Football Programmes Centre

You are the Editor - what would you do?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
You are the Editor - what would you do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 am 
Post subject: You are the Editor - what would you do?

I have read a lot in various discussions on this forum about the decline in the hobby, the seemingly increasing amount of clubs not publishing, preferring to go online and the falling numbers of sales of matchday programmes around the country.

So, just to spark some conversation and debate, here is a question for you

You have just been handed the Editors job of the programme for the club which you support....what are you going to do to make it more appealing to the masses and increase sales?

(With apologies if this has been covered before my time on the forum)

Smile
New Forest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:00 pm 
Post subject:

If you can get hold of a Walthamstow FC programme, then you would not have needed to ask this question. 40 full colour pages and all articles written for the programme for just one pound. If we can do it then anyone can. Some clubs choose not to issue programmes - the excuse is not sufficient demand. Rubbish - you provide something interesting and people will buy it. Perhaps this goes to show why the Walthamstow ones is sold-out at each match. I make a point of not going to a game where there is no programme on sale.
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:33 pm 
Post subject:

A pound for 40 colour pages is incredible value and great to hear they sell out on most games.

What is the average crowd?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:34 pm 
Post subject:

"I make a point of not going to a game where there is no programme on sale" from New Forest.

Does or would that include NOT watching your own team? Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

With regards to the original question posed by Pacey Winger: here's what I'd do with regards to our Programme.

To be fair United have probably bucked the trend and have increased in sales over the last three seasons. a combination of a smaller more compact design and the clubs successful rise from League 1 and inturn larger attendances. Therefore I wouldn't change a great deal.

1. First impressions count. Make the cover more attractive. Clubs like Port Vale and Grimsby have done some great retro covers recently, Aberdeen and Salford City have been imaginative with their creations, so much so even I bought some Laughing I've been advocating this for years for United and this season's effort has more a retro feel than ever before and looks to be moving in that direction.

2. Make it more appealing for the kids. Clubs like Norwich, Shrewsbury, even Manchester City have produced cards in the back of programmes.

A few seasons ago, Grimsby gave away Mariner Panini type sticker albums free, with stickers available only inside the programmes throughout the season.

3. Give it an individual number. (like they used to)
Half time draw gets a signed shirt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
New Forest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:10 pm 
Post subject:

In reply to the last two questions. Last season Walthamstow struggled to get gates of more than 35. This season opened with 292 in the FA Cup. Swelled by groundhoppers and there must have been more than a few Orient supporters starved of live football. As long as it continues that spectators not allowed in Divisions 1 or 2 non-league clubs will see the benefit.

Walthamstow produce programmes for all home games. I need to crack on a write a piece for next Tuesday. I write a column on classic programmes. You cannot do that if a club does not issue their own programmes. At the end of the month its away to # United, who I understand never produce a printed programme, so I shall not be going. Its my only way to protest.
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:22 pm 
Post subject:

That's even more impressive then New Forest as I would imagine printing costs alone would take up a substantial amount of income generated from the sale

Im a big fan of the retro cover as well Sharrowblade. I just think the classic look gives it more appeal and the playing card idea for the kids is really interesting.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:08 pm 
Post subject:

New Forest wrote:
In reply to the last two questions. Last season Walthamstow struggled to get gates of more than 35. This season opened with 292 in the FA Cup. Swelled by groundhoppers and there must have been more than a few Orient supporters starved of live football. As long as it continues that spectators not allowed in Divisions 1 or 2 non-league clubs will see the benefit.

Walthamstow produce programmes for all home games. I need to crack on a write a piece for next Tuesday. I write a column on classic programmes. You cannot do that if a club does not issue their own programmes. At the end of the month its away to # United, who I understand never produce a printed programme, so I shall not be going. Its my only way to protest.

struggle to get gates of over 35 Shocked is it me but it seems no one cares in Walthamstow to have their own club, cant get more than 35 without a lockdown so how many programmes are on the print run then?
Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:46 pm 
Post subject:

Sounds like a terrific effort for such small gates.
Really hope being 'the only show in town' helps swell the numbers!

Maybe they print enough that the players get one each too.

Dorking Wanderers started doing programmes in 2007 when in Sussex Div 3 - crowds were typically 40-50.

Those programmes are of real interest now (to me lol) as 6 promotions later the club is in the National League South (step 2 of non league) and get crowds of 700.

Struggle to sell programmes though. 150 on a good day now.

In answer to the OP, you can't beat a lucky programme number drawn at half time. Prize doesnt even have to be much
tackler7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:27 pm 
Post subject:

What turns me off the modern programme is the size. I don't think every programme has to be the size of a house brick - and as I find the thicker they are the less of interest there seems to be (to me anyway).

One idea would be to have an article or column that builds up throughout the season so it encourages people to buy the programme to read the next instalment. Ideally something that isn't available elsewhere.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: