Football Programmes Centre

Did Oldham play Middlesbrough ln The 1950s?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Did Oldham play Middlesbrough ln The 1950s?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:51 pm 
Post subject: Did Oldham play Middlesbrough ln The 1950s?

Hi, l think that this is a photo of. Oldham v Middlesbrough in the early 1950s when George Hardwick was player/ manager at Oldham. I can find no evidence of the two teams meeting in the 1950s. Perhaps it was a pre-season friendly? Also, is the older bloke in the front row with the ball at his feet a famous ex- player? Thanks for any help.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:53 pm 
Post subject:

No they didn't in any league or cup games, but I reckon there was a testimonial for Hardwick at some point. Or maybe as you say, just a friendly.

Nice photo! If you'd like to blow up that chap with the ball, I might be able to help you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:10 pm 
Post subject:

It's one for Rocky, I reckon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:14 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="Pete’s Picture Palace"]No they didn't in any league or cup games, but I reckon there was a testimonial for Hardwick at some point. Or maybe as you say, just a friendly.

Nice photo! If you'd like to blow up that chap with the ball, I might be able to help you.[/quote]

Pssst, wanna buy a bomb?
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:34 pm 
Post subject:

My eyes, even though I’ve got four, are struggling with the image. Possibly I can see Delapenha and Whittaker of Boro but as Pete mentions it may be better blown up (without a bomb).

I have no records of any Boro friendly or competitive game v Oldham post war until 1965.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 pm 

Thanks Pete, John and Rocky, l hope this image is clearer. I think Delapenha is in the back row.
Rocky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:48 pm 
Post subject:

After blowing up the photo, I shared it with a number of esteemed Boro collectors for their thoughts. The photo became a little blurred with the increase in size and whilst it’s difficult to see the faces clearly we’ve come to the conclusion that we don’t think it’s Boro.

George Hardwick did have a benefit game in April 1956 between an All Star Xl & Portsmouth, however I’m not sure if this photo represents those playing in that game. Maybe a Pompey follower could verify?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:31 am 
Post subject:

A Testimonial/Benefit game is the most likely event with both teams pictured together.
The Pompey line-up for 1955/56 below However, note Pompey always had a large badge on the shirt:

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:29 pm 
Post subject:

Pompey (or whoever it was) would have been in change kit so not to clash with Oldham's blue & white.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:29 pm 
Post subject: Did Oldham Play Middlesbrough ln the 1950s

Thanks Rocky, footyfan and Pete, l have posted a few more photos, they are not that sharp with the iPad.With being able to see it more clearly from the original I still think that one of the teams played in the Middlesbrough red kit. As far as l know, Portsmouth didn’t have hooped socks early 1950s and there is no badge on the shirt. Lindy Delapenha is in the back row and l think Jimmy Dickenson is standing behind him to the right. I think that it could be a mixed Portsmouth/Middlesbrough team and that has caused the confusion because they played in a Middlesbrough kit. There was links with Delapenha and the two teams. The goalkeeper looks like has got a badge on his jersey that has no connection with the two clubs . Could be international? The seller definitely thinks Oldham are the other team.

facup1939

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:38 pm 
Post subject: Hardwick Testimonial

The game took place on Monday 23 April 1956.

Pompey had played at Manchester United on the Saturday, and stayed over. The match was billed in the Portsmouth paper as Portsmouth v All Star XI but in the Portsmouth records it’s is shown as an International Managers XI.
It was played at Oldham.

The Pompey team was Uprichard, McGhee, Mansell, Gunter, Rutter, Dickinson, Gordon, Pickett, Robertson, Penk and Rees.

I don’t know the All Star XI line up.

Pompey won 3-1 with goals from Phil Gunter and Jack Mansell 2 (1 pen).

I have never seen a programme for the game.

Paul.
facup1939

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:41 pm 
Post subject:

whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:59 pm 
Post subject:

Wow!! Unbelievable info!!
That's what this forum is all about.
Brilliant.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

That's fantastic - but I'm pretty sure Stan Matthews, Sam Bartram, Joe Mercer, Bill Shankly and George Hardwick aren't in Oldham (or Pompey) kit in this photo. There's no way Sam B is one of the 2 goalkeepers and that lot are so distinctive. So maybe they all didn't turn up and Oldham provided the rest of the team as well as the kit.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:15 pm 

Many thanks for your help Paul,, lt looks like Portsmouth played in a change kit and perhaps with him being ex-Portsmouth, Lindy Delapenha played as a guest for them that night. He was with Middlesbrough in 1956. I can’t pick out any of the stars from the newspaper article, (Shankly, Mercer, Carey, Matthews and the others ) in the photo. The only big star l can pick out is George Hardwick of Oldham . Perhaps the line-up was given to the paper well before the game, but most didn’t make it that night? They used to play a lot of those benefit games at the time, they might have been double- booked? It’s a real puzzle. Thanks again.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:18 pm 
Post subject:

Which one is Hardwick? I can't see his trademark tache!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:41 pm 
Post subject: Did Oldham play Middlesbrough ln The 1950s

Pete, the new set of photos middle photo in Oldham kit far left sitting down l think is George , possibly without a moustache . I’m not absolutely certain though. That could be the next question, did George shave off his moustache at Oldham? It’s a really confusing one . That old fellow in in the Mack in the front row could be the key to all this. He looks famous , but haven’t a clue who he is . You would also think that one or two of the stars mentioned in the newspaper cutting would have made it to the game. As we all know, Bill Shankly would go anywhere to play a game, even if it was against the binmen arriving at Anfield to empty the bins,, or dads and kids playing on a nearby field.
facup1939

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:56 pm 
Post subject:

I don’t think this picture relates to this game.
I don’t know what all of the Pompey players in the team looked like, without checking, but I don’t see McGhee, Gunter, Rutter, Dickinson or Gordon, and I don’t think either of the goalkeepers is Norman Uprichard. Also Lindy Delapenha (if it is him) is in a ‘Pompey’ shirt, and there is no reference of him playing for Pompey in this game.
I stand to be corrected but you may need to look elsewhere.
facup1939

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:21 pm 
Post subject:

I’ve done some more digging, and come up with this.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:22 am 

facup1939,, thanks for having a go. Perhaps the seller thinking it is Oldham has sent me on the wrong track. Could it be Coventry City 1952-57 era? I’ll have a look through the historical football kits.. I still think Delapenha is in the line-up . There was very few black players in The Football League during the early 1950s. Don’t think it’s a non-league encounter. How about a match in Scotland? Might have to give up on this one.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: