Football Programmes Centre

Rhyl and Manchester United
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rhyl and Manchester United

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:21 pm 
Post subject: Rhyl and Manchester United

Really bad news regarding the demise of Rhyl the other day, supporters trying to raise £20k to keep things going.

£20k to a footballer eh-still I hear an Arsenal player refused a drop in wage-not surprising it was the one who is the highest earner of them all and who produces the least on the pitch.

Anyhow I just thought I would show a few little scarcities from when Manchester United played at Rhyl and when United met a Western Command team at Rhyl.

I live 20 minutes from Old Trafford, but I can get to Gigg Lane in Bury in about 10 minutes and now with the lockdown and no traffic you can half that!. Trouble is now another smashing little club in Bury has gone and may not ever get back into any league-real shame. United and City could have bailed them out and paid them back over 50 years-total chicken feed.

Rhyl F.C.[North Wales] v a Manchester United X1-Friendly Challenge Match 1959. Two different programme covers for the same match. by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Rhyl-1959-600001 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Western Command[Armed Forces] v Manchester United 1955-56 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr
MU-8400001 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Raxfactor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:56 pm 
Post subject:

Love those Rhyl programmes from the late 1950's they are excellent, whoever was responsible for producing those did a fantastic job, far better content than some of their football league rivals and a credit to the non league programmes of that era.
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:03 pm 
Post subject: Rhyl

Nice to see those Leslie! Had a few come my way over the years! Sadly Rhyl FC have been mismanaged badly over the last 15 years and the true figure needed to bail them out of the shit was £175k. There is also the problem of the ground's landlord who steadfastly refused to give them a long lease needed to access grant funding to develop the stadium and infrastructure. The supporters raised £20k and that will now probably go towards starting a phoenix club - I believe they will be talking to FCUM and others about how to get this going. I have been watching football at Belle Vue (Rhyl not Manchester!) since I was a little boy in the late 1960s and used to go with my Dad when Chester (our first love) were playing away and it was too far to drive. My big concern is that Rhyl's demise will have severe ramifications for football in Wales as a whole with many clubs in a similarly parlous financial state. Oh, and don't get me started on the bastards at the Welsh FA...anyway, it is lovely to see those programmes from a time when Rhyl were among the top ten non-league clubs in the country. Trist iawn yn wir, Mark Thumbs Up
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:11 pm 
Post subject: rhyl

Rexfactor - yes, they were fantastic programmes and as you say, far better than many of their Football League counterparts. A local printer (Douglas's and in later years Clwyd Press) did them at cost such was the esteem of being involved with Rhyl FC in the 1950s and local journalists contributed much of the content free of charge, a tradition which continued into the early 1980s with the likes of Bill Prandle (WHP), Mike McEvoy, Phil Stanley, Dave Jones and my good self (I know the names mean nothing outside North Wales) all chipping in with stuff over the decades. Just a bit of local knowledge to share! Hwyl, Mark Thumbs Up
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:23 pm 
Post subject:

Admit it Leslie...you'd rather have mine Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Admit it Leslie...you'd rather have mine Smile

yes ur right-get a blue biro and scribble out Sheffield and write in Manchester! Laughing Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: