Football Programmes Centre

A programme from this day in History - A Return....
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from this day in History - A Return....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoddyN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

I just made contact with the person with whom I attended the match in Manchester. We hadn't seen each other for almost 45 years and spent an hour relating our memories of that evening. It still remains the most watched live football match in FA Cup history on television with an audience of 28.2 million only ever exceeded by the 1966 World Cup Final and the sixth largest audience for any live broadcast.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:15 pm 
Post subject:

Sharrow: Have your boys watched it? I wonder what they make of it.

Or is it post watershed viewing only
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:23 am 
Post subject:

30 April 1960

Carlisle United v Gateshead. A 4 nil home win in what was Gateshead’s last away match in the league. A much sought after programme, with the last two or three I have seen sold fetching £300 plus.

The following week Gateshead beat the league champions, Walsall, at home by 3 goals to nil to end the season 3rd bottom with both Oldham and Hartlepools below them.

As older members will know, at that time, promotion and relegation in and out of the league was decided by an election involving the bottom 4 league teams and any prospective new league members; teams in the first division had 4 votes each: second division had 2 votes and all other clubs one vote each.

Reading between the lines the old boys network had played a part for years to keep ambitious non- league teams out of the League. This season things were different. It was the end of the second season without regionalisation. The old 3rd divisions south and north had been amalgamated. Attendance money was shared by the home and away teams and the grim reality of a trip up north for some of the clubs in the South, both in terms of travel expense and in reality was hitting home.

Peterborough was the team pushing, deservedly, for a league place. They had dominated the Midland League, had good facilities, decent crowds and were on the main train line not much more than an hour from London.

The 4 teams applying for re-election (Hartlepools, Oldham, Gateshead and Southport) had poor facilities, low crowds and visits left most clubs well out of pocket. Looking at it now, any one of the 4 could have been voted out, but as it happened, the third bottom team, Gateshead went out. Accrington failed to finish the season 2 years later, but it was another 10 years before another team, Bradford Park Avenue, failed to be re-elected.

Anyway, enough of the history lesson, here is the programme:

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:02 am 
Post subject:

RoddyN wrote:
I just made contact with the person with whom I attended the match in Manchester. We hadn't seen each other for almost 45 years and spent an hour relating our memories of that evening. It still remains the most watched live football match in FA Cup history on television with an audience of 28.2 million only ever exceeded by the 1966 World Cup Final and the sixth largest audience for any live broadcast.

Excellent
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:09 am 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
Sharrow: Have your boys watched it? I wonder what they make of it.

Or is it post watershed viewing only

They understood that there was no love lost between the two sides....I think they found it amusing, the state of the pitch, (especially the first game) the toilet rolls on the back of the net, the huge surges behind the nets by the crowd, the blind ref, the reactions of the players, (just accepted it) and the commentary and the fact that Chelsea actually won Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:17 am 
Post subject:

30 April 1938

Port Vale v Rochdale.

Vale won 4 - 1.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 am 
Post subject:

Double header today, was without internet connection yesterday, and not as my son had suggested (hiding in a cupboard in a pub in Pitsmoor, when the police raided it) Shake Sad

So, yesterday 29th April 1964

County cup game, they finally found the trophy the other day, after thirty odd years, (Barnsley had lost it), somebody was selling it on ebay Laughing

and today 30th April 1969

A large issue for a French 2nd division game between Besancon and Limoges

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:26 am 
Post subject:

As we get to the end of the month, have to say there's been some great little programmes showed (not mine Sad ). Keep it up boys
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:02 am 
Post subject:

Back in 1949 12755 fans turned up at Eastville to see the last home game of the season. It ended in a 2-2 draw.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

Tuesday 30th April 1974

Cardiff City v Crystal Palace

Gate: 26,781

And now for the story, for which please see the league table below. Last game of the season, Palace third bottom at Cardiff 4th bottom. Cardiff 2 points ahead with slightly better goal average. But any sort of win would have put Palace level on points with a better goal average.

As it stood, here were the goal averages.

Cardiff F 48 - A 61 avge .787
Palace F 42 - A 56 avge .764

Very close, with 0.23 of a goal between them in City's favour. But here's what a 1-0 win to Palace would have done:

Cardiff F 48 - A 62 avge .774
Palace F 43 - A 55 avge .782

Or a 2-1 win to Palace:

Cardiff F 49 - A 63 avge .778
Palace D 44 - A 56 avge .786

So as I said any sort of win would see Palace stay up. And they took the lead early on when full back Stewart Jump scrambled one home following a dead ball. But the lead didn't last long as City's Derek Showers hit a deflected shot past Paul Hammond. And there it stayed.

So - 1-1 - Palace relegated as the first side to go down third from bottom in history.

I close with a recently acquired press photo from this match - Palace's Mel Blyth, in all white, holds off City's tenacious midfielder Willie Carlin
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:55 pm 
Post subject:

25 years ago (to the minute) on 30th April 1995 the final home league game of the season also brought an end to an era, the last ever league game at Ayresome Park. However a lot’s happened since then, an FAC Final appearance, 3 x League Cup Finals, a European Final, a Play-off Final, Promotions...oh, I nearly forgot, a few Relegations. Life’s not been dull at Boro over the last 25 years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

End of a miserable season that ended in relegation to the third tier for the first time in the Rams' history.
the 3-0 win was only their second win since December 4th - the crowd of just 7,776 reflecting the malaise surrounding the club at the time.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: