Football Programmes Centre

Pricey card on Ebay
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pricey card on Ebay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:59 pm 
Post subject: Pricey card on Ebay

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:42 am 
Post subject:

Lovely item but I was confused by the name...I always thought his (Pele's) proper name was something along the lines of Edson Arantes de Nascienmento.

Must dig out my fully autographed Santos at Argyle programme Smile
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 am 
Post subject:

The card is an error - Edvaldo Alves Santarosa was Dida
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:48 am 
Post subject:

Have a look at the similar sponsored items underneath the listing too.

Basically there are lots of similar age pele cards claiming to be the oldest, ie 'Rookie' cards. It's a bit of a U.S.thing, but collectors like to have the earliest issue for a big star player, Pele being the biggest of them all, due to being the greatest ever played but also from an era where surviving items are rare now.

There is a guy called Carl Wilkes who has a site called RARECARDS who is a bit of an expert on it. He knows which ones are truly rare and worth thousands, and which are 1959 Pele's and worth much much less

It's a bit like the Peter Bonetti stuff IMO. Key is like knowing the difference between a unfranked penny black and a penny red

Even early Beckham cards sold for $$$ due to American bidders not really knowing what they were bidding on but relying on hype in listing descriptions!

I have some 'Rookie' zaha cards if anyone wants to pay £££ for them!!!
martino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:06 am 
Post subject:

Excuse my ignorance but can anyone tell me what a "Rookie card" is?

I have seen the term used before but never had the courage to ask!
goodison

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:48 am 
Post subject:

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance but can anyone tell me what a "Rookie card" is?

I've always assumed it's the first card issued for a player, usually from their rookie (first) year in the sport, more an American than British thing.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:21 pm 
Post subject:

Sid is right, it's an error card and that must increase the value.

I know baseball and other US sports cards go for big bucks as there's a huge collectors' market, but didn't know it extended to (association) football.

I saw those other cards listed, amazing prices, but all BIN so will they sell? This one has 11 bids from 5 different bidders. Deadline tomorrow morning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:36 pm 
Post subject:

The other aspect to this is that in American sports (where players start out in College sports before being drafted) they have a very definite "rookie" season in the Pro Leagues

Here of course that doesn't happen - a player will play a couple of Carabao Cup games, come off the bench for the odd league game and generally ease in to view. There is no "rookie" season in the same way.

Also here with very few exceptions, collecting is based around teams rather than players. My impression is that the reverse is true in America
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:07 pm 
Post subject:

The same card ( at least it appears to be the same card) with a PSA rating of 9 has sold for $125,000 and a PSA rating 8 version for $75,000. It’s all about condition of course and exponential pricing at the top end of the condition scale, chasing that mint item.

Last edited by Texas Rangers on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:34 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
The other aspect to this is that in American sports (where players start out in College sports before being drafted) they have a very definite "rookie" season in the Pro Leagues

Here of course that doesn't happen - a player will play a couple of Carabao Cup games, come off the bench for the odd league game and generally ease in to view. There is no "rookie" season in the same way.

Also here with very few exceptions, collecting is based around teams rather than players. My impression is that the reverse is true in America

I’d say you’re impression is spot on. People will collect team items for winners of the major events, Stanley Cup, Superbowl, World Series tickets, etc but the big ticket items are the rookie years of sporting icons, especially in baseball. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, etc. Although a Kareem Abdul Jabbar, or top names in football, Gretzky in hockey etc will be sky high as well.
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:57 pm 
Post subject:

Rookie Cards were first issued by Magic Box in their Shoot out cards from around 2004-2007 they were a special card for a player in the set and usually a superstar a bit like the man of the match and limited edition cards which topps issue. they are rare and can fetch large sums of money for some of the cards others are common and are worth very little. Each card was identical to the normal card in the set but had a different picture of the player.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

As per an earlier post, I collect my club, not just a specific player, but try to collect all cards for my club. Luckily Palace cards are frequent (being a current Premier League team) but not £££ unlike Man United etc

The American issue stuff by Panini, like the recent 'Impeccable' series, are very much in the 'American card' style - cards with autographs, pieces of player shirt, even silver and gold bars in them!

The American issued modern stuff has 'rare' parallel versions of all the cards - so different foiled versions etc - 1/25, 1/10, 1/1

It's a bit of a con really but I guess some people do like to chase the rarer versions with the lower issue numbers, and are willing to pay more for them.

It has spawned stuff like 'box breakers' who buy boxes of cards, then split them by team or even by player.

It is noticable that Messi and Ronaldo cards are released in dozens of different versions, and do command huge sums for the rarer (signed and shirt) versions,,,,,,
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: