Football Programmes Centre

Curiosity?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Curiosity?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albion99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:19 am 
Post subject: Curiosity?

I have not sold a programme since March 2018, simply lazy.
When I do it has always been on ebay, my question is what your opinions are on the strength of the market at the moment?
Prices I see on ebay in recent times when I've looked have invariably been fixed.
Thanks in advance.
Easy Easy
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:44 pm 
Post subject: curiosity

I think the market is very good at the moment. Some programmes have made really good prices on Ebay in the last few months. Especially pre-war issues
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:52 pm 
Post subject:

I started selling programmes on various Facebook forums about six weeks back, put out my first list in years, and had a sale of items from our club shop at the last sportingold auction. In total, we've made far more than I would normally on matchdays throughout the season.

I must have shifted about 400 to 500 programmes at just £1.50 each. They tend to fly out as soon as I put them up - mirroring John Litster's comments in last month's PM about people buying possibly out of boredom.

We also have some items for sale in next Friday's sportingold auction and am hoping it'll bring us some more money in. The whole experience has made me look at the service I provide on matchdays, and at Fairs, because I now have a much wider audience to sell to at the drop of a hat. I think a combination of the two, once the football's back up and running, will be very good indeed.
albion99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:08 pm 
Post subject: Curiosity?

Thanks for that really appreciate it.
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:42 pm 
Post subject:

I think the market has definitely picked up during the lockdown. I'd say the last two months have been some of the busiest but it has dropped a little this month, perhaps with more people going back to work and being busier again?
James

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

I think that during lockdown there are a two big reasons why programmes have been selling well:

1) People are not going out, meaning that they are not spending money in other areas and have more money in their accounts to spend on their hobbies, for example I have not put any fuel in my car since March and I still have over 200 miles worth in there, usually I spend over £200 a month on fuel, so saved approx. £800 (mid march to date).

2) Time, people have more time to go through and list their items for sale and others have more time to search through ebay, programme lists etc to find the stuff they are after.
RoddyN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:19 pm 
Post subject:

And encouragingly several new collectors.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:40 pm 
Post subject:

I run a number of Facebook Football History sites relating to the non league game in Scotland, and they have about 4,000 plus members. I also run a Scottish non league football programme Facebook page that has nearly 1,000 members, a lot of whom are very active indeed.

For me, Facebook is THE vehicle now for selling things outwith auction. No ebay fees, no Paypal fees, and it's almost a return to how things used to be many moons ago in the hobby where trust was always the determinant factor in getting any sale or purchase through.

The amount of new collectors into the hobby through Facebook is staggering. A quick look around the many sites dedicated to programme buying and selling and there's dozens of transactions taking place daily on each of them, ditto the club specific sites too. You don't see the same old crap turning up on a continuous overpriced loop with the ebay seller trying to catch some mug unawares.

Long may this continue. Much as I love PM I don't understand how and why sellers are still happy to wait up to a month to conclude any deal? I honestly can not remember the last time I wrote off an offer by PM. It must have been well over 15 years ago now.

The programme market is constantly changing, and no doubt some other means will eventually overtake everything we use now. It's fascinating stuff.
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:20 pm 

I was recently ripped off when buying a programme from someone on Facebook Marketplace. I sent him £25 for the alleged programme but didn't hear another thing from him after that. I've reported him to Facebook but it probably won't make any difference. He's still advertising the same programme now! Sad
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:41 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
I run a number of Facebook Football History sites relating to the non league game in Scotland, and they have about 4,000 plus members.

The knowledge and insight of many of those who have signed up - especially for the Highland League group - is staggering.
I'd certainly recommend anyone with any interest in the subject to sign up.
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: curiosity

TheSorter! wrote:
I was recently ripped off when buying a programme from someone on Facebook Marketplace. I sent him £25 for the alleged programme but didn't hear another thing from him after that. I've reported him to Facebook but it probably won't make any difference. He's still advertising the same programme now! Sad

Name and shame - its the only way others wont get ripped off as well
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:08 pm 

He's called Scott Warner. He's a conman. His ad is still on Facebook Marketplace now
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:34 pm 
Post subject:

I totally agree with John that Facebook is fast becoming a major selling and buying platform, I have had some good transactions on the various pages, especially during the lockdown.
The flip side is that there are also a large amount of timewasting t***s, 'I can only pay by postal order' merchants (why?), dishonest people, downright oddballs and general ne'er do wells lurking among the many, many honest, genuine and decent collectors and sellers.
I think it is the duty of the honest ones among us to name and shame the miscreants if only to help prevent others getting their fingers burned.
I suppose the relative anonymity of social media (fake IDs etc) is a gift from heaven for certain types of people. Rant over...
Diolch pawb, Mark Thumbs Up
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 pm 

I've bought from 20 different sellers on Facebook Marketplace. 19 were honest and I received the items without any problem and one conned me. So not so bad I suppose as far as Facebook goes!
roughyedz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 pm 
Post subject: Re: curiosity

TheSorter! wrote:

Do the Decent thing on FB and show him up in front of the whole COUNTRY for what he is
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: