Football Programmes Centre

Sports Programmes - last ever offers catalogue
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sports Programmes - last ever offers catalogue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driver8

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:08 pm 
Post subject: Sports Programmes - last ever offers catalogue

Received my Sports Programmes offers catalogue this morning.

Roy has announced this will be the last ever one although some items from time to time will be listed on the website.

Having dealt with Sports Programmes for over 35 years and obtained many of my harder to find issues from them I would would just like to say a big thank-you and enjoy your retirement.
overlap

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:05 pm 
Post subject:

A it late to the party... only dealt with them for 15 years, but all I can say is that both Roy and Joy have been a pleasure to deal with.
holtie96

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:32 pm 
Post subject: Sports programmes

Agreed, they have played a big part in aiding my collecting over the years and have whiled away many of hours browsing the catalogue. Will be missed but deserve a well deserved break.
Another sign that times are a changing in the hobby...
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:02 pm 
Post subject:

I first bought off Roy and Tony in about 1984, right at the start of my collecting but I'm sure there will be some on here who go back even further.

Wishing Roy and Joy a very well earned and happy retirement
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

When I was visiting Birmingham in the early 1970's I would visit Tony at the Digbeth shop.

Victorian Cup Finals on display amongst a treasure trove of other bits, followed them when Tony went to Coventry and I was a regular visitor and catalogue devotee.

It was sad when Tony passed away, but Roy and Joy just carried on, spent more than an hour of two in front of their fire as well.

How many times was I late for work rushing to see what the latest list had in store-I bet I was not the only one!

I once won a couple of the first 2 Charity Shields with an offer of £300 for one and a bit more for the replay in the 1980's over different catalogues, do not know how I managed to find the brass to pay, but I did and I recall Roy saying to me to stop complaining "one day its going to be worth a great deal more", alas it had to go in the year 2000 and both have sold for between £10 and £13k over the last few years.

I will never forget the integrity of Roy Calmels when I had to sell up 20 years ago, he was approached by my ex wife to value the collection and he flatly refused to do so!.

After the sale there was next to nowt left of any significance and I decided not to go back into programmes-and never took another list, but then ebay appeared and I started to get interested again about 3 years later.

I would receive the Sports list on email but never found anything outstanding ever again unfortunately.

I am sure they will sell online now and forget all that work, it is still hard work online business but no more lists and all of that!

Good Luck to them both

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:37 am 
Post subject:

Welcome to Sports Programmes

It is with regret and some sadness that we must announce that after 47 years, this will be our last catalogue, closing on 24th June 2020.

I am 80 in January and Joy underwent a serious operation in February, from which thankfully she is fully recovered, but I am afraid enough is enough.

We still have plenty of stock, so please check out our website from time to time as we shall probably be listing items on straight sale, or even mini-lists on particular subjects, when time permits.

Thank you all for your support over the years especially to those of you who were with us in the Coventry or Birmingham days.

THANK YOU ALL
Roy & Joy
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:01 pm 
Post subject:

The Sports Programmes General catalogue, long since discontinued, played a huge part in rebuilding my collection.
The Offers Catalogue less so but it was still an event when it popped through the letterbox to spend a couple of hours going through to see if that elusive programme was listed this time. I look forwsrd to receiving the latest and the last in the next day or so.
I have often thought how great it would be to spend just a couple of hours in the Sports Programmes stock room.
Sports Programmes have played a major and significant role in the hobby over the years.
I would like to record my appreciation for the time and effort they have devoted to both the collector and the hobby in general.

Last edited by Footyfan on Thu May 28, 2020 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fishy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:42 pm 
Post subject:

Not a lot more to say really than what has been said above.
Genuinely nice people to deal with and I'm sure that a few gems will still appear on their website.

Thank you Roy and Joy.
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:47 pm 
Post subject:

My first mispent youth...living at home whilst doing my degree so the grant (those were the days) could be spent of football, beer and programmes.

Cue the arrival of the Sports programmes catalogue....scanning though and then endless time spent retailing until Tony Stanford replied and you found out if you had beaten messers Smith Bowden or Roberts to the rarities featiuring Argyle....safe in the knowledge that their collections were so far ahead of yours there would still be plenty left.

Then in adulthood deciding that new girlfriend and house was worth more than mere paper....so trekking up to the warehouse and concluding a fair price for my recently collected collection that was lingering in my parents spare room....

I really am getting old now aren't I!

Enjoy your retirement Roy & Joy....may you have as many great times as the great memories you have created for us sad addicts Smile
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:13 pm 
Post subject: SPORTS PROGRAMMES

Just like to add to the previous comments.Roy and Joy are people of the highest integrity and I personally will miss their massive offers catalogue.
Every good wish both.
Leigh
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:42 pm 
Post subject:

Nothing to add but just to echo what others have said.
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:11 pm 
Post subject:

They will be sadly missed by me, a major reason I am a collector is because of their catalogues, I wish them both well in their retirement, a big thank you.
EFC_Graeme

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:00 pm 
Post subject:

Will the latest catalogue be posted on the website?
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:16 am 
Post subject:

EFC_Graeme wrote:
Will the latest catalogue be posted on the website?

The catalogue is on their website
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:00 am 
Post subject:

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: