Football Programmes Centre

Favourite programme covers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Favourite programme covers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

A fairly recent purchase 25/6 Derby v Middlesbrough. I had wanted a Derby pre war for a while but didn’t want one with the team lines on the cover. This one looks great.

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

Manchester United Youths entered the Blue Star Tournament in Zurich in 1954 for the first time, this is the Programme covering all the games-United's kids won it and did so again and again for some years to come.

One of my favourites for sure:

Manchester United play at the Blue Stars Youth Tournament Zurich 1954 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
seand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:05 pm 
Post subject:

Shaktar Donetsk vSpartak Moscow 1971

1981 European Cup final

1962 European Cup final

1993 FAI Cup final

1982 Athlone v Dundalk
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:19 pm 
Post subject:

I flick through the Carlisle sports memorabilia items listed on eBay most days. Most of the time I use my phone so I am really just scrolling through the images hoping something catches my eye. In particular I am looking for images like the one below - a pre war Carlisle home. This is one that I purchased via football programmes.com on eBay.

At first glance this one looks very ordinary; just a standard 28/9 reserve home game. However, this is issue 1 of that season, Carlisle’s first league season. While the reserves were at home to Dipton United, the first team were playing their first league away at Accrington.

The issue is also out of the ordinary because I have never seen another programme involving Dipton United. I had to google to find that Dipton is a mining village in County Durham.

I am lucky enough to have quite a few pre war Carlisle homes, but this is right up there as a favourite.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:20 pm 
Post subject:

This one is just rare rather than being a particularly great cover - but very much of its time.

1907/8 English Cup Tie

Carlisle United v Windermere

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:09 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
This one is just rare rather than being a particularly great cover - but very much of its time.

1907/8 English Cup Tie

Wow! what an exceptional item, never seen a Carlisle programme as old as this exhibit, are there any others out there you have even older or in general?. Thanks for sharing! Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:17 pm 
Post subject:

Another Fantastic Blackpool Cover-just a reserve issue with 14 pages, superior to any other Central League programme of it's time!.

Blackpool Reserves v Manchester United Reserves Central League Season 1936-7 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Another cover, not so fantastic as regards artwork/design but more for it's scarcity as I doubt that there are many Coventry Pre-War homes in general that survived the terrible damage inflicted by the Luftwaffe.

Coventry City v Manchester United League Division Two Season 1937-8 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

This next one has always been a favourite of mine as a cover as it shows so much respect to MUFC in 1958 and the fund raising of the local non league Ashton United and that of Rotherham United who together combined to earn a few quid for the dependants of the Air Crash.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iJSXso]

[/url]Ashton United v Rotherham United by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Wave

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:36 pm 
Post subject:

Here’s a slightly older Coventry issue from 1920 that survived the Luftwaffe- great cartoon on the cover which is a match report of the previous home fixture. A 1 all draw with Leeds United.

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:42 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Carlisleprogs wrote:

1907/8 English Cup Tie

Wow! what an exceptional item, never seen a Carlisle programme as old as this exhibit, are there any others out there you have even older or in general?. Thanks for sharing! Wave

I have got 3 from that season; Windermere, Chorley and Bury. The first two were bought in a Carlisle auction about 2 years ago. I picked the Bury one up from eBay. Would be nice to pick one up against Manchester United’s Lancs Combination team.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

"I have got 3 from that season; Windermere, Chorley and Bury. The first two were bought in a Carlisle auction about 2 years ago. I picked the Bury one up from eBay. Would be nice to pick one up against Manchester United’s Lancs Combination team".

I would have to fight you to the death for that one! Laughing

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:05 pm 
Post subject:

Football Programme Cover site has 248 members showing currently 32,651 Programme covers-so why not just join for free and upload something?.
There are many on both Forums who are active, but always need new blood.

This is the link https://flic.kr/g/7MMVT

Cmon get ur phones and scanners out, not like there is much else to do! Laughing

Wave

Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:33 pm 
Post subject:

Leslie, you may find the notes on this one of interest. I am not sure of the year but think it is 1908/9 v Middlesbrough. I have a separate team page but just not 100 per cent confident to put the two pieces together. Not sure what the poor official had done to get “mobbed”. Maybe a late goal and early example of Fergie time?

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:32 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:
Leslie, you may find the notes on this one of interest. I am not sure of the year but think it is 1908/9 v Middlesbrough. I have a separate team page but just not 100 per cent confident to put the two pieces together. Not sure what the poor official had done to get “mobbed”. Maybe a late goal and early example of Fergie time?

Well according to the Lancashire Combination Division One Tables for 1908-09, the "fracas" did not affect either teams efforts in the League that Season.

I hasten to add this cracking little volume was NOT the same one that was sold last week at Stacys[that was 1904-05].

Wave

Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

some lovely programmes on this thread, thanks all for sharing.
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:10 pm 
Post subject:

I bet Accrington would be happy to draw Manchester City away these days. Wonder if the 36/7 trip was financially lucrative. It was their reward for beating Blackburn in the previous round after a replay:

The second item is another Accrington cup tie. This time the 37/8 home v Crystal Palace. Would the current Palace side fancy an away trip to the Wham stadium? Not sure of the result back then but was probably a long old trip up to Accrington in 1937.

Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure about the players, but the Palace fans certainly would!

We played there in the FA Youth Cup 3 or 4 years ago, I chose not to make the long trip because their previous 3 or 4 home games had been postponed because of the pitch, and the game was only arranged with a weeks notice.

Really wish I had gone now, it's a club I would love to visit
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

Carlisleprogs wrote:

Can you confirm it's v Middlesbrough Res for certain?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:38 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry not 100 per cent sure and struggling to find what might be the other part.
In the meantime, here is 1909/10 v Middlesbrough - not perfect condition but good for its age. Needs a bit of restoration.

Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:57 pm 
Post subject:

Wow, thanks for sharing that photo of the Carlisle v Boro Res prog.

Going back to the original North Eastern League programme it’s definitely 1908/09 as this was Huddersfield’s only season in the league, as depicted in the league table. However I don’t think it’s v Middlesbrough. My reasoning is that the league table indicates that Boro had played 23 games but as Carlisle played Boro Res on 05.12.08, it would have only been Boro Res 13th game.

Looking at the text, it indicates “ Can they beat the Champions today” so I’d presume that would be Newcastle United Res who won the league in 1907/08. Carlisle played Newcastle United Res on 06.03.09 losing 1-3. This fixture is backed up as Carlisle played Bury at Devonshire Park a week later 0n 13.03.09.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Rocky

Thanks for that. It certainly looks like you are right.

Here’s a really nice Workington v Middlesbrough Res from 1923/4

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: