Football Programmes Centre

Press photos - FA Cup 5th round 1962 Liverpool v Preston
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Press photos - FA Cup 5th round 1962 Liverpool v Preston

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 pm 
Post subject: Press photos - FA Cup 5th round 1962 Liverpool v Preston

I have just bought 2 photos from the 61/2 FA Cup 5th round tie between Liverpool and Preston. I need a little bit of information please and wondered if anyone can help.

I also thought you might like to see something that simply won't happen any more: a Cup second replay on a neutral ground in the snow - indeed, a regular Cup replay too, a dying breed as we have seen this year. I know I'm an old romantic but surely, these really were the days.

The first game was at Anfield on 17th Feb 62, a goalless draw and 54,967 watched the game. I don't have any images from that game.

The first replay at Deepdale followed on 20th Feb, another 0-0 draw and this time 37,831 attended. In the photo below, on a foggy Lancashire night, a cross intended for Liverpool's Alan A'Court was intercepted by long-serving PNE keeper Alan Kelly.

Finally on 26th Feb the second replay came along, this time at Old Trafford. Here 43,944 turned up and saw Preston score the only goal of the 3 games to progress to the quarter final. It was a cold and snowy evening in Manchester and the photo below shows Ian St John's header getting stuck in the snow to enable locally-born PNE defender Tony Singleton to make a clearance.

So there we have it - 3 cup games in 9 days, on 3 different grounds, yielding just one goal, and 136,742 spectators attended in the very depth of winter.

And my questions are - who scored the only goal? And did anyone reading this thread see any of those 3 games? Were you one of the 136,742?

Thanks for your time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:13 pm 
Post subject:

We bought the goalscorer partly on the strength of his performances in those games. One of my early heroes sadly no longer with us. He once served me a pint at his pub in the Lake District.

Of course I'm talking about the late great Peter Thompson, thanks for sharing Pete. Thumbs Up
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:29 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
We bought the goalscorer partly on the strength of his performances in those games. One of my early heroes sadly no longer with us. He once served me a pint at his pub in the Lake District.

Of course I'm talking about the late great Peter Thompson, thanks for sharing Pete. Thumbs Up

Thank you Jim, what a player he was.

(Now sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:55 pm 
Post subject:

Peter Thompson was born in Carlisle. I would say that him and Kevin Beattie were the best two players from the city.

I have one press photo from the Old Trafford replay with the description “Kelly the Preston North End keeper makes a save from St John

I have another photo from a Liverpool v Preston match from very early 60s but not sure if from the cup match. The description is “Dawson flies high, but Slater is there first to take the ball watched by Yeats and Melia ”

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

Alex Dawson signed for Preston in October 1961.

So that could be from the Cup game on 17th Feb, but more likely I reckon would be the league game on 24th March 62. The weather looks better than it had been in February. But I could be wrong of course.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:19 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Alex Dawson signed for Preston in October 1961.

So that could be from the Cup game on 17th Feb, but more likely I reckon would be the league game on 24th March 62. The weather looks better than it had been in February. But I could be wrong of course.

You are right Pete. I have just looked a bit more closely and there is a 24 March 1962 date stamp
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:24 am 
Post subject:

I was at the game at Old Trafford I went with a Liverpool fan a school pal of mine I was twelve thin he was a couple of years older than me !!!.
And yes was a bitter cold evening pitch covered in snow Peter Thompson score the only goal in the scoreboard end.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:25 am 
Post subject:

Thank you Phil, so glad someone here has admitted to being old enough to have seen it!

Are you still in touch with your old school mate?
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:36 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you Phil, so glad someone here has admitted to being old enough to have seen it!

I bumped into him a couple of years ago while out walking in Huyton Quarry I had not seen him for over 40 years but we recognised each other at once had a great remenis about the "good old days" and that bitter cold night in snowy Manchester.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:48 pm 
Post subject:

Thedoog10 wrote:

I bumped into him a couple of years ago while out walking in Huyton Quarry I had not seen him for over 40 years but we recognised each other at once had a great remenis about the "good old days" and that bitter cold night in snowy Manchester.

Did you tell him about your Derek Dougan collection? Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: