Football Programmes Centre

The Jam at Woking FC mid 1970s
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Jam at Woking FC mid 1970s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:54 pm 
Post subject: The Jam at Woking FC mid 1970s

As well as football, one of my other passions is arguably the greatest British band of the last 50 years - The Jam. One of their regular early gig venues was Kingfield Social Club at Woking FC. If anyone has a WFC programme with the band listed in the forthcoming attractions at the club I would love a photo. Upcoming Social Club events were a regular feature in the programme so there's a good chance Weller and co would be in there somewhere. The seasons would be 74/5 and 75/6 - by late 76 The Jam were on their way to stardom and had outgrown small venues like WFC. Over to you folks and thanks in advance of any help. Mark Thumbs Up
badhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:15 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry, I can't help with anything on The Jam.

Assume you know Style Council video for Solid Bond In Your Heart was filmed at Woking FC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIZxNy2i5EQ
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Badhand
Thanks for looking anyway, yeah, I knew TSC video was filmed at Kingfield and what a bag of ***** it is too! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
If you do ever come across a WFC programme with a Jam ad in please let me know, I would be very grateful.
Diolch yn fawr iawn
Mark Thumbs Up
holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:36 pm 
Post subject: The jam

Hi Mark
Had this today on my Twitter feed.
As far as I know The Jam only played the Cardinal Club @wokingfc once, on the 23rd May 1975 and I don't think any photos exist (I'll ask Rick Buckler the next time I see him). Weller returned in 1983 with The Style Council for their Solid Bond video.

Hope this helps Thumbs Up
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Holtie
Thanks for that info. I really don't rate that Solid Bond version by TSC (or the video), The Jam did it far better imho. In Steve Brookes' book Keeping The Flame he implies the band played the Cardinal Club on a few occasions, maybe they were talent shows, Battle of the Bands or support slots where they would be uncredited but at least I can seek out Woking programmes from late April/early May 1975 to see if that gig was listed in there somewhere. The depth of knowledge and the breadth of subject matter on this forum is truly astonishing!
Diolch yn fawr iawn a chadwch y fydd! Mark Thumbs Up
holtie96

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:14 pm 
Post subject: Woking

Pleasure Mark
The reply came from Mark Doyle who is the ‘historian’ for Woking fc and has a wealth of knowledge, he is a very helpful and generous guy, so feel free to message him @cardinaltales on Twitter.
Best wishes
Holtie
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:42 pm 
Post subject:

I saw Paul Weller a few weeks back at my local cafe. All he kept doing for an hour was ordering desserts.
He just sat there, eatin' trifles, eatin' trifles.

Get My Coat
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

Cheers Holtie - I will drop him a line and CodeXIII, that joke is almost painful! Thumbs Up Shocked
les

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:10 pm 
Post subject: One here at Woking in 1973.

A bit of information on here. Kingfield Social Club in 1973 - Kingsfield Social Club, Woking - Talent contest - Won by The Jam playing Reelin' an' Rockin'

https://web.archive.org/web/20130816015007/https://thejam.org.uk/gigs.html
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: