Football Programmes Centre

Fantasy Football Programme Collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fantasy Football Programme Collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithofborstal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:25 pm 
Post subject: Fantasy Football Programme Collection

If you were to have 'Fantasy Football Programme Collection' but only allowed to place three items in it, what would they be?
For me the first would be a Thameside Amateurs home programme, as a kid i played hundreds of imaginary 'matches' for them on their derelict ground near where I grew up in Gravesend. The pitch had a hell of a slope on it, the old team bath still sat in what was left of the changing rooms, and the floodlights still stood on their black and white painted pole around the pitch. The large gates were still in situ bearing the club badge a shield with a black background and a white stripe running through it. A friend of mine had a Thameside Amateurs programme and sold it to Ian Hands about ten years ago, sadly Ian is no longer with us, but what happened to that programme I wonder?
The second item is also a Non Lge issue but I don't know if it exists, a Shorts Sports home match, during the war the factory side from Rochester, where i now live, competed in the Kent League against the likes of Gillingham. The factory made the Short Sunderland flying boats amongst others. I know the location of their former ground and have seen an away programme but never a 'home' issue nor a photograph of the ground or team.
The last item is more attainable 1970-1 saw Chelsea beat Real Madrid in a ECWC final that went to a replay, played in Greece. I was still at school then so could not afford to buy the programme and I still can't! There are reproductions about but frankly they are a poor substitute for the real thing! That is my three, how about yours?
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:58 pm 
Post subject:

Keith

Now I know why the Thameside Programme Club

anyone else on the forum remember the Thameside Programme Club ?
keithofborstal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:21 pm 
Post subject: Thameside Programme Club

Yes indeed! that is where the name came from, I am researching an article on Programme Clubs for Programme Monthly any memories or thoughts welcome!
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:34 pm 
Post subject:

First up, I'd have a REALLY old Crystal Palace programmicard - Palace were founded in 1905, and for the first few years at least these were produced - a bit like a Victorian version of the York 'Chinese takeaway menu' programe of the early 1980s!

Second, an original 1966 England World Cup Final programme - I have a reprint, and I'm happy with it, but it'd be lovely to have the real thing!

Thirdly, an early Dorking Wanderers programme. My local non league club only started in 1999 as a park team, and I have what I believe is their first home issue from 2007 when they started in the lowest rung of the Sussex league, but it wouldn't suprise me if there are programmes for the odd away game or friendly from before 2007. It's not exactly ancient, so no doubt they exist in some club shop box or in some groundhoppers collection!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:22 pm 
Post subject:

In answer to Keith of Borstal, there is a Shorts FC programme out there somewhere.

Many moons ago an old boy called Frank something posted me a photocopy of the programme shown below, which does not show a date of any sort but does include the 1st Division league table from 38/9 and also the Kent League, presumably from the same season. In Club Notes #2 a date of October 18th is given for a forthcoming attraction, the Supporters' Club dance. So this match must be either in summer 1939 or very early autumn as we all know what happened on 3rd September. In Club Notes #1 the writer refers to the "Football League grouping its own clubs" so that does suggest this was after the league had been suspended and plans were being made for the war leagues.

Anyway Keith, could this be the answer to your prayers?

6 of the Palace team played for the Club before, during and in some cases after WW2. As for "Frank", I seem to remember he chased me up as to whether I wanted to buy the original, but I declined and I can only assume I had financial commitments elsewhere at the time. I haven't heard from him since and I would imagine he's no longer with us now. This has to be over 20 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
CanaryHonestMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:54 pm 
Post subject:

This February 1941 Shorts v Norwich City friendly was sold by Sportingold for a hammer price of £160 last year.

keithofborstal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:31 am 
Post subject: Short Sports

Fantastic, thanks for sharing that, at least I know it exists!
keithofborstal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:08 pm 
Post subject: Found another Short Sports programme

1942 v Met Police found in the The official Kent League Centenary Brochure.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: