Football Programmes Centre

Derby v Everton 1979/Dennis Nilsen serial killer
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Derby v Everton 1979/Dennis Nilsen serial killer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 am 
Post subject: Derby v Everton 1979/Dennis Nilsen serial killer

Hi, not your usual sort of programme topic I know, but was reading this fascinating tale below of a bloke who escaped the clutches of serial killer Dennis Nilsen.

To cut a long story short the guy in question said he got stranded in London as a roundabout result of the floodlights failing at Derby v Everton in March 1979, and the game being "called off".

However my Everton Complete Record shows the game was indeed played on 24 March.
Do any Derby or Everton fans have any light to shed on this story or match, did the floodlights fail and was the game abandoned?
Either way it was a close escape for this EFC fan. And a very interesting story.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8752945/Man-66-escaped-serial-killer-Dennis-Nilsen-bought-dinner-invited-flat.html
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:51 am 
Post subject:

All seems very far fetched even before you look at the details - why would he be at Liverpool Street station if coming back from Derby? For the match to be abandoned because of floodlight failure it would have been an evening/midweek kick off so doesn't tally with March 1979 - the game was on a Saturday
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:16 am 
Post subject:

The eerie detail I noticed was the blue and white football scarf Nilson was wearing shortly before he was arrested.
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:16 am 
Post subject:

Yes, something a bit confused about this tale.

As it happened I now see the lights did go out in the Derby v Everton game in 1977/78.... about 5 mins into here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxUSw7dfM_E

But this game was played in October 77, before Nilsen's killing spree began.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:28 am 
Post subject:

overlap wrote:
Yes, something a bit confused about this tale.

As it happened I now see the lights did go out in the Derby v Everton game in 1977/78.... about 5 mins into here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxUSw7dfM_E

But this game was played in October 77, before Nilsen's killing spree began.

It also comes before anyone knew who Elvis Costello was - his first Top of the Pops wasn't until December 1977
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:17 pm 
Post subject:

78/9 Derby v Everton wasn't a rearranged match.

Checked the next home programme after that one (v Bristol City) - plenty reports/photos on that Everton game but no mention of the floodlights going out.

It was the featured commentary match on Sport On Two that afternoon, though (not that that's relevant).
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:53 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks 1884 for checking, something not right about the story then.

Seems the guy has mixed up two separate games in his tale, as the floodlit failure v Everton was definitely October 1977, but Nilsen's rampage didn't start until a year later.

Also as Sid previously mentioned, coming from Derby by train would take him into St Pancras, and nowhere near Liverpool Street.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:59 pm 
Post subject:

I remember being in Borehamwood one thursday night in 1990.

Had the lorry parked outside Elstree studios. Had a delivery nearby at a building site

It was a lovely summers evening, so I went down to the Pub, there was only two pubs on the high street in those days one at either end.

It was about 8'O'clock, I went in the first, but there was only me in it.

Had a pint then walked all the way down to the other end to the other one.

It was a big pub with 2 or 3 levels and quite a few pool tables. There was about 4 people in, for a thursday night I thought it was a little odd.

I settled down with the paper and another pint, when a bloke approached me and asked if I wanted a game of Pool. I politely declined but he wouldn't take no for an answer, so after a number of attempts I succumbed. He wasn't very good and I won 5-0. He then wanted to play for money, but I wasn't falling for that. Another bloke was watching and he offered to play me for money as well. I said why don't you play each other.

And I went back to my paper. Shortly afterwards, he came up with a pint, he'd said he bought it me for giving him a game, sat himself down and asked if I knew how to get rid of 3 kilos of Herion or cocaine, I confess I don't recall which. It was all turning a little strange.

At this point, alarm bells were beginning to go off, especially as he now began to ask me where I was staying, I lied I told him I was with a group of the lads around the corner and I was now going back. He then asked if I wanted to come back to his house for another drink.

It was time to leave, although it had been 10 years previous I knew all about the Dennis Nilsen story, and various others and this had a familiar theme about it.

I've always felt a special attachment to my head, torso, arms and legs.

I made my excuses and left. That is a true story.

This one however, seems to contain all the information that was in the TV Series. (apart from the football game)

I have a couple of questions, what are the Daily Mail paying nowadays and was there any mass murderers living off Shenley road at Borehamwood around 1990?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:14 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:

Had the lorry parked outside Elstree studios. Had a delivery nearby at a building site

It was a lovely summers evening, so I went down to the Pub, there was only two pubs on the high street in those days one at either end.

It was a big pub with 2 or 3 levels and quite a few pool tables. There was about 4 people in, for a thursday night I thought it was a little odd.

I settled down with the paper and another pint, when a bloke approached me and asked if I wanted a game of Pool. I politely declined but he wouldn't take no for an answer, so after a number of attempts I succumbed. He wasn't very good and I won 5-0. He then wanted to play for money, but I wasn't falling for that. Another bloke was watching and he offered to play me for money as well. I said why don't you play each other.

And I went back to my paper. Shortly afterwards, he came up with a pint, he'd said he bought it me for giving him a game, sat himself down and asked if I knew how to get rid of 3 kilos of Herion or cocaine, I confess I don't recall which. It was all turning a little strange.

At this point, alarm bells were beginning to go off, especially as he now began to ask me where I was staying, I lied I told him I was with a group of the lads around the corner and I was now going back. He then asked if I wanted to come back to his house for another drink.

It was time to leave, although it had been 10 years previous I knew all about the Dennis Nilsen story, and various others and this had a familiar theme about it.

This one however, seems to contain all the information that was in the TV Series. (apart from the football game)

I have a couple of questions, what are the Daily Mail paying nowadays and was there any mass murderers living off Shenley road at Borehamwood around 1990?

How about this fella - also told police he had cut up 4 other bodies for the Adams crime family in the 1990s - lived in Borehamwood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jeffrey_Howe
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think someone was watching over you that night our Sharra! Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Bren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:46 pm 
Post subject:

Carrots with a burger?
Definitely telling porkies Shocked
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: