Football Programmes Centre

DG Taylor and Steve Earl catalogues
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DG Taylor and Steve Earl catalogues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:01 pm 
Post subject: DG Taylor and Steve Earl catalogues

DG Taylor programmes have updated their online catalogue this week whilst I got Steve Earl's paper catalogue through the post this morning

Each run to about 100 pages, both completely chaotic with no sense or structure to either

Not wanting to be too critical but surely they would do better if they were a bit more organised?

https://tayloprogrammes.webs.com/onlinecatalogue.htm

To be fair to Steve, his online listings are OK

http://www.footballprogs.co.uk/programmecategories
keithofborstal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:45 pm 
Post subject: D G Taylor

Just had a look, oh dear! chaos
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:23 pm 
Post subject: DG TAYLOR

Very successful operator. His new style catalogue takes me back years.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

That DG Taylor catalogue is utterly magnificent! As has been said, takes me back years!

Love the chaotic way in jumps between different stuff, like a whole page of Diss Town programmes, or Kings Lynn Directors teamsheets!!!

You can see whole collections across a page or two, then it's some random non-league stuff, and then some Man United aways!

If people have the patience to trawl through it, there are some rarities there for sure.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:20 am 
Post subject:

What you have to do is understand WHY there is a chaotic nature to DG Taylor's catalogue.

The catalogue is a not a collection of one seller.

The catalogue is a collaboration of many different sellers (similar to a lot of antique emporiums, where there are a dozens of antique dealers with their own individual units within the same building).

That's why it comes across as chaotic.

It would be impossible to do otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:48 am 
Post subject:

Well I never knew that!

As you say there are some nice programmes there
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:59 am 
Post subject:

I didn't know that. it looked like he bought various collections (as several are described as 'genuine collection of..." and just added them to the bottom.

Makes a lot more sense now. Easy
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:22 am 
Post subject:

There is 'method in the madness', the chaotic layout means you have to trawl through the whole catalogue instead of just scanning the specific area or team of interest and may result in buying items you would not normally buy
I actually like Dorian's list, seeing the variety of teams and spread of years makes an interesting if somewhat lengthy read.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:49 am 
Post subject:

There might be a reason but surely being customer friendly should be a bigger priority. Any catalogue that requires me to trawl through Diss programmes or kings lynn teamsheets to try and find things of interest to me is a waste of time. Life is too short.
se20blue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:26 am 
Post subject:

Providing you only want one club there is no problem using the search facility,possibly easier than trawling through Ebay newly listed on a daily basis.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:32 am 
Post subject:

Yes, I can imagine some people find it irritating but when you are retired time is not really an issue. I suppose it is another example of modern living where instant results at the touch of a button is seen as essential. Ebay has made a big difference in finding items of interest instead of wading through catalogues.
Just for general interest purposes i enjoy the 'A Programme on This Day' feature on this site showing various programmes both old and new. I used to love trawling through page after page of the now defunct Sports Programmes Offers List just to see what was on offer. The old paper catalogue was the staple diet for collectors pre the inter age.
It would be interesting to hear the views of different collectors to assess if there is a generational issue to this particular subject.
Merseman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 pm 
Post subject:

I'd never heard of DGT: as a result of this thread I found a dozen items I want, including a few long-desired and few I didn't know existed. Cheers!

However took a chunk of time even with Ctrl/F and it's difficult to look for a particular category I collect due to common names v lack of sectioning.

I can see why many would just despair though. I wouldn't do it regularly.

I never trawl long paper catalogues now... unless well-sectioned to skim.
Bokbag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 pm 
Post subject:

Always find these listings interesting. I think dealers must still do well out of a limited number of markets lots of reserve programmes or older league programmes for example where there are fewer collectors. It’s the only way I can explain that people still are in business when they charge some of the prices for more common items. How many threads have we had in here poking fun at the prices asked on eBay? SE is asking £90 for a fuori campo newspaper from the 1990 World Cup I bought on eBay for £3.50 posted ?
Pacey Winger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:39 pm 
Post subject:

I fell away from collecting pre internet and only recently returned to the hobby.

I am pleasantly surprised that there are still big dealers out there and in business, but i must admit, im surprised. Where i can see E Bay being a god send for the collector with some of the prices, i would have thought it would have been a killer for dealers, particularly the size of the likes of Steve Earl
Legend64

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:40 pm 
Post subject:

I see DG Taylor are attempting to take over from Sports Programmes and have an Offers List.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: