Football Programmes Centre

CHANGE OF HEART........
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CHANGE OF HEART........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footyfan

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:20 pm 
Post subject: CHANGE OF HEART........

over colecting. Has anyone else stopped collecting, even disposed of a collection only to return the hobby after a significant break?
I was an avis collector in my youth (1960s) but when Ii joined the army in 1975 and posted overseas had a period when I was unable to attend matches and also lost interest in collectiing.
To compound the problem my mother decided to clear out the bulk of my collection.
On return to the UK in 1989 I git the bug again but It has taken me years and some expense to reconstruct my collection and it is not anywhere near as comprehensive as it was.
Eck

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:06 am 
Post subject:

Yes then chucked it again I have 3 other collections Toy soldiers I have thousands, Marc Bolan & T.rex especially vinyl and Laurel & Hardy (not so much)
Still very much involved with programmes I do a bit of buying & selling but small scale.
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:22 am 
Post subject:

Never really stoped collecting I am an avid collector of memorabilia re my all-time footballing hero the late Derek Dougan.
When I got wed in 76 and we moved into our new home my new wife said to me you are not taking that shite with you are you... I am so glad i took it with me...... It may be shite to some people but its my shite ?.
fcht1962

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:31 am 
Post subject:

I got told the same regarding my loft full of 'shite' when i got married.Fortunately it survived but the shite i married is long gone..Smile
Eck

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 am 
Post subject:

When my wife's knees became really bad l said to her l hope there isn't a fire in the flat because by the time l get the pets and my programmes to safety it will be too late to save you. Wink
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:00 am 
Post subject:

My lovely partner collects all kinds of Pig memorabilia.... She said that is what attracted me to her ?. ??
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:41 am 
Post subject:

My wife always says my football memorabilia 'smells of death'.
I often open up a binder by season and read the programme and match cutiings etc and can remember the game in question - my wife will never understand the pleasure I get from this.
They do say that the older we get the more nostalgic we become.
Of course the big question is what to do with the 'collection', my eldest daughter likes football but has no interest in my collection.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 pm 
Post subject:

I would say that over the years I have got worse and worse, the more I can afford, and the more I can find.

If ebay and the internet hadn't existed I wouldn't have half the stuff I have now. Its great in one way, that things I reminisce about are found a lot easier, but I do have to regn it in sometimes, when I find myself buying football egg cups, rosettes and goodness knows what else in moments of temptation.

I guess I am a romantic collector - I see one old thing and think how amazing it would look to have a whole collection of lots of the same thing. Before you know it, I have a wall cabinet full of bobble head figures, mugs or something else random!

Luckily my Mrs is a big football fan too and puts up with it, and I can always point to her vast collection of Take That shite
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:30 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="Footyfan"]My wife always says my football memorabilia 'smells of death'.
I often open up a binder by season and read the programme and match cutiings etc and can remember the game in question - my wife will never understand the pleasure I get from this.
They do say that the older we get the more nostalgic we become.
Of course the big question is what to do with the 'collection', my eldest daughter likes football but has no interest in my collection.[/quote
What you got my friend, I am always looking for Wolves memorabilia 67-75.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:21 pm 
Post subject:

I sold my huge Cardiff collection, 99% complete back to WW2, in 1994 to Sports Programmes. they proceeded to list a load of rare items in their general catalogue at 50p or £1 each. Two of my mates couldn't;t believe their luck and bought loads!

I tried to get back in to in again twice, but the cost put me off and the desire to get something second time around.

However in the last 18 months I have pretty much got ti all back again, helped by purchasing two Cardiff collections.

The downside is when you buy so many programmes in one go you cannot really appreciate, or read, them all. But when you get one in the post a quick san takes a a minute or so.

I've started on Newport and Welsh non league clubs too!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: