Football Programmes Centre

Theo Foley RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Theo Foley RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:33 pm 
Post subject: Theo Foley RIP

Sad to relate that Theo Foley passed away today, aged 83.

A right back with 9 Irish Republic international caps, he started his career at Home Farm, moving to England and joining Exeter in 1955, playing 155 games there. In 1961 he joined Northampton and played a huge role as the Cobblers moved their way up the Football League, playing 205 games before signing for Charlton in 1967.

His playing career was short there (6 games only) as he moved into coaching, first at the Valley, where my photo is taken, and then on to Millwall. Around that time he became good friends with George Graham and when Stroller took over at Arsenal in 1986, Theo was his obvious right hand man, enjoying 4 fabulous years there. Finally he went back to the Cobblers for a three-year stint until 1993.

A popular man, a very good full back, a gentleman. RIP Theo.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
garyspain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:58 pm 
Post subject:

Sad news RIP
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:42 pm 
Post subject:

I was an avid reader of football programmes, magazines and newspapers as a kid scanning the results, league tables, match reports. line-ups etc and Theo Foley has always been the name I associate with the Northampton Town team that had a meteoric rise through the league followed by an equally quick back down in the 1960s.
Theo was Assistant Manager to George Graham at Arsenal for 4 years including the famous 1988-89 title winning side that won 2-0 at Anfield in the title decider.
Yet, another name from my childhood memories gone - RIP Theo.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: