Football Programmes Centre

Macclesfield RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Macclesfield RIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

The way it worked at Wigan under Dave Whelan was he funded the club for all the years he had ownership when he sold it was debt free, news owners came in added to the squad via loans then put us in administration because they no longer wanted to pay the bills, the revenue from gates and TV were insufficient on a profit and loss basis.
I believe Blackburn have debts of £180m, PNE funded by Trevor Hemmings at a big loss and I assume it will be the same for a lot of other clubs, Derby and Sheff Wed both had shady deals involving the sale of their grounds, for ridiculous sums £60m + £40m from memory most other clubs will also be relying on owners to foot the shortfall.
Football clubs ideally should live within their means but if someone wants to fund a club with their own money that's fine by me, but not via large loans placed on the club when revenue streams have no chance of covering them.
saint clarkie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:26 pm 
Post subject: wigan

Raxfactor

You have a pm
AndyBRFC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 pm 
Post subject:

Raxfactor wrote:
The way it worked at Wigan under Dave Whelan was he funded the club for all the years he had ownership when he sold it was debt free, news owners came in added to the squad via loans then put us in administration because they no longer wanted to pay the bills, the revenue from gates and TV were insufficient on a profit and loss basis.
I believe Blackburn have debts of £180m, PNE funded by Trevor Hemmings at a big loss and I assume it will be the same for a lot of other clubs, Derby and Sheff Wed both had shady deals involving the sale of their grounds, for ridiculous sums £60m + £40m from memory most other clubs will also be relying on owners to foot the shortfall.
Football clubs ideally should live within their means but if someone wants to fund a club with their own money that's fine by me, but not via large loans placed on the club when revenue streams have no chance of covering them.

That is what the owners have put in the cover the losses (the vast majority to players, agents and questionable 'characters' that have fleeced them) over their 10 years at the club and in theory is no different to the 'debt' that Wigan will have accrued under the ownership of Dave Whelan.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:55 pm 
Post subject:

Hello Andy,
Just hope that Venkys don't walk or if they sell right off the debt then things should be good. Its a worry for all football clubs when the furlough ends or is extended but not at the generous 80% that's when the true effect of this political shambles will be revealed
and the dire state of some of our clubs.
AndyBRFC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:50 pm 
Post subject:

football club finances are a ticking time bomb brought about, in general, by the demands of fans and exacerbated by the eye watering amounts that flow in from broadcasters however flow straight back out to the previous mentioned parties...

COVID19 will be the end of some clubs, will force some clubs to re-model themselves however at the top of the game (and let's face it, that is all the main stream media really care about) life will carry on as you were. They don't need the money from fans and the 'football family' will be shown for what it actually is... a strapline used by those in suits at the Premier League & FA headquarters to make those further down the food chain feel important, appreciated and involved.

Football will loose a lot of fans as a result, however it will be those clubs who can afford it the least, who will actually feel it the most. Confused
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:10 pm 
Post subject:

we just need a top club to feel the heat......

After all it was only a couple of years ago that Liverpool £300M debt was forclosed by the bank

OK they got around it but it should be a warning to all those clubs spending money like no tomorrow

It could happen at any time esp as nobody pays upfront for these transfers.....

Just another debt (OK a controlled debt)

Here at Pompey (a well supported club) is losing £700,000 per month

It can,t carry on

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:00 pm 
Post subject:

pompeypete wrote:

Here at Pompey (a well supported club) is losing £700,000 per month

It can,t carry on

Am I reading that correctly?
Pompey are - as of now - losing £700k/month?

What would be the net figure if they still had gate revenue?
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:22 pm 
Post subject:

Good question Steve....

Loss taken from the local paper

£700,000 when compared to their usual revenue.

Just recieved £100,000 for the televised Carabao cup match.

Also five figures for iFollow stream

Looks like the owners will be digging in deep (or loans against the club, lets hope not)

And we are a well run club that generates profits each year

Help !!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: