Football Programmes Centre

A Programme From This Day In December
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A Programme From This Day In December
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:56 am 
Post subject: A programme from this day in December

6/12/58 Southern League South East Division
Yiewsley 1 Cambridge City 1
The only ever season for this Division as part of the restructuring of the Southern League where extra teams were added and made North/South Divisions.
It didn't end well for either club with both relegated at the end of the season with Yiewsley in bottom place.

6/12/78 UEFA Cup 3rd Round 2nd Leg
Man City 3 AC Milan 0 Agg 5-2
Following a good away draw in the San Siro, City put the tie to bed in the first half with goals from Tommy Booth, Asa Hartford and Brian Kidd, but they would go out in the next round to Borussia Monchengladbach who were to win the trophy that season.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:21 pm 
Post subject:

6 December 1947

A couple from the 3rd division north

Accrington Stanley v Carlisle United

A 2 - 1 away win

Another 2 - 1 away win here as New Brighton hosted Gateshead

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:00 pm 
Post subject:

6th December 1954

Floodlit Friendly

Derby v Ex-International XI

One doesn't like to be critical and jump to conclusions but this 4 page effort is only one step better than no programme at all. No editorial, indication as to who benefitted from the match, why it was being held. Nothing. The Ex-Internationals had the likes of Swift, Mannion, Shankly and former Ram Sammy Crooks. but no introduction to them, no career details. Nothing. Just line-ups (which probably weren't accurate) and the fixture list/lge table copied from the previous home issue.
The only reason this might be rare is if most people just chucked the thing in the bin when they got home.

1/10 for effort, Derby!

6th December 1986

Scottish Cup

Annan Athletic 1 Ayr United 3

Bit confusing, this one. I think the tie was actually held at Somerset Park though it's an Annan issue.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:51 am 
Post subject:

Saturday 7th November 1963

FA Cup 2nd round

Yeovil Town 3 Crystal Palace 1 (Wood)

Gate: 10,925

The seventh and last time, to date, that Palace have been embarrassed by non-league opposiiton in the FA Cup, and as the article states, not the first time by Yeovil as they also beat Palace 3-0 in 1934/5. But at least on this occasion, Palace could take advantage and concentrate on the league - and they were duly promoted. Meanwhile, the Glovers got a home draw v Bury in round 3, but lost 0-2.

I was aged 7 then and when Palace were away, used to watch my brother play in a local league. His team had a keeper called Les who carried a radio with him which he propped up behind the goalpost, so he could listen to Sports Report. Today, and many times, I stood behind him so I could hear it. I learned quite a lot of new words on that occasion as Les was also a Palace diehard.
Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:08 am 

7/12/57 Division One
Tottenham 1 Leicester 4
Struggling Foxes upset the form book with this result and would only survive relegation by one point while Spurs finished in third place.

7/12/57 Division Two
Charlton 4 Ipswich 1
A good win for the hosts, but they would miss out on promotion by just one point.

7/12/83 UEFA Cup 3rd Round 2nd Leg
Sparta Prague 4 Watford 0 Agg 7-2
The end of the European journey for the Hornets who had given themselves an uphill battle by going 2-0 down in the home leg after just thirty minutes.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:39 am 
Post subject:

7 December 1946

Carlisle United v York City

A 2 - 1 win for City.

North Eastern League

Workington v Blackhall Colliery Welfare

Strange to think these games were played on the 5th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:25 am 
Post subject:

Saturday 8th December 1956

FA Cup 2nd round

Brentford 1 Crystal Palace 1 (Pierce)

Gate: 16,750

Made me think about how a 32-team division in the Combination was going to work.

Barry Pierce got the away goal and then hit a hat-trick in the replay 4 days later, when Palace won 3-2 and teed up a 3rd round tie v Millwall (which of course, we lost!). The Glaziers signed Scouser Pierce from Truro City in August 1955, and as an inside forward played 93 times for Palace, hitting a decent 27 goals. He then joined Millwall in May 1959, before moves to York City and Exeter City and finally into non-league at Salisbury in 1963, when he was 29. Here he is in 1956:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:00 am 

Three from the same day in 1956.

8/12/56 Division One
Tottenham 2 WBA 2
Tommy Harmer and Bobby Smith score for Spurs in a season where they would finish as runners up.
Spurs always had the footnote about players not signing autographs on the pitch and I heard this comment last week once again before fans were allowed back into grounds. We appear to have gone full circle on that one.

8/12/56 Division One
Luton 1 Arsenal 2
Joe Haverty and Derek Tapscott both on the score sheet for the Gunners. Judging by the advert, the Luton players were ok to get their boots sorted if they damaged them.

8/12/56 FA Cup 2nd Round
Torquay 1 Plymouth 0
Victory in the all Devon clash for The Gulls who were probably disappointed when they drew Lancashire Combination side New Brighton in the next round instead of one of the big clubs.
They would have been even more upset when they then went on to lose to them!
This programme has been signed by Neil Langman who was pretty good up front for Plymouth between 1953-1957 scoring 49 times in 96 appearances.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:01 pm 
Post subject:

8 December 1951

Raith Rovers v Third Lanark

Scottish Division A

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:05 pm 
Post subject:

8th December, 1951

Derby 5 Bolton 2

Two goals from Johnny Morris, one each from Reg Harrison, Hugh McLaren and Ray Wilkins

att: 23,838

8th December 1984

Stirling Albion 20 (twenty) Selkirk 0

A rather one-sided cup tie which also, sadly for Selkirk, happened to be covered by BBC Scotland's "Sportscene" cameras. I've still got the highlights on an old Betamax tape.

The cameras only captured 19 of the goals but they did catch the scene where the whole Selkirk bench hold up white cards of surrender once the 15th goal went in.

Couple of interviews afterwards - one with the teenage Selkirk 'keeper who still appeared shellshocked and one with the Selkirk player-manager who tried to put a positive slant on things ("would have been worse if our goalie hadn't made some great saves).

I never thought to look to see if any of this is on You Tube. Might do a search later tonight.

I wrote to Selkirk aterwards (rather cheekily?) asking whether they had any of the match programmes for sale. To their credit they wrote back with a price and offered a discount on the club history which had just been published. Seemed only fair to buy a copy of both.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:37 pm 
Post subject:

58 years ago December 8th 1962.

Programme and Ticket from Leyton Orient v Sheffield United

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:33 am 
Post subject:

Saturday 9th December 1950

Division III South

Watford 1 Crystal Palace 0

Gate: 7,987

The blue cover of a Watford programme reveals that back in the day, until 1959 infact, Watford wore blue & white and were called "The Brewers". The league table inside reveals that these 2 clubs were, at the time, the worst 2 clubs in the division, and it ended so though they had switched places by May, when Palace were 2 points and about 20 goals adrift of their London suburban rivals. Happily for both, times have changed a bit.
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:13 am 

9/12/67 FA Cup 1st Round
Swansea 2 Enfield 0
The Swans eventually went out in Round 4 where they were beaten by Arsenal.
Enfield would go on to become Istmian League Champions for the first time that season and hold the Title in the following two seasons.

9/12/68 Friendly
Watford 0 Gornik Zabrze 0
8,544 saw The Hornets draw with their star studded Polish opposition who contained 13 Internationals in their squad.

9/12/87 Inter League Knockout Cup
Essex League v Dan Air Counties League
Dan Air had sponsored the Combined Counties League and given it their name at this time, forming a representative team to compete in such matches.
On a personal note, in the 1980s, I was a printer in London and we had to print all of Dan Air's Airline tickets and as they provided them already bound, they were an absolute nightmare to print on and I detested Dan Air as a result. If I had known they had a football team, I would probably gone along to boo them!!!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:11 pm 
Post subject:

9th December 1944

Derby 7 Mansfield 1

(Lyman, Duncan, Doherty 3, Carter 2)

att: 11,000

9th December 1995

Scottish Cup 1st Round

Glasgow University 0 Spartans 1

Spartans would go on to lose to East Fife in the next round after a replay.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:25 am 
Post subject:

Wednesday 10th December 1952

FA Cup 2nd round

Finchley 3 Crystal Palace 1 (Thomas)

Gate: 4,500

For programme, please see 6th December - the game was abandoned and programme reused for this, the re-arranged game. And oddly, the result was repeated. A full Palace XI arrived at a fog-free Finchley and suffered a humiliating loss as future England international and school-teacher George Robb tore Palace asunder. He's shown here blasting in an indirect free kick through a packed Palace defence with Harry McDonald's bandy legs failing to stop his low shot. This was the first of three consecutive FA Cup losses to non-league sides for Palace.

Saturday 10th December 1921

Division II

Crystal Palace 0 Stoke 2

Gate c 14,000

Palace had lost on the previous Saturday 5-1 to a Potters side on their way up and out of the division, while Palace, in their debut at this level after winning Division III in its inaugural season, were safe in 14th place. A nice cartoon hopes for some revenge but sadly that didn't happen. Stoke didn't become "City" until 1924.

And sadly, Allders department store finally closed its doors a few years ago after about 140 years of trading in Croydon town centre. It was one of those places that you went to for anything, and if they didn't have it, you'd reluctantly try somewhere else.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:04 am 
Post subject:

10 December 1927

Swindon Town v Crystal Palace

A 0 - 0 draw in this FA Cup tie

10 December 1949

Port Vale vTranmere Rovers (FA Cup 2nd round)

A 1 - 0 home win saw Vale go through to the 3rd round

On the same day in the 2nd round of the Cup:

Carlisle United v Swindon Town

A 2 - 0 win earned Carlisle a home tie v Leeds United.

Up in Scotland....

Partick Thistle v Third Lanark

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

10th December 1949

Charlton 1 Derby 3 (Ward, Stamps, Steel)

att: 30,153

Just 6 years later and, arguably, the lowest point in Derby County's history. Boston, from the Midland League, even included a handful of former Derby players in their team including Reg Harrison, who had been part of the Rams' Cup-winning side 9 years earlier.

No mention of this match is made at any point in any subsequent Derby programme that season (other than as part of the fixture list).
Four players found themselves dropped for the next league game at Mansfield.

FA Cup 2nd Round

Derby 1 Boston United 6

att: 23,757

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:47 am 
Post subject:

Saturday 11th December 1971

Division I

Huddersfield Town 0 Crystal Palace 1 (Tambling)

Gate: 11,692

Replacing John Hughes, injured in the previous week's thrashing of Sheffield Utd, was veteran Bobby Tambling and he responded as a true goalscorer might - by scoring the only goal in what was already a relegation 4-pointer. In fact, Palace finished 4 points ahead of Town, safely in 20th place, while the Yorkshire side were level on points with Forest but bottom on goal average. Tambling ended the season with 8 goals and was top scorer - not for the first time in his superb career. Here he is about a year before this game:-
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:27 am 
Post subject:

11 December 1948

Aberdeen v Queen of the South

On the same day Carlisle played Shrewsbury in a mid season friendly. Shrewsbury were Midland League champions and had ambitions to get into the football league. Carlisle put out a team made up of both first team and reserve players. The programme was the standard issue from that season.

Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:54 am 

11/12/48 Division One
Charlton 4 Arsenal 3
51,517 packed into The Valley to see the hosts win by the odd goal in seven.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: