Football Programmes Centre

Macclesfield RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Macclesfield RIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:31 pm 
Post subject: Macclesfield RIP

Just seen that they have been wound up.....

Such a shame for their fans....the owner ( who of course passed the fit and proper persons test) apparently sent. copy of an anonymous bank statement as proof of funds for the creditors

At what was something like the twelfth time of asking the judge had had enough and so they have been wound up.

Southend, another perennial winding up order recipient, adjourned until the end of October.

Last edited by pafcprogs on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Pompeynutter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:31 pm 
Post subject:

first of many I,m afraid.

Div 1,2 & lower all in danger...

Premier & EFL couldn,t give a monkeys
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:12 pm 
Post subject:

And they'd just taken on a new manager (Tim Flowers) and 8 new players, too.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 pm 
Post subject:

It's all so very sad.

I heard of 2 players stumping up sizeable wads of cash for Wigan Athletic in their hour of need, Jermaine Defoe and Victor Moses. Well done to those 2, seriously, and there may be more who didn't want any publicity.

On the day that the main presenter of Match of the Day agreed to take a £400k/annum pay cut, so his salary was reduced to about £1.4m/annum, you would hope that a few people in his fraternity might put their hands in their pockets. But then again.........

And then there's the out-going (eventually) head of the PFA who pockets about £2m a year and who watched two of his old clubs wither and die (in one case - Bury) and nearly die (Bolton) last year. It's too much to expect that man to do anything that might befit someone in his position.

Judge

Guilty as charged

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:05 am 
Post subject: Macclesfield RIP

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:

And then there's the out-going (eventually) head of the PFA who pockets about £2m a year and who watched two of his old clubs wither and die (in one case - Bury) and nearly die (Bolton) last year. It's too much to expect that man to do anything that might befit someone in his position.

Now there's a man that makes my skin crawl Mad Can't stand the bloke!

It's so sad for the clubs mentioned in this thread and their fans and players, especially with so much money swilling around at the top, but it's inevitable that there will be more to follow.

The only question is how many? Confused
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:00 am 
Post subject:

Whilst I can sympathise with the supporters and current playing sqaud and staff members I disagree with opinions (posted elsewhere) that premier League clubs should help out financially.
From my basic understanding of the issues at Macclesfield and Bury are down to mismanagement from their owners at the time.

I mean, you wouldn't expect Tesco to bail out the local village store if the owner ran it badly, I am not sure why a premier League (or championship club) should be any different.

Of course, you will get people and potentially clubs that do want to help, and absolute credit to them, but I'm.not convinced it's the bigger clubs responsibility to fund the smaller clubs.

Like I say, my complete sympathy to the supporters, players and staff from all of the club's that have gone under or face that threat in the coming weeks, months and years.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
silkman1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

I have supported the Silkmen since 1968. Trophy finals, promotion, cup runs and relegation the lot.

They have been mis-managed at the highest level for some years. Always one of the smaller clubs in the EFL their demise is down to one man and that is/was the sole shareholder. Non payment of wages, no ground safety certificate, shambles of a ground. All down to him.

There have been questions over the months and years where the money has gone. That may or not be answered by the administrator/liquidator. There has been suggestions of interested parties but I see no reason why someone would invest in a loss making entity.

It is so sad to see the demise of Macclesfield especially when they have recruited a new manager and a squad of players. What happens now is down to the National League and the liquidators. MTFC is no more - out of the ashes may come something else. Lets wait and see.

I do however agree with those who suggest it is not the responsibility of the Premier League to help. There are many who should hang their heads in shame including the EFL.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:13 pm 
Post subject:

I always enjoyed my visits there, Arthur, especially in the company of your good self, and a trip down Sunderland Street for the many real ale hostelries was always a pleasure. I suspect we'll see an AFC club rising from the ashes, and assume you'll be joining the likes of Bury AFC way down the Pyramid, far too soon to get something up and running this season for the National League?
cardiff55

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:07 pm 
Post subject:

It's such a shame what has happened top Macclesfield and Bury last year. And the troubles had by Wigan, Bolton and now Southend.

There is a call for more money to be filtered down from the PL by some. But that money would go in to the hands of the owners who caused the problems anyway, it would be likely it would all be wasted or taken out of the club and the final debts would be even bigger.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:08 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
It's all so very sad.

I heard of 2 players stumping up sizeable wads of cash for Wigan Athletic in their hour of need, Jermaine Defoe and Victor Moses. Well done to those 2, seriously, and there may be more who didn't want any publicity.

On the day that the main presenter of Match of the Day agreed to take a £400k/annum pay cut, so his salary was reduced to about £1.4m/annum, you would hope that a few people in his fraternity might put their hands in their pockets. But then again.........

Judge

Guilty as charged

He never seems to cover himself in any glory, or indeed do anything at all for the EFL clubs. Probably too b use counting his wages?
cardiff55

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:08 pm 
Post subject:

It's such a shame what has happened top Macclesfield and Bury last year. And the troubles had by Wigan, Bolton and now Southend.

There is a call for more money to be filtered down from the PL by some. But that money would go in to the hands of the owners who caused the problems anyway, it would be likely it would all be wasted or taken out of the club and the final debts would be even bigger.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:32 pm 
Post subject:

Just consider that each premier league clubs gets about £120M

I ,m sure that each club could put a million into a kitty to help out.

Of course each EFL club gets in the reagion of £1.5M

The fit & proper test needs a complete overall, too many dodgy owners

I,m sure many more clubs will go to the wall as the top clubs spend millions

(Virus?.....what virus)

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Pompeynutter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

For those of you who love football......Read this

Copied from the local paper.....

Premiership v lower leagues

basically saying a week wages of Gareth Bale would have saved Macclesfield

or Pierre Aubameyang wages of £350,000 per week. Still Arsenal were happy to lay off 55 staff last month ??

You may agree or disagree
cardiff55

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:42 pm 
Post subject:

pompeypete wrote:

(Virus?.....what virus)

Most of them have £120m plus in TV income alone, but still manage to spend it all and more. Greedy players and agents take all they can. If Sky stopped paying silly money to them it would all go wrong in a second.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:33 pm 
Post subject:

cardiff55 wrote:
pompeypete wrote:

(Virus?.....what virus)

Most of them have £120m plus in TV income alone, but still manage to spend it all and more. Greedy players and agents take all they can. If Sky stopped paying silly money to them it would all go wrong in a second.

Sadly it wouldn't because Amazon, Disney, Google or someone else would happily pay more
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:41 pm 
Post subject:

Pompeynutter wrote:
For those of you who love football

I do, Pete - just not the bastardised version we see in the PL.

It's gone way beyone the point where it can be defended by saying it's "market forces" - the forces that continue to skew this market will end up destroying all but the richest.

The English pyramid - both in substance and in the level of support clubs, even all the way down to county leagues, receive - is both unique and fragile. Accordingly, it needs protected.

I'm almost all for a European Super League - perhaps by removing the drivers of inflation, the rest of the pyramid can concentrate less on "keeping up" and more on organic, sustainable growth.
Clubs for the community - not for the bloody TV audience.

Oh - and just ask the bloody fans what a "fit and proper person test" should be comprised of! That might keep the likes of the chancers who wrecked Macclesfield and Bury at arm's length.

But WTF do I know?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

cardiff55 wrote:
pompeypete wrote:

(Virus?.....what virus)

It's not down to the greed of the players, it's down to the sheer stupidity of trying to buy your seat at the top table. Without the players there would be no EPL, so it's only right that they are remunerated well for it.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:12 pm 
Post subject:

What gets me is nowadays it is okay for owners to load up debt on the club via loans but can't gift it no strings, I might be wrong but is that to do with ffp.
Hence all the hullabaloo at city, anyway to my mind there are not many clubs at Championship and below surviving solely on gates, so this farce on numbers of people attending games will be the final nail in a lot coffins my club Wigan included which as the saga pans out looks more and more like liquidation after all the administrator's are not working on behalf of Wigan.
But I just can't see how clubs at Championship level can survive with no revenues but players salaries just the same the cash must be coming from somewhere and at some point will have to be repaid unless bankruptcy strikes.
To top it all is the var fiasco offside by a toenail, ball brushed his arm in super slow no, he stood on his boot review, penalty, I am afraid this game that is shown on TV is not the game I started watching, I don't know what its morphed into but its not football.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am 
Post subject:

Well it can only get worse.......now no supporters allowed in.....

If I remember I read an article stating that the premiership could still make a profit

With no attendance.....

"I,m alright Jack......sod the other clubs"

Shame on you...........or a well run club with no debts (apart from the loans against the clubs & buying players on thr never,never.......

I know this is normal practice throughout the leagues, even poor ole Wigan owed pompey £750,000 for a player transfer a couple years previously.

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
James

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:27 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Pompeynutter wrote:
For those of you who love football

I do, Pete - just not the bastardised version we see in the PL.

It's gone way beyone the point where it can be defended by saying it's "market forces" - the forces that continue to skew this market will end up destroying all but the richest.

The English pyramid - both in substance and in the level of support clubs, even all the way down to county leagues, receive - is both unique and fragile. Accordingly, it needs protected.

I'm almost all for a European Super League - perhaps by removing the drivers of inflation, the rest of the pyramid can concentrate less on "keeping up" and more on organic, sustainable growth.
Clubs for the community - not for the bloody TV audience.

Oh - and just ask the bloody fans what a "fit and proper person test" should be comprised of! That might keep the likes of the chancers who wrecked Macclesfield and Bury at arm's length.

But WTF do I know?

The fit and proper test is possibly working the problem is "FANS" they demand that the club go out and spend money that they know the club don't have demanding a new centre half or a new striker.

How many teams who have been battling relegation or are mid table have you seen the fans turn on the board demanding that the club compete at the top half of the table and go and buy players.

What are the owners to do, if they don't overspend to appease the fans then the fans stop attending, if they do overspend then it puts the future of the club in jeopardy.

Look at the two clubs who have gone to the wall recently, Bury overspent to get themselves promoted and it's cost them, Macclesfield overspent in the National League got promoted into the League and could not afford to sustain that level of football as the fan base is not there and racked up debts. The fans of those teams loved the success but sadly it has cost them their club.

Too many fans think that their clubs have got an invisible money tree and expect them to just magically pull out a new sum of money like when they have played those Championship manager games, sadly things like that don't happen in real life. The cries of sack the board are all well and good but if the owners go who is going to put the money into the club, you'll have no club left to support.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: