Football Programmes Centre

Peter Whittingham RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Peter Whittingham RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:15 pm 
Post subject: Peter Whittingham RIP

As if things aren't bad enough for us all at the moment, I am very sad to report that Peter Whittingham has passed away after hitting his head in a fall. 35 years old, and out of the game for just a couple of years, he leaves a very young family.

What a player he was for Cardiff, with nearly 100 goals usually off his favoured left foot, in over 400 games there. He started at Villa and played over 50 games there before his £350k transfer to South Wales. He also won 17 England U-21 caps, before ending his league career with a season at Blackburn.

At club level with Cardiff he won promotion to the Prem in 2013, and reached the FA Cup final in 2008 and the League Cup final in 2012. And he was rightly picked in the best EFL team of the decade, 2005-2015.

This is a terrible loss, so young. My thoughts are for his young widow and family.

RIP Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
cardiff55

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:25 pm 
Post subject:

Nice one Pete.

As a Cardiff fan I had the pleasure of watching Peter Whittingham throughout his time at Cardiff. He was an outstanding midfielder, often voted the best in the Championship. He scored loads of goals, a lot of penalties but about 50% of his goals were spectacular strikes from free kicks and volleys. He was superb, I think he is 3rd in the all time list of League appearances for City and in the top 10 goalscorers (not bad for a midfield player). I think he and Warnock fell out at the end and he went to Blackburn for a year or so.

There are youtube videos of his goals and they are well worth watch. One compilation shows all the League goals, 85, and to score almost 100 goals from midfield is simply fabulous. He was also an England Under 21/23 international, where he played left back i think!

He will be sorely missed, and it's just a shame there are no games currently so a suitable tribute can be paid. i am sure there willl be one in the future.

Tony
cardiff55

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 pm 
Post subject:

Nice one Pete.

As a Cardiff fan I had the pleasure of watching Peter Whittingham throughout his time at Cardiff. He was an outstanding midfielder, often voted the best in the Championship. He scored loads of goals, a lot of penalties but about 50% of his goals were spectacular strikes from free kicks and volleys. He was superb, I think he is 4th in the all time list of appearances for City and in the top 10 goalscorers (not bad for a midfield player). I think he and Warnock fell out at the end and he went to Blackburn for a year or so.

There are youtube videos of his goals and they are well worth watch. One compilation shows all the League goals, 85, and to score almost 100 goals from midfield is simply fabulous. He was also an England Under 21/23 international, where he played left back i think!

He will be sorely missed, and it's just a shame there are no games currently so a suitable tribute can be paid. i am sure there willl be one in the future.

Tony
Blackjack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:09 pm 
Post subject:

As a Swansea fan i find this so sad. Even though our hatred for each other and each others players is huge, my thoughts go out to his family and all at Cardiff. He was the 1 player that played for them that we in Swansea would have wanted to play for us.
RIP buddy from a Jack
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:20 am 
Post subject:

Very sad. Good player. Thoughts go out to his family and friends
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
cardiff55

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:08 pm 
Post subject:

Blackjack wrote:
As a Swansea fan i find this so sad. Even though our hatred for each other and each others players is huge, my thoughts go out to his family and all at Cardiff. He was the 1 player that played for them that we in Swansea would have wanted to play for us.
RIP buddy from a Jack

As a Cardiff fan I was deeply saddened by his passing. He was a player who could have played at a much higher level, and turned down chances to go, happy to stay local and play for us.

But I don't hate Swansea players, just their fans, former board members (the current board are doing a grand job!), and certain managers, well one.

A lot of players played for both clubs and were liked at both Mel Charles, ivor Allchurch, Alan Curtis, Robbie James, Nigel Stevenson, Jimmy Gilligan, Andy Legg, Jason Bowen and many more.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: