Football Programmes Centre

What would you bid?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What would you bid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 pm 
Post subject: What would you bid?

Ok folks - a little parlour game to play! This advert appeared in Soccer Star in September 1961, if it appeared in a magazine today, what would you bid? I know it doesn't state which clubs, what condition etc but on that score let's treat it like a blind auction. Also let's pretend we are all minted with mega-deep pockets and money isn't an issue. I will start the ball rolling at £7,000. As Brucie used to say on The Price is Right - higher or lower than a seven? And please remember, this post is just intended as a bit of fun! Mwynhau pawb, Mark Thumbs Up

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:34 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry Mark but I think I would bid £31000. That is if money not an issue. I don’t think my bid would be successful
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting - what do others think?
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:45 am 
Post subject:

I would probably bid in the region of about £40,000, money no object, that is in today's terms. There can't be every cup Final since 1915 as, due to World War One, no Cup Finals were in force until 1919. Of course there may be region Cup Finals.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:32 am 
Post subject:

It would be interesting finding out what those mystery cup finals were. £40001 ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
JJPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm 
Post subject:

SeasideMark wrote:
Interesting - what do others think?

Makes me wonder as its "onlyish" 59 years ago that the buyer maybe/could be still alive Sherlock.........
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:24 pm 
Post subject:

I think highly unlikely. Even back then, to have amassed that collection, likely to be in his late 30's at least you would think. So now circa 100!
gatfb

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:48 pm 
Post subject:

It may not go for so much today but a 1915 Final prog on its own sold for £15,000 in 2001.
JJPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:32 am 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
I think highly unlikely. Even back then, to have amassed that collection, likely to be in his late 30's at least you would think. So now circa 100!

Collectors were much younger 50 60 years ago and at a guess I would say the average collector in 1960 was between 15 an 30 (some younger and some older) as now the average collector would be between 40 and 70 (again some younger and some older),
So.... The buyer "could" still be around and aged (using my theory Mad ) 75 to 90 ( Laughing ).
RoddyN

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:02 am 
Post subject:

Last 1915 Final went for £12,000 a couple of years ago.
The key to the collection is what Pre War Internationals are involved. Are there Scottish, Welsh Irish etc? Are they all homes? aways in Europe go for many thousands pre war. If they are indeed England Pre War Internationals there were relatively few England home Internationals at Wembley pre war so there could be massive value for programmes like England v Belgium at Highbury 1923 ( last traded price around £8000 some years ago) and others with similar values. Totally hypothetical unless one knows the matches but they could easily be worth well over £100,000 if they were at some of the other grounds.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am 
Post subject:

As the seller is from Salford there may be Manchester United issues amongst the 250 pre war League. Obviously a huge difference between those and large numbers of Chelsea or Fulham pre war.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: