Football Programmes Centre

Did Oldham play Middlesbrough ln The 1950s?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Did Oldham play Middlesbrough ln The 1950s?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:22 am 
Post subject: Did Oldham play Middlesbrough ln The 1950s

Just spotted a photo of the Oldham squad , just prior to George Hardwick joining .Don’t know how to get it up to display Badge on shirts didn’t appear until 1951-54. Exactly the same kits for both sides as in my photo. Perhaps Oldhams away kit in 1950 was the same as Middlesbrough’s? Looks like one of those pre- season trial games First team v The Reserves type of game .. The player in my photo sitting to the left of the man in the Mack, front row is Lewis Brook. No idea who the black player in the Oldham team is. So at the end of the day it looks like it’s Oldham v Oldham . Thanks for the replies.
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

On August 16th 1947 there was a trial game at Boundary Park as per the newspaper snippet below. Noting McManus (Brendan) in goal for the Blue & Whites, he went on to play for Oldham in the 47/48 season. The gentleman in the middle in the mac maybe Billy Wootton the Oldham manager? Could it possibly be the game we are looking for?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:08 pm 
Post subject: Did Oldham play Middlesbrough ln The 1950s

Thanks Rocky, l think that’s exactly the type of game in the original photo. The trouble is l can’t see the name of Lewis Brook in blue shirts line-up in your cutting. It could be this type of match from the following season. If you have a look on the net at Oldham Historical Research Group - World War 1, 1914-1918, Vernon Hanley ,, you can see a similar photo to the one l’ve got, but not taken at the ground. Vernon Hanley became the groundsman at Oldham after the War . I did think that Lindy Delapenha might have had a trial at Oldham in 1950 , after he left Portsmouth, but it looks like he went straight to Middlesbrough , apparently on the recommendation of David Jack and became a star.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: