Football Programmes Centre

1985 2 FA Cup Final Programme Covers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1985 2 FA Cup Final Programme Covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:43 pm 
Post subject: 1985 2 FA Cup Final Programme Covers

Anyone interested to view the 2 different covers and the reason why, then click here https://flic.kr/s/aHsjrWSX1r

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
NWM Football

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:20 am 
Post subject:

Hi Leslie,

So what was the reason behind the different programme covers, can't see that you've mentioned it. Was it originally meant to be white, then switched to black because of the Bradford fire ?

Interesting to see that you have a ticket for what would have been the replay, I have a similar one for Coventry v. Tottenham from 1987. I went to the old market in front of Wembley Stadium one Sunday about a month after the Final. Strolling back to the car, I passed some bins, and there was a clear bag sitting next to them, stuffed full of discarded tickets for what would have been the replay. Unfortunately, I only pulled ONE out (with benefit of hindsight, I wish I'd grabbed the whole bloody bag, let alone pulled a handful), but I guess we didn't foresee how popular ticket collecting would become.

Cheers,
Lee

(PS - did you pick up any of NW's items on Weds ?)
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:40 am 
Post subject:

[quote="NWM Football"]Hi Leslie,

So what was the reason behind the different programme covers, can't see that you've mentioned it. Was it originally meant to be white, then switched to black because of the Bradford fire ?

Interesting to see that you have a ticket for what would have been the replay, I have a similar one for Coventry v. Tottenham from 1987. I went to the old market in front of Wembley Stadium one Sunday about a month after the Final. Strolling back to the car, I passed some bins, and there was a clear bag sitting next to them, stuffed full of discarded tickets for what would have been the replay. Unfortunately, I only pulled ONE out (with benefit of hindsight, I wish I'd grabbed the whole bloody bag, let alone pulled a handful), but I guess we didn't foresee how popular ticket collecting would become.

Hi Lee

It appears that the printers submitted 2 versions to the FA to choose from, both with identical pages just the front cover, the Black was chosen over the White which was the right decision.

I am aware of several copies only that have ever surfaced-and i have a spare one!

As for not taking the lot of those tickets you do not need anyone passing comment do you-I think you know urself of that missed opportunity!

Laughing

I was never going to get involved with any of NW items as i knew prices would be way way way over the top, still at £39k for the 1985 FA Cup Winners medal i hope that has elevated prices a little, as I have the odd one!
Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
NWM Football

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:56 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, have to agree, the black cover looks more striking, though sadly the programme can be regarded as the first step on the road to the hideous monstrosities we have today.

As for the 1987 F.A. Cup Final replay ticket, I would have gladly seen the need for it be used - but I'd said to a mate after they won at OT in the 4th Round, I had a gut feeling it was Coventry's year !
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: