Also looking for Guiseley home programmes pre-1980s.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:30 am 
Post subject:

Any update on the publication date for this?

Thanks
BGRed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:17 pm 
Post subject:

Colchestersid and forum members - the book has been delayed due to my father passing away. All work on the book was suspended whilst, as a family, we came to terms with the news. My father was instrumental in me supporting Liverpool Football Club and introduced me to programme collecting. The book was going to be a surprise for him as I had managed to keep my work secret, sadly I will no longer be able to share the moment when I would have presented him with the published book.

The better news is the book work has re-started and I hope shortly to provide the answer to the publication date question. I can confirm the book is 984 pages and will weigh close to 5kg - 11 lbs in "old money". It features the 75 seasons as mentioned in the above thread. The checking process has been an incredibly stressful time but we are very close to signing the book off for printing. I mention "we" as I cannot take all the credit - editor (Michael Adams), designer (Andy Cothliff) and I have lived and breathed this project night and day for the past year. Please bear with us a little longer and we hope you enjoy what we have produced. We've slightly tweaked the book cover (shown below).

Once again apologies for the delay and I thank all those that have pre-ordered for their patience. I'm extremely grateful for all your orders. They have come in from all areas of the globe: Alongside the UK there is Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Iceland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Singapore, Spain, and the United States.

As a reminder I'm not making a penny on the book - all profits are going to the LFC Foundation charity.

I'll provide an update on publication in due course. Thank you.

colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:30 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry to hear your news and I'm sure the book will represent a fitting tribute
BGRed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:07 pm 
Post subject:

Publication date: 16 December 2021

ALL profits going to the LFC Foundation

But all depends on BREXIT, diesel prices, lorry driver shortages, AND.... AND... AND
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:39 am 
Post subject:

Fabulous 2 page spread in the Porto programme the other night! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

smk06

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:31 am 
Post subject:

Got hold of my copy at the weekend. It is a beast of a book! Great work Andy, well done! I'm hoping to do something similar (but on a smaller scale) for Derby County programmes.

Derby County home wants:
1982/83 Sunderland Fr (s/s)
Reds v Whites & Whites v Blues 1948-1957
1946/47 Arsenal post 5/2

Derby County away wants:
1968/69 Carlisle post 8/2/69
1946/47 Middlesbrough, Liverpool
1945/46 West Brom

Also looking for Guiseley home programmes pre-1980s.
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:38 pm 
Post subject:

A tremendous (and heavy!) book, well worth the wait.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:47 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, mine arrived this morning. One hell of a publication. Well done all.

swnydwr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:12 am 
Post subject:

excellent piece of work - nice format - easy to read - great detail - this will keep people busy for a while!
Tigerhawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:58 pm 
Post subject:

what a book and what a weight, well done everyone involved with the publication, Love that you had Havant & Waterlooville as a feature match
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: