Football Programmes Centre

Where there's one there is not two
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Where there's one there is not two
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluejames

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:50 am 
Post subject:

Waking up to the forthcoming cup match between Tranmere Rovers v Manchester United.Just watched Sky and seen people talking about this being the first time the two teams have met at Prenton Park
This is incorrect as they met during the World War 2 seasons
Here's a little gem from the 1944/45 season.
United won 4-2 in front of a crowd of just 1500
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63580000@N04/7197412540/in/album-72157706061352781/

To balance this off i offer the game between these two teams at Old Trafford from 1941/42 where United won 6-1 in front of a packed crowd of 2,000!!
Rowley scored 5
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63580000@N04/7247516554/in/album-72157629843525648/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63580000@N04/7247523278/in/album-72157629843525648/
kempo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:31 am 
Post subject: where there,s one there is not two

bluejames

you are forgetting football did,nt start until 1992 as sky keep telling us.
bluejames

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:23 am 
Post subject:

My mistake

Sorry!!

Wave Wave
Thumbs Up
cribsie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:31 pm 
Post subject:

I recently picked up this lovely press photo (a 'Berkshire Chronicle' stamp is just visible on the back) after spotting it on a Facebook group and making a cheeky offer!

Had his Reading career not been interrupted by the war, centre-forward Magnus 'Tony' MacPhee would be far and away the club's all-time record goal scorer. As he worked in a reserved occupation for the local aircraft industry, he was able to play war-time football for Reading on a regular basis. During that time he scored 217 times which, added to those he notched in regular pre and post-war football, gave him an impressive total of 321 goals in 377 games. This lovely photo shows him before a well deserved benefit game against Aston Villa in May 1949, played in front of an Elm Park crowd of 15,000. He retired from playing at the end of that season and sadly died in 1960 at the age of just 46.

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:55 am 
Post subject:

Haydock Modern Old Boys v Manchester United "Colts" 1949-1950 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

If you want to read more about this genuine rare item where perhaps on this occasion this may well be the only copy in existence left perhaps, maybe? then click on the image itself.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:03 pm 
Post subject: In Memoriam Cards

Quite naturally looking at extremely genuinely rare items that have been salvaged from the dust bins of time over the years, then as collectors this cannot simply be down to football programmes alone of course.

The comical In Memoriam cards that were to take the Pee out of the other clubs supporters and were all produced by some spurious printers up and down the country to earn a few coppers have all but disappeared over the sands of time.

This link https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcvoYPt will show a few that I have been fortunate over the years to find and most at quite a cost as well, yes I am unaware of any others but I still have to consider "where there is one, there maybe two.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:18 pm 
Post subject: Estudiantes de la Plata 1968 v Manchester United

Once in a while something shows up that is a one off, yes I know t is not a mass produced item that have all disappeared, but this particular postcard is unique in a few ways.

Firstly, it was considered no United fans ever went, this postcard shows that there were United supporters who made the journey.

Secondly, the card is as you can see fully signed by the United team and Matt Busby and went through the postal systems of 2 countries, today that could never happen as it would have been stolen and ended up on some site for sale!!!

Thirdly, the recipient of the his pals efforts to write to him is no more than a mile or so away from me now.

This was an item sold by a Postcard Dealer on Ebay.

Exceptional item, one of a kind for sure![unless they sent out to other mates at the time!
An original postcard from Buenos Aries signed by Manchester United 1968 by Leslie Millman, on Flickr

Wave

That's it from me for the moment Wave

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: