Football Programmes Centre

Save the programme
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Save the programme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benno Spire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:22 pm 
Post subject: Save the programme

It is becoming increasingly obvious that many clubs are using the current situation as an easy excuse to stop doing programmes. For many years they have been legally obliged to print a programme but I believe this is now not the case.
Due to dwindling programme sales there is probably limited margins in profit on these. However in my opinion, clubs should still be doing programmes as they are part of the history of fan culture and instead of saying programme sales are going down, look at the reasons for this. Mainly there own initial greed of selling adverts and making the programme too big and bulky and storage of programmes becoming an issue for many people.
I appreciate most information is available on the internet but a programme is far more valuable as it becomes the history of the club as a snapshot of that moment the game is played as internet information is moved on and updated. Programmes are also a memory and memento of a visit to a game.

I feel if you are reading this you are a programme collector. It is now down to us all at club level to do something about programmes before it is too late.
Supporters and collectors for each club to need to do something.

Myself and another supporter Nigel Goodlad have done just that at Chesterfield.
We made contact and set up a meeting with the Chesterfield CEO to discuss programmes and the future of them and he agreed that a smaller programme would be printed and he has guaranteed that while he is at the club a programme will be printed. He has also given us permission to set up a programme collectors club and hold meetings at the club so we can try and encourage new collectors to the hobby.
The club have now tasked a person to set up programme sales via ebay to make them available to a wider audience and have applied for some heritage funding to set up a project to obtain a programme for each Chesterfield game. I am sure other clubs could do the same as the programme history is part of the heritage of every club.
There is a person at the club now collating how many want programmes for away games so they can let teams know for print runs. They are also doing this for team sheets as well.

Its down to us all to do something before the programme totally disappears. We are doing our part at Chesterfield but other team supporters need to do the same.

Contact me on [email protected] if you want to discuss anything further with me
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: