Football Programmes Centre

Wembley Board Game
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wembley Board Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:12 pm 
Post subject: Wembley Board Game

Hi All

Has anybody played this game? Must admit, though I'm the right sort of age, it passed me by, I was a Subbuteo kid so had no time for other board games etc.

Reason I'm asking is there's one on Ebay and I've been tempted to get it for ages, but it goes round and round and is on BIN @ £18.

Is it worth it? Is that good value? I have no idea.

Cheers
Pete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:46 am 
Post subject:

Hi Pete, yes I played it, (still do) Laughing

My mate used to bring his to school on the last day of term every year and we'd have 16 of us having 2 teams each. It was really popular with us, so I bought one sometime in the early 80s.

There are different versions, in some versions the teams are slightly different, although the game is still the same I've now got three of them, one from the 50s, 1 from the 60s and one from the 70s. Occasionally I have a quick glance to see if the ones on sale have a slightly different board to mine. I know there's one with Sheffield United somewhere.

Its a game of luck more than skill, but the boards are a nice work of art.

I confess, I still take one of them around to one of our neighbours near new year every year because my lads and some of our neighbours mates enjoy the break from the Xbox for an hour Laughing To be fair they love it.

Its important to make sure the proper coloured dice are there.

Value wise...its subjective, they do fluctuate a bit, the trouble with old board games there is a tendency from some to label them as vintage which is an excuse to ramp up the price. No expert... but would say £18 is somewhere in midfield as it were. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:01 pm 
Post subject:

This one must be from 1970/1 due to Aston Villa & Fulham being in Divs 3/4, and Forest & WBA both in Div 1. Plus "Orient" in Div 2. Sadly Sheffield United (not to mention, Palace) aren't included.

It looks complete though a little worn but it's 50 years old so you expect some wear. Looks like there are 6 dice of different colours, 4 with numbers on.

Thanks for your help on this, I am sorely tempted.
manutd1977

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:19 pm 
Post subject:

It is correct calling it "vintage" as its over 25 years old, antique over 100 years.
Anybody remember Bobby Charlton's "Snoookard" game.
Bobby endorses it but it is a snooker game, can't find any information on it anywhere.
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:49 pm 
Post subject:

Pete - the listing does say best offer, so if it's been going round and round as you say, try a sneaky reduced bid.
You never know
martino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

I have got Top Team Soccer game from the 50's/60's.

If anyone is interested in seeing the contents I will dig it out and post some photos.
Fishy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:03 pm 
Post subject:

I'd never heard of it - Subutteo (like Pete), until some of the cards and values chits for Millwall came up and I bought some to go with my card collection.

I don't think that I have all possible items so if anyone can update my 'have' list below I would be very grateful:

Playing card (red back) £900
Pink card £900

Playing card (red back) £1200
Playing card (green back) £1200
Pink card £1200

Playing card (red back) £2400

Playing card (red back) £6000
Pink card £6000

I have seen a Playing card - £180000 on Ebay but missed that one.
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:08 pm 
Post subject:

whosbrianwilson wrote:
Pete - the listing does say best offer, so if it's been going round and round as you say, try a sneaky reduced bid.
You never know

Yes, I'm still weighing it all up..... do I have the space for it etc...... I'm bursting out all over here!
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:50 pm 
Post subject:

Pete. Because I clicked on it to have a look, I've been emailed to say that the buyer would accept £16, so it's a start.
Cheeky bid of a tenner should get it for about £12?
Blackjack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:18 pm 
Post subject:

I had it as a kid, the red on which must have been from the 60's, and i absolutely loved it .... i think i may have binned mine a few years ago and ive just looked on ebay now and there seems a few of them on there.... i was also into Subbuteo too and have just found all my Subbuteo stuff from 30 to 40 years ago including stands, terraces etc Smile go for the Wembley game mate, you won't be disappointed i promise
cardiff55

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:53 pm 
Post subject:

I think I'll try and get one, my mate had one late 1960s but I was more in to Subutteo. Also I did buy and still have Soccerama and Soccerboss, bot excellent too.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:57 pm 
Post subject:

Soccerboss was the one with the little coloured men....red , blue green and yellow I think. My brother and I found it under the bed in our parents room and played it ...then had to pretend we didn't know how when we got it for Christmas
NWM Football

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:01 am 
Post subject:

I have around five different editions of Wembley, starting with the original 1955 issue which has 3rd Div North/South around the bottom edge of the board, one from around about 1962, the 1967 edition, the 1970 version which seems to be the most commonplace, and one from a couple of years later. All good fun seeing which teams have moved divisions and which have been replaced completely. Had a little spin with one of the sets a couple of weeks ago, but as always, 3rd Division clubs kept winning it !
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: